Buy replacement GPU now or hold off

dlf

1. Budget & Location - For a GPU alone $550 seem reasonable? US (Texas if it really helps with parts choosen)

2. Aim

• Play games (Steam/GOG) 
  • - DOOM (2016)/eternal /newer wolfensteins
  • - Skyrim/Oblivion/Morrowind (all heavily modded) /other
  • - Baldur's Gate 3/2 / 1
  • - The Witcher 3/Cyberpunk 2077
  • - Batman: Arkham (Asylum/City/Origins/Knight)
  • - System Shock 1 (Remake)/SystemShock 3
  • - Grim Dawn / Titan quest
  • - Divinity Original sins (series)
  • - Others (Tomb Raider, Dishonored . . . . . . . . .)
  • - Emulation/older games (last decade/decades before)
  • Browse the web as well. I may try to fold proteins a little (folding@home)

3. Monitors

• BenQ EL2870U 28 inch 4K HDR
  • ASUS PB278Q 27 inch
  • May want try 144 hz although I may continue to wait for prices to come down more.

4. Peripherals

• No need for a mouse, or OS (using Linux, not windows). I may want a new keyboard since this current one (Microsoft Keywinder) is losing some of the look of the keys

5. Why are you upgrading?

• A (few) weeks ago my 7970 apparently died (too much dust in the fans, overheated) currently using the HD 4000 from my 3770k. Had the 7970 not died, or went later (like September or November) this year I'd probably have waited to change the CPU/motherboard/RAM/GPU (/powersupply) to play some of the newer games I couldn't get to with the 7970 . . . . .)  And yes I know I will apperently be bottlenecked by the CPU (3770k) by the GPU, as long as the games are still reasonably playable and don't hitch, freeze, stutter.

Misc:

Current specs
PCPartPicker Part List

I would like eventually replace the CPU/Motherboard/RAM (/Powersupply?) with:

PCPartPicker Part List

i don't know on motherboard and cpu if they will go down, but, maybe wait on gpu? amd is releasing the nvdia killer soon, and nvdia the 30x0 eries cards. since you're going a high end card, its possible the 2070/80 cards may become less expensive when the new ones come. 

main rig:

CPU: 8086k @ 4.00ghz-4.3 boost

PSU: 750 watt psu gold (Corsair rm750)

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

Mobo: Z390 taichi ultimate

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengence lpx @3000mhz speed

case: focus G black

Cooler: mugen 5 rev b,

Storage: 860 evo 1tb/ 120 gb corsair force nvme 500

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop/860 evo 500gb

You have no GPU other than the iGPU at the moment, yes?  So the question seems to be do you buy the 2070s in you planned build and put it in your current machine or buy a cheap GPU and wait for new releases.

The problem with new releases currently is their actual dates are even more unknown than usual, and the claimed capacities of upcoming navi21 GPUs have a lot of conflicting information surrounding them of very questionable quality.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Get the 2070s now. Get the rest whenever you have the money. Get the 3700x, as it's the same as 3800. Get a cheaper motherboard. A asus tuf x570 should do. Samsung drives are overpriced. Get hp 950, sabrent rocket, silicon power a80 or inland premium