Smallest matx case?

nox_

Hello, I'm looking for a smallest possible matx case, I want to re-purpose my old hardware, no gpu will be installed, only 4 sata hard drives and an ssd, any recommendations? My only requirement is that it would accommodate 4 hard drives, other than that, not much else.

So far I'm looking at this one: https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-HAF-EVO-Motherboard/dp/B00FFJ0H3Q but I'm not sure what should suit my needs the best.

19 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Hello, I'm looking for a smallest possible matx case, I want to re-purpose my old hardware, no gpu will be installed, only 4 sata hard drives and an ssd, any recommendations? My only requirement is that it would accommodate 4 hard drives, other than that, not much else.

So far I'm looking at this one: https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-RC-110-KKN2-Midnight-Mini-ITX/dp/B00ID2FBU6 but I'm not sure what should suit my needs the best.

Are you looking for mATX or mITX? The case you linked is mini-ITX, which is much smaller.

2 minutes ago, Deli said:

Fractal Design Node 804

I've used the Node 804- it's much bigger than it looks. It's a little shorter than a standard microATX tower, but about twice as wide, so bulkier as a whole.

4 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

Are you looking for mATX or mITX? The case you linked is mini-ITX, which is much smaller.

I've used the Node 804- it's much bigger than it looks. It's a little shorter than a standard microATX tower, but about twice as wide, so bulkier as a whole.

The problem is he needs at least four 3.5" hard drive space. Cannot think of any small Matx case that has 4 bases other than the Node 804.

9 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

Are you looking for mATX or mITX

mATX, sorry I linked the wrong case.

12 minutes ago, Deli said:

Fractal Design Node 804

Dislike this one, also don't need the window and considering no gpu will be used, it's kinda big. But will put into consideration, because it fits all my hdd's.

9 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

mATX, sorry I linked the wrong case.

Dislike this one, also don't need the window and considering no gpu will be used, it's kinda big. But will put into consideration, because it fits all my hdd's.

Bitfenix Phenom mATX:

https://www.bitfenix.com/products/chassis/micro-atx/phenom-micro-atx/

my preferred ones do not have that many 3.5" spaces. But, they are: Thermaltake Versa H18, InWin 301c, Fractal Design Meshify Mini C and Silverstone PS15. But 4 3.5 drives make finding a suitable case very difficult.

Browse through this table:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dzRY3LLsXcDX5Qt5PvQOrAJhw0EK9Cy7UtQPdyRp6PY/edit#gid=0

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

37 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

So far I'm looking at this one: https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-HAF-EVO-Motherboard/dp/B00FFJ0H3Q but I'm not sure what should suit my needs the best.

There is nothing small about the HAF XB EVO. It's a rectangle that roughly 18" by 18" square, weighs almost 20 lbs. empty and is designed for a full ATX board.

If you're open to using a 5.25" to 3.25" adapter, you could go with something that has internal space for 3 HDDs and one in the optical drive slot. That opens up a lot more options to you. It's easier to find a smaller mATX case with 3 HDD slots and one ODD slot than it is to find a compact mATX case with four HDD slots. Here's a good starting point for you:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/case/#t=5,7,6,8&J=3,4&G=0,1&sort=price&page=1

Also, if your drives are all fairly small in terms of space used, it might be worth buying one or two bigger drives to move their data onto and replace them with. 4TB drives are sub-$100.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

6 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

There is nothing small about the HAF XB EVO. It's a rectangle that roughly 18" by 18" square, weighs almost 20 lbs. empty and is designed for a full ATX board.

If you're open to using a 5.25" to 3.25" adapter, you could go with something that has internal space for 3 HDDs and one in the optical drive slot. That opens up a lot more options to you. It's easier to find a smaller mATX case with 3 HDD slots and one ODD slot than it is to find a compact mATX case with four HDD slots. Here's a good starting point for you:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/case/#t=5,7,6,8&J=3,4&G=0,1&sort=price&page=1

I know, it's too large,but I'm trying to buy locally, not that much to pick from. 5.25" to 3.25" adapter might just to the trick. Good idea, thank you.

6 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Also, if your drives are all fairly small in terms of space used, it might be worth buying one or two bigger drives to move their data onto and replace them with. 4TB drives are sub-$100.

Drives are 4 TB each, not really willing to replace these, they are fairly new and whole idea is to re purpose hardware that I already have

Edited by noxdeouroboros

7 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

I know, it's too large,but I'm trying to buy locally, not that much to pick from. 5.25" to 3.25" adapter might just to the trick. Good idea, thank you.

Drives are 4 TB each, not really willing to replace these, they are fairly new and whole idea is to re purpose hardware that I already have

Oh, yeah, 4TB drives don't bother. Way not worth it. You'd be surprised how many people have something like two 1TB drives, one 500GB drive and one 320GB drive, and they don't think that maybe it's cheaper and easier to replace them all with a 4TB drive than it would be to rebuild around them in a new case.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

8 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Oh, yeah, 4TB drives don't bother. Way not worth it. You'd be surprised how many people have something like two 1TB drives, one 500GB drive and one 320GB drive, and they don't think that maybe it's cheaper and easier to replace them all with a 4TB drive than it would be to rebuild around them in a new case.

I get that, not many people need that many TB's also. I used to do the same, but these days my hard drives are on 90% of the time so it's much better to have fewer and bigger drives, try not to use very old ones too.