What should I do with a dead GPU?

N7_RiZe

Hey everyone! Long story long, my 980Ti sadly passed away a few weeks ago, literally a few minutes into Forza 7, pretty much out of nowhere in a race loading screen.
After quite a bit of troubleshooting I thought it was my PSU that died, also the same age as the GPU, however still in warranty. I got a 2nd PSU for testing/replacement. The PC did not turn on at all no matter what.
There was one final idea I had before testing if the mobo or CPU was dead, the GPU. Luckily I have a spare 780Ti (don't ask why, it was a stupid ebay impulse snipe) and the PC turned on fine with it inside.

I contacted EVGA yesterday to ask if there's any service they offer, as the card manufacturer, but they just sent a sorry note.
From what I said they suggested it was a short circuit.
I don't know about you guys but that most likely shouldn't happen to a card that just turned 4+ years old. Surely there's some hope for the card (perhaps I'm still processing the loss lmao).
Looking online the only method seems to be the heating up method unless I'm a board genius.

So yeah... I'm still saddened by the card dying, but what do I do with it now? It'd be nice to hear any stories anyone has.
Thanks.

Probably nothing to do but replace it. Whats your budget in $$ and wattage? There's a good supply of used hardware and some affordable new hardware that can match the 980ti or pass it up. I just got a Vega 56 which is roughly on the same performance level as the 980ti, I overpaid a little because it's a limited edition nitro+ model but they can be had for around $200 used in good condition. For a little more you can get a new RTX 2060.

it had a nice and long run, just bury it in the backyard and give her a proper funeral. everyone in the forum will light a candle for your loss.

4 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Probably nothing to do but replace it. Whats your budget in $$ and wattage? There's a good supply of used hardware and some affordable new hardware that can match the 980ti or pass it up. I just got a Vega 56 which is roughly on the same performance level as the 980ti, I overpaid a little because it's a limited edition nitro+ model but they can be had for around $200 used in good condition. For a little more you can get a new RTX 2060.

My budget for now is to save up and see what's what, PSU is 750w so anything is doable. If I were to upgrade from the 980Ti, I would've looked at a RTX 2070Super/anything around there, adding in the used cost of the working 980Ti. The 780Ti is completely fine for now, just RIP any high fps for my 144htz monitor. 980Ti will sit on my shelf for now or maybe sell on as broken, not sure yet (I see a dead reference 980Ti going on a £40 bid). EVGA in the reply recommended me to go for the 1660 Super for a replacement but I'd rather get an actual upgrade. 2060 is also a good option, messing with ray tracing would be nice. But I want to wait it out for now.

15 minutes ago, N7_RiZe said:

My budget for now is to save up and see what's what, PSU is 750w so anything is doable. If I were to upgrade from the 980Ti, I would've looked at a RTX 2070Super/anything around there, adding in the used cost of the working 980Ti. The 780Ti is completely fine for now, just RIP any high fps for my 144htz monitor. 980Ti will sit on my shelf for now or maybe sell on as broken, not sure yet (I see a dead reference 980Ti going on a £40 bid). EVGA in the reply recommended me to go for the 1660 Super for a replacement but I'd rather get an actual upgrade. 2060 is also a good option, messing with ray tracing would be nice. But I want to wait it out for now.

Makes sense, there's some new products on the horizon touting big promises.