Secondary work/light gaming PC

Monster_King

Hey all, I'm building a PC with used parts that I found pretty cheaply, and I need a good enough GPU for it because I don't want to rely on integrated one. I found an Q9650 with motherboard combo, and 8GB of DDR3 (I think 1600Mhz) . What is the appropriate GPU for this combo? I'm planning to play games that are approximately 10 years old. 

I guess you should be looking at gtx 750ti's, 1050ti's, 970's, rx 480's, rx 560's and 70's. I mean, there are so many appropriate gpu's. Do you already have a power supply included with that motherboard etc? If so, you might want to go with a low-power gtx 750ti or 1050ti.

4 minutes ago, lightfire said:

I guess you should be looking at gtx 750ti's, 1050ti's, 970's, rx 480's, rx 560's and 70's. I mean, there are so many appropriate gpu's. Do you already have a power supply included with that motherboard etc? If so, you might want to go with a low-power gtx 750ti or 1050ti.

I have a power supply that is 450W and I hope that it works because last time I turned it on was 5 years ago

1 minute ago, Monster_King said:

I have a power supply that is 450W and I hope that it works because last time I turned it on was 5 years ago

Does it have PCI-E connectors? If so, which ones? Might be important since some of the older "high-end" gpu's like 970 and 980 might be in your budget but they do require external power.

Also, what specific model power supply is it? Last thing you'd want is a broken pc due to a power supply going bad.

33 minutes ago, lightfire said:

Does it have PCI-E connectors? If so, which ones? Might be important since some of the older "high-end" gpu's like 970 and 980 might be in your budget but they do require external power.

Also, what specific model power supply is it? Last thing you'd want is a broken pc due to a power supply going bad.

It has one 6pin and I don't know the model because the sticker fell off long ago. 

Okay, if you intend on using that power supply, you'll want to check if the gpu has a 6-pin connector. As your power supply will currently not support more than 6 pins. I know that some gtx 970's have 6 pins (like mine, gigabyte gtx 970 ITX), not sure about other gpu's, but that's something you'll want to look at. 

If you get a new power supply (which I would honestly recommend), that probably won't be an issue since it will most likely have plenty of pci-e connectors.

1 minute ago, lightfire said:

Okay, if you intend on using that power supply, you'll want to check if the gpu has a 6-pin connector. As your power supply will currently not support more than 6 pins. I know that some gtx 970's have 6 pins (like mine, gigabyte gtx 970 ITX), not sure about other gpu's, but that's something you'll want to look at. 

If you get a new power supply (which I would honestly recommend), that probably won't be an issue since it will most likely have plenty of pci-e connectors.

I think I'll get a new power supply because I can see that this one was repaired. It works fine but I wouldn't bet on reliability. I'll probably get an rm750x from corsair.