PSU compatibility

Epimetheus

Hey guys, my brother has recently upgraded his motherboard+cpu from an h110+pentium g4560 to a b350+ ryzen 5 1600 af. While at it, I was thinking of maybe using the motherboard and processor my brother isn't using to upgrade my father's pc, which is one of those prebuilts from hp with a 775 with a pentium e5500. Question is, would his power supply be compatible with the more modern motherboard?

The fact that it's a prebuilt might mean it's proprietary. You can check for yourself and see if it has a 20+4 pin motherboard power connector and a 4 pin or 8 pin CPU power connector

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Epimetheus said:

Hey guys, my brother has recently upgraded his motherboard+cpu from an h110+pentium g4560 to a b350+ ryzen 5 1600 af. While at it, I was thinking of maybe using the motherboard and processor my brother isn't using to upgrade my father's pc, which is one of those prebuilts from hp with a 775 with a pentium e5500. Question is, would his power supply be compatible with the more modern motherboard?

Check if the motherboard in the HP even has a 24 pin connector, because  often the prebuilt PC's do not.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, Epimetheus said:

@minibois@Fasauceome It looks like it's got a 24 pin motherboard connector and a 4 pin CPU connector. Will I be alright?

Likely.

That means it (the PC and its motherboard) adheres to the ATX standard. 

Do check if the new power supply has at least as much ampere on each of the voltage levels. Compare the labels on the side of the current and new PSU and see if the ampere is the same or higher on the new PSU.

Look on the label for 5V, 12V and 3.3V and see the A measurement next to it.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

5 hours ago, minibois said:

Likely.

That means it (the PC and its motherboard) adheres to the ATX standard. 

Do check if the new power supply has at least as much ampere on each of the voltage levels. Compare the labels on the side of the current and new PSU and see if the ampere is the same or higher on the new PSU.

Look on the label for 5V, 12V and 3.3V and see the A measurement next to it.

I'm not getting a new psu, I'm reusing the psu for the new motherboard and CPU. They're low power anyways (a gigabyte h110 and a pentium g4560)