Should I bother?

mikestrong88

Currently running the NZXT H500i case with the GPU vertical. I've got an AIO for the CPU with the fans on the outside of the rad to pull air into the rad. 

The temps on my cpu are great but my 2060 super is hovering around the maximum safe temps (in winter in the UK). 

Would adding better exhaust fans to the H500i top and rear make enough of a difference to justify it? I really like the GPU vertical but it's SO close to the side panel that I don't want to do any damage. Out of interest I took off the panel and viewed temps and it dropped 8 degrees with it off, so it's definitely having an effect on the card temps. 

Pic to show the build. 20200215_122553.thumb.jpg.d615f795c300cb083f5a0af0077c3da4.jpg

3 minutes ago, Slottr said:

What temps is the GPU hitting? 

It's pretty much locked in at 84c with the panel on. 77c ish without. I can't say I've seen it any higher than 84

Just now, mikestrong88 said:

It's pretty much locked in at 84c with the panel on. 77c without. I can't say I've seen it any higher than 84

I'd probably mount the radiator at the top and introduce another fan to the front

Or move the gpu back into the horizontal position.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

How high is your heating, because im in UK but because my heating is so high my PC runs hot. Although that probably wont make a huge difference for you, my PC is next to my radiator so yeah

PC: Ryzen 7 2700 | RX 5700 XT | Asus Prime B450-PLUS | CoolerMaster Masterwatt 600W | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz RAM | 512GB NVME SSD & 7TB combined HDD | macOS Monterey 12.6.6, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and WIndows 10 Pro x64

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" 2015 | i7-4870HQ | R9 M370X | 16gb | 1tb SSD

iPhone 13 Pro Max | 256GB | iOS 15.7

My Folding Stats | #MuricaParrotGang

Just now, Slottr said:

I'd probably mount the radiator at the top and introduce another fan to the front

Or move the gpu back into the horizontal position.

There's only a vent for a single fan up top and this is a 280mm rad so sadly I can't mount it up top. 

I really like the vertical placement so I was thinking maybe better fans for exhaust. I'm fairly new to all of this so I don't know if better exhaust fans would actually improve anything. 

1 minute ago, Guiltyx said:

How high is your heating, because im in UK but because my heating is so high my PC runs hot. Although that probably wont make a huge difference for you, my PC is next to my radiator so yeah

House tends to be around 20c. The PC is now mounted on the desk and there is actually a radiator in the room. I'm just wondering if the temps will go beyond safe, when we have our week of summer ? 

There's only a vent for a single fan up top and this is a 280mm rad so sadly I can't mount it up top. 

I really like the vertical placement so I was thinking maybe better fans for exhaust. I'm fairly new to all of this so I don't know if better exhaust fans would actually improve anything. 

Ramp up the rpm for the gpu fans then. If that doesn't work I would probably suck it up and go horizontal

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, Slottr said:

Ramp up the rpm for the gpu fans then. If that doesn't work I would probably suck it up and go horizontal

I'll give the fan curve a look at. So realistically better exhaust fans will make no worthwhile difference? 

Are those exhaust fans running at full speed?  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

I'll give the fan curve a look at. So realistically better exhaust fans will make no worthwhile difference? 

Don't think it would, no

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

Don't think it would, no

Yeah I thought that may be the case. I thought I'd ask though. Thanks for your help

and always undervolt the gpu, you will not notice any detrimental effects on performance. But certainly see a 4-5 degree drop in operating temperatures. 

For details, see the posted articles & videos.

I, and some of my mates have very good experiences with the method. 

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

8 hours ago, Vejnemojnen said:

and always undervolt the gpu, you will not notice any detrimental effects on performance. But certainly see a 4-5 degree drop in operating temperatures. 

That's awesome. Thank you very much, I'll have a look at that 

I would put exhaust on the AIO and all the rest intake, it might get better temps.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

On 3/1/2020 at 8:43 AM, Vejnemojnen said:

Just had a read through all of this. I will be honest, it scares me messing with clocks etc ?

If I try this, what is the worst that could happen?

32 minutes ago, mikestrong88 said:

Just had a read through all of this. I will be honest, it scares me messing with clocks etc ?

If I try this, what is the worst that could happen?

If You follow the video, nothing detrimental. Worst case, if You drop the voltage too much : under load, the pc will just exit from the game and throw You to the desktop. 

Don't be too radical. See how are the stock clocks while gaming, then try to adjust a lower voltage to that boost value. Ie, if your card boosts to 1864 mhz on 1.05v, try To edit the curve so that You reach the boost value with 0.95 v. This 0.1volt can reduce temperatures by 4-5celsius in most cases. 

Just follow the videos

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )