Cluster computing for smartphones, can it reach desktop level performance?

Battousai1

Is it possible to do a clustered computing setup for smartphones or mobile devices and reach a performance similar to a conventional desktop gaming cpu? If yes, how many smartphones for example with an SoC of Snapdragon 855 can reach similar performance of an AMD APU (for example Ryzen 3400G) or an i7-7700+GTX 1060?

I asked this because, I noticed, gaming on a smartphone with a Snapdragon 855 looks really good and I wonder what factors contribute to these efficiencies, I am thinking this could be due largely to the CPU architecture of smartphones which is a RISC and not an x86.

8 minutes ago, Battousai1 said:

Is it possible to do a clustered computing setup for smartphones or mobile devices and reach a performance similar to a conventional desktop gaming cpu? If yes, how many smartphones for example with an SoC of Snapdragon 855 can reach similar performance of an AMD APU (for example Ryzen 3400G) or an i7-7700+GTX 1060?

That's not how it works, you can't run desktop-software like e.g. games on a cluster. You can only run software designed for clustering in a cluster and as such you can only compare the speed of a cluster to another cluster.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.