R9 270x with 4GB or 2GB of VRAM?

Brolaugh
Go to solution Solved by ThePcMasterRace,

i would recomend having the 4gb although 2 bg should do fine

Im planing on upgrading my GPU from my old Geforce 9600 GT. I looked at some GPUs and I thought that a 270x was a quite good sweetspot. The Twinfrozr card from MSI matched the rest of my rig so I thought that I would go with that. But there was two twinfrozr cards, one with 2GB and one with 4GB VRAM. Wanting to be able to run three monitors simultaneously while gaming at one (1x 1080p, 2x 1024*768) of them I thought that I would need 4GB to make to game flawless on DayZ, BF3 and Skyrim at maxed out settings. But after some googling I'm not that sure anymore. How much VRAM do I need?

TL;DR: Which one of these two graphics cards should I get if I wonna play on 1920*1080 while having two 1024*768 as utility screens?

MSI Twinfrozr 270x 2GB

MSI Twinfrozr 270x 4GB

2gb. If you even considered a 4gb card then a Gtx 760 is in your price range, and I would get that over a 270x.

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

2GB should be fine unless you plan to run larger than 1080p res, i run 3 1080p's surround on my 670 2gb and it doesnt max out the vram , almost tho..

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

I heard that you could overclock a 270 to the preformance of a 270x. Since I think I'm planing on buying the 4GB version that would be another reason to go for 2GB (but I would have a R9 270 then).

I heard that you could overclock a 270 to the preformance of a 270x. Since I think I'm planing on buying the 4GB version that would be another reason to go for 2GB (but I would have a R9 270 then).

Check the prices of the 760 before you make your final choice.

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

Check the prices of the 760 before you make your final choice.

760 is a bit pricy in my country (Sweden) it's $30 more than the 270x 4GB. Since my income is very small (I'm 16) those $30 more would make me save money for another month. And I am a bit of an AMD fan.

760 is a bit pricy in my country (Sweden) it's $30 more than the 270x 4GB. Since my income is very small (I'm 16) those $30 more would make me save money for another month. And I am a bit of an AMD fan.

Alright, either way you'll be happy.

Alright, either way you'll be happy.

That's all that matters right?

Historically buying additional VRAM has basically been worthless. Typically the way it works is that (a) most people buy the lower VRAM amount and (b) the games are written for the lower VRAM amount. But the other aspect here is the potential "future proofing" of the additional VRAM. This is also a questionable relationship because about the same time the VRAM is exceeded you also find so is the compute capabilities of the card. GPUs tend to be balanced, they come with enough VRAM to process games at a particular image quality but attempts to push past that usually degrade not just because VRAM is exceeded but also because the compute part of the GPU can't do it either. So in general buying more VRAM is always a swindle, it offers no benefit when its bought and rarely brings any benefit in the future. Not only that but they wildly overcharge you for it as well, its mostly for conning suckers out of money for higher margins.