Swapping 1070 to 1080 ti

jsin44

Hello. This is probably an easy question but my 1070 has some stuttering with some VR application so I want to pick up a 1080 ti used and see how that handles things. Is it as simple as physically swapping the cards?

My mother board is an Msi z170a pro carbon.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks. And to replace the drivers I can just start up the Geforce Experience app and that will lead me through it?

That would be my understanding. I would use the custom install over the express install to have better control over the driver removal process

Simply swap out the cards, and reinstall proper drivers. If you run into any issues after that, you may need to do a "DDU" on the old driver. But you can worry about that if it happens. Congrats on the new (to you) card!

after selecting custom installation, check the box that says "perform a clean installation"

CPU makes a big difference in VR, are you sure the graphics card is to blame?

Also make sure to quote people so we can see your responses.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

CPU makes a big difference in VR, are you sure the graphics card is to blame?

Also make sure to quote people so we can see your responses.

I'm running an i7-6700K right now. Is that a capable enough cpu?

I was thinking of building a new rig around the 1080ti to use as my primary gaming pc and moving the 1070 into the living room. So if the i7-6700k is lacking I might have to accelerate those plans.

6 minutes ago, jsin44 said:

I'm running an i7-6700K right now. Is that a capable enough cpu?

I was thinking of building a new rig around the 1080ti to use as my primary gaming pc and moving the 1070 into the living room. So if the i7-6700k is lacking I might have to accelerate those plans.

The 6700K would be plenty for VR so hopefully the 1080 ti does the trick

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

9 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

The 6700K would be plenty for VR so hopefully the 1080 ti does the trick

Yes, hopefully. But since I'm totally hooked on Skyrim VR right now I'm prepared to to whatever it takes to get it smooth.

Thank for your feedback.