Looking for some assistance and guidance setting up my living room.

Skipple

Hi everyone,

I currently have some gear. I am not sure how good it is but I will start off by telling you what I have. 

• Center: Definitive Technology Pro Center 1000
  • Bookshelves: 2x Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800
  • Sub: Pinnacle QAC12 12" 225 Watt
  • Receiver: Denon AVR-3311CI

Currently my center and both my bookshelves are sitting on the console with my TV and my sub off the to side. Not ideal, I know.

I want to upgrade to a full 5.1. (I think 5.1 will benefit me the most vs 7.1 with my room) 

I was thinking about taking the two ProMonitor 800s and mounting them off to the side ceilings for L/R surround and getting two new tower speakers for the Front L/R. 

Here is a diagram of my room with my new setup idea:

Pnr5Bft.png

Any comments regarding this room set up and/or equipment I currently have? I will also take suggestions for Front L/R speakers as well. 

Thanks!

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

13 minutes ago, Skipple said:

Hi everyone,

I currently have some gear. I am not sure how good it is but I will start off by telling you what I have. 

• Center: Definitive Technology Pro Center 1000
  • Bookshelves: 2x Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800
  • Sub: Pinnacle QAC12 12" 225 Watt
  • Receiver: Denon AVR-3311CI

Currently my center and both my bookshelves are sitting on the console with my TV and my sub off the to side. Not ideal, I know.

I want to upgrade to a full 5.1. (I think 5.1 will benefit me the most vs 7.1 with my room) 

I was thinking about taking the two ProMonitor 800s and mounting them off to the side ceilings for L/R surround and getting two new tower speakers for the Front L/R. 

Here is a diagram of my room with my new setup idea:

Pnr5Bft.png

Any comments regarding this room set up and/or equipment I currently have? I will also take suggestions for Front L/R speakers as well. 

Thanks!

The receiver is a great, slightly older model, originally retailed for around 1500 dollars, and has most of the features of my Bryston SP4, which is many times the price. Denon stuff is great.

That setup would work, but I would suggest moving the surround to the left of the door, then move the other surround towards the sofa aswell.

For the front speakers, I can make some recommendations. What is your budget?

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

1 minute ago, Derkoli said:

For the front speakers, I can make some recommendations. What is your budget?

Thanks for the assistance. I wouldn't want to spend more than 150-200 a speaker. 

I was also thinking of mounting similar bookshelves in the front corners instead of the floorstanding speakers. Thoughts? What would be better quality over all? Worth saving the floorspace footprint from the speakers? 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

Just now, Skipple said:

Thanks for the assistance. I wouldn't want to spend more than 150-200 a speaker. 

I was also thinking of mounting similar bookshelves in the front corners instead of the floorstanding speakers. Thoughts? What would be better quality over all? Worth saving the floorspace footprint from the speakers? 

If you are going to mount some bookshelves, don't do it in a corner. Mount them next to the TV, roughly in an equilateral triangle with you.

Image result for speaker placement

For speakers, the Dali Spektor 2's would work well as you have a subwoofer. Dali stuff sounds amazing to my ears, and I think they look quite nice.

https://www.amazon.com/DALI-Spektor-2-Black-Ash/dp/B01MUAJ5UM/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=dali+spektor&qid=1583631703&sr=8-2

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

2 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

snip

Perfect. Thanks for the suggestions. 

Unfortunately putting wall mounted Front L/R in the configuration you suggested isn't a real possibility for me due to windows in the way where you are suggesting. If I was to mount the front speakers they would have to be off in the corner, so I will stick to floor speakers then. 

ask me about my homelab

Just now, Skipple said:

Perfect. Thanks for the suggestions. 

Unfortunately putting wall mounted Front L/R in the configuration you suggested isn't a real possibility for me due to windows in the way where you are suggesting. If I was to mount the front speakers they would have to be off in the corner, so I will stick to floor speakers then. 

For floor speakers take a look at Klipsch, or the Sony SSCS3. The SS stuff is amazing for the price.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-core-series-dual-5-3-way-floorstanding-speaker-each-black/5926456.p?skuId=5926456

You could mount two speakers in the corners, As your AVR has room correction. It's just corner mounting speakers usually boosts the bass a bunch and doesn't sound good without room correction/EQ

If you were to corner mount, the Dali's would be great. Or if you wanted to go cheaper, The SSC25 would be great also.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-core-series-5-3-way-bookshelf-speakers-pair-black/5721014.p?skuId=5721014

1 minute ago, Derkoli said:

For floor speakers take a look at Klipsch, or the Sony SSCS3. The SS stuff is amazing for the price.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-core-series-dual-5-3-way-floorstanding-speaker-each-black/5926456.p?skuId=5926456

You could mount two speakers in the corners, As your AVR has room correction. It's just corner mounting speakers usually boosts the bass a bunch and doesn't sound good without room correction/EQ

If you were to corner mount, the Dali's would be great. Or if you wanted to go cheaper, The SSC25 would be great also.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-core-series-5-3-way-bookshelf-speakers-pair-black/5721014.p?skuId=5721014

Wonderful! I will take all this into account when shopping around. Thanks for all your help :) 

ask me about my homelab

20 hours ago, Derkoli said:

He could probably mount them in front of some bass traps and be fine.

Surround setups can be a little odd, depending on the media you're playing things can sound a bit weird. The further apart the speakers are, the more "directionality" you can get from them, but then sometimes there's "smaller" or "closer" sound sources which can throw it off, and vice versa for having them be close. If your diagram is accurate though, I think about where you'd have the floorstanding speakers would be pretty good. Just remember you want to keep them around ear level. I would also agree to pull in the surrounds to either side of the sofa. The single chair is already in a sub-optimal position.

I will also say that honestly, surround sound really depends on the medium you're playing back. It'a A+ for games, but most movies don't do a whole lot with it outside of literal background noise, and music may as well not exist. Of course there's exceptions, but I'd honestly recommend someone who just wants to watch movies to invest in a good stereo.

#Muricaparrotgang