Can THIS Protect Your Smartphone? - Ceramic Coatings

jakkuh_t

You've probably heard about ceramic coating a car to protect it's paint, but what if you tried to ceramic coat a smartphone?

Buy Ceramic Coating:

On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/ejIqacE

Receive an additional $25 credit for Ting today when you sign up at https://linus.ting.com/

Get iFixit's NEW Mahi Driver Kit today for only $29.99 USD at https://www.ifixit.com/linus 

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

I'd have liked it of they snuck in the liquid screen protectors actually sold for phones in too, to see if they've changed at all.

Ok, there is no point in coating Gorilla Glass if it's already tougher by itself. But what about plastic materials? Like, for example plastic case side panels that scratch just by looking at them. Maybe glossy AirPods case? Or plastic backs of cheaper phones. Shiny black piano finish plastics tend to scratch super easily. Would these coatings make a difference since they are suppose to be tougher than the material they are covering, not the other way around.

New-fangled? Been around for quite some time !

10 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

9H on a scale used for pencils. that sounds counterproductive on a durability perspective, considering pencils are meant to mark on surfaces by.... wearing off... the graphite-binder composite ._.

I think jayztwocents mentioned something about such coatings; i forgot what was the care advice for coats like that, but those are for cars, so....

EDIT: i get that making something to 9H on the Mohs scale would require something more than a simple spray and dry, but using that 9H number feels a little disingenuous somehow, although there are probably use cases of a softer scale. i'd get that it's a cm vs mm thing, but using the same units..... ugh

I bought cheap "curved" 9H protection glass for my iPhone XR and it's actually insanely tough. I was babysitting the phone before I got the protection glass and it already got hair like scuffs on the glass. Now that it has the 9H protection glass on the display I throw keys on it and just don't care about it at all and it still has no scratches. I'm suspecting this glass is really super hard, but would crack quickly on impact. iPhone XR display glass is softer to survive drops better, but scratches easier as a result.

So i'm wondering though, i have an old Gorilla Glass 3 phone. I forgot to apply a protector - those that i ordered came slightly badly cut... and i dropped it on asphalt around 2 dozen times... so the front glass has a little bit of damage, a few spots that are basically just worn through with microscratches so they're harder to clean off, and one little scratch. So the question is: well obviously this coating does not massively benefit a new Gorilla Glass 5 phone which just came out of the box. But does it improve the feel of a 4 year old heavily used phone?

To me it seems that if you got different results in the back compared to the front it means it wasn't properly applied. 

Read the instructions do it properly (quite a tall order considering how LTT videos are made) and then see what happens.