Help needed in selecting a motherboard for a file server cum pc

Hello folks,

I am looking for a motherboard suggestions for a file server. This setup is not going to be only a standalone server setup but also an everyday use PC. It has to have dual ethernet ports. A minimum of 5 hard disk drives would be connected with 6th one to be added in near future. Data transfer speed is the top priority. Most of the time, each hard disk would be reading out at max speed simultaneously. No transcoding is required and this PC would not be used for any CPU or GPU intensive work load. The cost has to be kept minimum. 

Suggestions would be of great help to me.

Thank you

If you don't need the latest most powerful hardware the 2nd hand market on eBay would probably be your best bet for budget workstation/server hardware.

Do you have a socket in mind?

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If you don't need the latest most powerful hardware the 2nd hand market on eBay would probably be your best bet for budget workstation/server hardware.

Do you have a socket in mind?

Hey buddy, Thanks for replying

Ebay is unavailable in my country. Though, I would manage to get 2nd hardware probably from local individual sellers or stores.

Nothing in mind as of now but I would stick with Intel processors. Wouldn't not mind any combination if it serves the purpose and doesn't cost much

50 minutes ago, R.Ranjan said:

Hey buddy, Thanks for replying

Ebay is unavailable in my country. Though, I would manage to get 2nd hardware probably from local individual sellers or stores.

Nothing in mind as of now but I would stick with Intel processors. Wouldn't not mind any combination if it serves the purpose and doesn't cost much

Do you have a particular budget in mind? Do you just need a board or a full tower?

On 3/8/2020 at 9:28 PM, Windows7ge said:

Do you have a particular budget in mind? Do you just need a board or a full tower?

Actually, I have to get it done. What it cost doesn't matter. But the primary objective is to keep the cost lowest possible. That is why I didn't go for a separate NAS and a PC

19 minutes ago, R.Ranjan said:

Actually, I have to get it done. What it cost doesn't matter. But the primary objective is to keep the cost lowest possible. That is why I didn't go for a separate NAS and a PC

If you need a board with built-in 2 Gbit network ports perhaps the C236M WS will get it done. Doesn't require the most powerful CPUs. Moderm-ish. Has enough onboard SATA ports.

Are you looking for IPMI though? I don't think this board has it.

23 minutes ago, R.Ranjan said:

Have a look at second hand pcs i got mine (with a quite powerful cpu) from bulk rubbish so you can find some good ones cheap/free

Blake has arrived!!

Just your local tech geek!

Love to help!

On 3/10/2020 at 9:56 AM, Windows7ge said:

If you need a board with built-in 2 Gbit network ports perhaps the C236M WS will get it done. Doesn't require the most powerful CPUs. Moderm-ish. Has enough onboard SATA ports.

Are you looking for IPMI though? I don't think this board has it.

Thanks for the suggestion. It suffices my needs; would be a great choice but unfortunately it's unavailable here.

IPMI is not a deciding factor, would have been a welcome addition.

Any other suggestion...?

On 3/10/2020 at 9:59 AM, Spoiled_Kitten said:

Have a look at second hand pcs i got mine (with a quite powerful cpu) from bulk rubbish so you can find some good ones cheap/free

Keeping an eye on that too; has not found any yet.

2 hours ago, R.Ranjan said:

Thanks for the suggestion. It suffices my needs; would be a great choice but unfortunately it's unavailable here.

IPMI is not a deciding factor, would have been a welcome addition.

Any other suggestion...?

How about the Supermicro X11SAE-M

On 3/11/2020 at 9:21 PM, Windows7ge said:

How about the Supermicro X11SAE-M

Unfortunately, it's unavailable, both online & offline.

At first, I assumed; all I have to do is just decide the make and model but now it appears to be a long search

Anyways, Thanks man. 

1 hour ago, R.Ranjan said:

Unfortunately, it's unavailable, both online & offline.

At first, I assumed; all I have to do is just decide the make and model but now it appears to be a long search

Anyways, Thanks man. 

You could use any old motherboard and just install an network card & HBA to get both your extra network port and 6+ SATA ports.