PBO - If I only use for a minute does it void the warranty?

Go to solution Solved by Lurick,

They have no way of knowing and basically you have to go out of your way to say you overclocked it and with a stupid amount of voltage at the same time. Really the only way they'll know for sure is if you dump like 1.7v into the CPU and disable all current protections and whatnot to stop it from shutting down.

Hi all,

I am wanting to try out PBO and AutoOC on my 3970x using the Aorus Master TRX40 to see how much faster it is, but if I don't see any noticeable improvements I will disable it. Will enabling it for 5 minutes void my warranty forever, or is it only void if I damage my processor WHILE having PBO enabled?

I would hate to use it for 5 minutes and disable it, only to find out my warranty is gone even though I don't use it at all afterwards!

Current specs:

FX-8350

Strix 970

1TB HDD

Noctua NH-D15

Some fans (just a few)

New specs (soon):

Ryzen 9 3900x

Strix 970

1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD

256GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Noctua NH-D15 cooler

A lot of fans

More fans

Did I mention fans?

They have no way of knowing and basically you have to go out of your way to say you overclocked it and with a stupid amount of voltage at the same time. Really the only way they'll know for sure is if you dump like 1.7v into the CPU and disable all current protections and whatnot to stop it from shutting down.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

There isn't anything you could do with the CPU in BIOS or software that could be used against your warranty claim unless you volunteer that information to AMD.

And is that AutoOC you mention in BIOS?  If it's what I think it is then it isn't utilizing PBO.  It will see what static all core overclock the CPU can achieve.  And it won't do the best job of it either.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

7 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Okay thank you very much for the quick answer! I will try it and disable afterwards without worry!! :D

Current specs:

FX-8350

Strix 970

1TB HDD

Noctua NH-D15

Some fans (just a few)

New specs (soon):

Ryzen 9 3900x

Strix 970

1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD

Noctua NH-D15 cooler

A lot of fans

More fans

Did I mention fans?

2 minutes ago, nick name said:

There isn't anything you could do with the CPU in BIOS or software that could be used against your warranty claim unless you volunteer that information to AMD.

And is that AutoOC you mention in BIOS?  If it's what I think it is then it isn't utilizing PBO.  It will see what static all core overclock the CPU can achieve.  And it won't do the best job of it either.  

Yeah you make a great point, I will not disable any safety measures. And yeah it is linked to PBO I think, it just pushes 200mhz above I seem to remember!

Current specs:

FX-8350

Strix 970

1TB HDD

Noctua NH-D15

Some fans (just a few)

New specs (soon):

Ryzen 9 3900x

Strix 970

1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD

Noctua NH-D15 cooler

A lot of fans

More fans

Did I mention fans?

39 minutes ago, Guy Marshall said:

Hi all,

I am wanting to try out PBO and AutoOC on my 3970x using the Aorus Master TRX40 to see how much faster it is, but if I don't see any noticeable improvements I will disable it. Will enabling it for 5 minutes void my warranty forever, or is it only void if I damage my processor WHILE having PBO enabled?

I would hate to use it for 5 minutes and disable it, only to find out my warranty is gone even though I don't use it at all afterwards!

Your warranty is void just for asking! They know where you sleep and what forums you frequent. They now have all the proof they need to deny every RMA you ever submit for the rest of your life!