OLD PC - to splash-screen, no further

Kasper_MC

Hi guys

A friend of mines girlfriend needs a PC for internetbrowsing (jobhunting), so I said I'd put together a system for her out of old parts I have. 
So it's an AM2+ CPU with 4 gb ram and a Nvidia 560 GPU - parts not worth much in any other case, but I think fine for her purpose. 

It boots, gets to the splash-screen and reads "please press DEL or F2 to enter UEFI BIOS setting" - the keyboard is lighting up on the numlock, but is not responding at all. I works on other systems, so it's not that. 

Things I've tried:
- reboot
- all other USB's for the KB on the system
- Other buttons on the KB (functionkeys, Enter, Escape, shift+enter, and all the more unusual ones)
- another KB

- the PS/2 port (with adapter to a USB keyboard)

- jumping the CLRTC pins on the motherboard to reset CMOS

- changing the CMOS battery

Any ideas?

Replaced the CMOS battery yet?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Replaced the CMOS battery yet?

Nope - could that be dead, when I get a post? 

Yep it can give just the symptoms you have. Not that common nowadays anymore but on older gear yes.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Yep it can give just the symptoms you have. Not that common nowadays anymore but on older gear yes.

Alright - I'll try that and report back - don't have any at home, but need to go get infected with Corona anyways #getitoverwith

- thanks!

Tried changing the CMOS battery - no change - thanks for the advice though :)

2 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

What motherboard does the system have

A68HM - PLUS

7 minutes ago, Kasper_MC said:

A68HM - PLUS

The keyboard or mouse may not be compatible, as I've heard of many having keyboard that didn't work in the bios but worked when the OS was booted.

Also here's a link to Asus's FAQ on this motherboard regarding the issue you described

https://www.asus.com/uk/support/FAQ/1042134

2 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

The keyboard or mouse may not be compatible, as I've heard of many having keyboard that didn't work in the bios but worked when the OS was booted.

Also here's a link to Asus's FAQ on this motherboard regarding the issue you described

https://www.asus.com/uk/support/FAQ/1042134

Thanks - I've tried two different keyboards. Both of them light up in the "numlock" LED, so the USB's are providing power. But maybe I'll have to put a drive with windows on in the system, from another machine and see if it'll boot? 

4 minutes ago, Kasper_MC said:

Thanks - I've tried two different keyboards. Both of them light up in the "numlock" LED, so the USB's are providing power. But maybe I'll have to put a drive with windows on in the system, from another machine and see if it'll boot? 

You could try doing so but I doubt it would actually fix the issue. If the system does automatically boot the drive than that's good news. Then you could just take the drive you initially wanted to install windows on and put it in your own system and install windows then put it back and setup things like drivers

Just now, AndreiArgeanu said:

You could try doing so but I doubt it would actually fix the issue. If the system does automatically boot the drive than that's good news. Then you could just take the drive you initially wanted to install windows on and put it in your own system and install windows then put it back and setup things like drivers

Yeah, something like that - I'd still like to be able to get to bios and have a clean install - but life's tough I guess :)

I'll report back with the progress - thanks!