NAS Software

I am wondering what good NAS software is out there? I know about FreeNAS, but that is about it. Are there any suggestions for the best software to use for a personal use NAS for 1-2 computers?

Gaming PC

CPU: Ryzen 3700X GPU: EVGA 2060 Super XC Ultra Gaming MB: MSI Prestige X570 Creation 

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x 16GB DDR4-3600 CL16 NVME: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: SeaSonic PRIME Gold 1000w Case: Corsair 680X RGB Black

NAS/Media Box

CPU: Ryzen 3200G  MB: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Elite

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) Corsair LPX DDR4-3000 M.2: WD Blue 500 GB

PSU: Rosewill Photon 850W 80+ Gold Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo

I am also aware about UNRAID, but I don't really know the benefits between those two, or if there is one that is better for my use.

Gaming PC

CPU: Ryzen 3700X GPU: EVGA 2060 Super XC Ultra Gaming MB: MSI Prestige X570 Creation 

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x 16GB DDR4-3600 CL16 NVME: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280

NAS/Media Box

3 minutes ago, LaughingHyena said:

I am wondering what good NAS software is out there? I know about FreeNAS, but that is about it. Are there any suggestions for the best software to use for a personal use NAS for 1-2 computers?

Hello,

We use Synology at work but it also work with the browser directly, it's quite decent too.

https://www.synology.com/en-global

Just now, Plouffe said:

Hello,

We use Synology at work but it also work with the browser directly, it's quite decent too.

https://www.synology.com/en-global

Does Synology work with a custom built NAS, or only with their builds?

Gaming PC

NAS/Media Box

3 minutes ago, LaughingHyena said:

Does Synology work with a custom built NAS, or only with their builds?

I have no idea about that, I didn't set up the NAS myself.

So I looked at the server and it's a custom one, so I'd say it should work for you too, I have no idea if it's free though but knowing my boss it is :D

4 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

So I looked at the server and it's a custom one, so I'd say it should work for you too, I have no idea if it's free though but knowing my boss it is :D

Haha! From what I have been able to find, it looks like the Synology software is free with synology drive systems, but you can't get it separately.

Gaming PC

NAS/Media Box

Synology DSM is proprietary for their hardware.

There are somewhat janky unofficial ways to get it to run on SOME custom builds, LTT actually just made a video about that.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Synology DSM is proprietary for their hardware.

There are somewhat janky unofficial ways to get it to run on SOME custom builds, LTT actually just made a video about that.

I saw that video, and I would like something a little less janky, and more straight-forward, at least setup/install wise. I wish Synology was available for download.

Gaming PC

NAS/Media Box

42 minutes ago, LaughingHyena said:

Haha! From what I have been able to find, it looks like the Synology software is free with synology drive systems, but you can't get it separately.

Synology DSM is for Synology devices. There is an open version called XPEnology which can be used on custom built devices for those that like DSM but it has limited hardware support so you need to check their compatibility list if you go that way. 

Freenas is a powerful system great for pure storage. Its very scalably from a few disks up to cross-datacenter sized deployments with ZFS synchronization or Gluster.

Its downside is it can be more complex to get your head around, you need to make your investment in disks upfront as expanding is complicated, and being based on FreeBSD it has more limited hardware support than Linux and its built in Virtual Machine system (bhyve) is limited. 

Unraid is a good option for smaller cases (can only use 24 devices in an array), but it is easily expandable as its array isnt striped. 

Its downside is its speed due to not having traditional RAID, you are limited to disk speed for Reads (e.g about 150-180MB/s), but its positive is that it has extensive Plugin support, it has very wide hardware support being Linux and it uses QEMU/KVM for Virtual Machines, as well as Docker support. Its an easy choice if you dont need the fastest performance but want to be able to do virtualisation. 

Some other NAS specific OS to look at are Rockstor (BTRFS Raid solution), OMV (Uses Linux RAID MDADM which is very robust) and XigmaNAS (Believe this supports ZFS & MD). 

There are also several solutions such as OpenZFS, GlusterFS and MDADM which you can run on any distribution of Linux you want as long as you have the proficient knowhow of using the command line in Linux. If you're into running VM's then one of the ultimate boxes you can build is Proxmox VE on Debian, using ZFSonLinux. This gives you a strong virtualization platform with the best software storage solution. This can even be expanded with GlusterFS by doing Gluster on ZFS, which means you can have multiple boxes with ZFS and cluster their storage together. 

You can of course also go Windows and use Storage Spaces to create a Windows based fileshare. The advantage of this is that it natively supports NTFS permissions, so easy to configure your security, and security can be configured granulary. 

Lastly theres also hardware RAID which is quite affordable these days with controllers such as the LSI 9260-8i being less than $50. You can then have a robust storage solution on hardware controller, and run any Windows or Linux OS you want. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA