Ryzen 3700x temperature

Hi

I recently upgraded my system with a 3700x and use the stock Wraith Prism cooler. Idle it hovers at 40°C to 50°C with the occasional spike to around 55°C, this seems fine to me.

When I'm gaming however it seems to get pretty hot. Then it reaches 77°C - 80°C fairly quickly and stays there, with spikes of up to 88°C. Ambient temperature is 21°C.

Is this normal for the 3700x? I only have A-XMP enabled, with no other overclocks. Windows power plan is on "better performance".

Things I already did to lower the temperature:

- Installed extra top exhaust fan.

- Updated BIOS to most recent version. (this lowered the stock idle temps by about 10°C)

- Set a custom fan curve for the CPU fan.

- Tried undervolting 0.1V (had no effect on performance or temperature, tested with Cinebench R20).

Full system specs:

CASE: Corsair Graphite 230T (2 stock intake fans, 1 stock rear exhaust and 1 extra top exhaust)

SSD: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1000GB Toshiba 7200RPM + Western Digital Black WD2003FZEX 2TB

PSU: Corsair VS Series VS650

MOBO: MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX

RAM: Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3600

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC

Are these temperatures fine?

Is there anything else I can do to try and reduce the temperature without spending to much money (on like a new cooler or case)?

Would replacing the stock cooling paste to something like Arctic Silver 5 help?

Thanks in advance!

Honestly this sounds pretty typical with the stock heatsink. I’m not sure which cpu temp you’re reading but I’m guessing it’s the die temp, the generic cpu socket temp tends to read lower under load.

If you are having actual thermal issues the processor should be running slow, if clocks are still well over base clock you’re probably just running into the limits of the cooler. Better thermal paste won’t help too much, a good aftermarket cooler will just help maintain marginally  higher boost clocks at full load.

Just be careful if you pull the heatsink off, try to give it a twist back and forth before pulling it up or the processor might pull right out of the socket 

41 minutes ago, CaptainTimba said:

Windows power plan is on "better performance".

I would switch to Ryzen Balanced power plan to start with.

Maybe try increasing the intake fan rpm if possible.

9 minutes ago, Arrogath said:

Honestly this sounds pretty typical with the stock heatsink. I’m not sure which cpu temp you’re reading but I’m guessing it’s the die temp, the generic cpu socket temp tends to read lower under load.

If you are having actual thermal issues the processor should be running slow, if clocks are still well over base clock you’re probably just running into the limits of the cooler. Better thermal paste won’t help too much, a good aftermarket cooler will just help maintain marginally  higher boost clocks at full load.

Just be careful if you pull the heatsink off, try to give it a twist back and forth before pulling it up or the processor might pull right out of the socket 

Thanks for the reply. I read the temperatures using HWinfo.

If replacing the thermal paste won't help that much ill just leave it stock.

Might consider changing the cooler in the future then, since it is pretty loud at 100%.

Knipsel.JPG

4 minutes ago, glenalz81 said:

I would switch to Ryzen Balanced power plan to start with.

Maybe try increasing the intake fan rpm if possible.

Thanks for the reply.

I'll give increasing the intake fan rpm a shot.

I don't have Ryzen powerplans available as an option, is there a tool I need to install for this?

1 minute ago, CaptainTimba said:

Thanks for the reply.

I'll give increasing the intake fan rpm a shot.

I don't have Ryzen powerplans available as an option, is there a tool I need to install for this?

You will have to install chipset drivers off amd’s website

4 minutes ago, CaptainTimba said:

I had this issue when i upgraded from a 1600x to a 3600x, meant the chipset drivers didn't install properly even though it would appear so.

The only fix i could muster after multiple chipset uninstalls/cleans was a fresh windows install. Worked perfect afterwards.

6 minutes ago, Arrogath said:

You will have to install chipset drivers off amd’s website

3 minutes ago, glenalz81 said:

I had this issue when i upgraded from a 1600x to a 3600x, meant the chipset drivers didn't install properly even though it would appear so.

The only fix i could muster after multiple chipset uninstalls/cleans was a fresh windows install. Worked perfect afterwards.

I just looked into installing/uninstalling the chipset drivers but can't really find a clear explanation. I have never done this before.

Can't find how to properly uninstall the chipset driver.

I found the chipset drivers for the B450 on AMD's and MSI's website, which should I use?

Just now, CaptainTimba said:

I just looked into installing/uninstalling the chipset drivers but can't really find a clear explanation. I have never done this before.

Can't find how to properly uninstall the chipset driver.

I found the chipset drivers for the B450 on AMD's and MSI's website, which should I use?

Typically AMD’s drivers will be the most up to date so I would suggest using theirs

9 minutes ago, Deli said:

Depends on the motherboard BIOS. Undervolting doesn't always work. Try manual fixed voltage 1.20v instead.

Thanks for the reply.

If updating the chipset won't help I'll see if this works.

Still have some school work to do first so might take me a while to get back with the results.

I updated the chipset to the most recent version of AMD's website and gave the Ryzen Balanced performance plan a go.

In game my temperatures are about the same. The idle temperature however goes up significantly, to around 50°C - 60°C steady and even spiking to 67°C

This is just running HWinfo and moving my mouse around on the desktop with 2% CPU usage.

Needles to say I put it back on the Windows Balanced performanced.

The Windows plan seems to let the cpu hover from 1.0V to 1.2V idle, and in game from 1.2V to 1.4V

Whereas the Ryzen plan jumps from 1.0V to 1.4V at any moment.

Could this maybe be why it heats up so much?

I'm yet to try putting it manually to 1.2V, does doing this have any downsides?

Idle ryzen balanced.JPG

• 4 months later...
On 2/29/2020 at 12:33 PM, CaptainTimba said:

Hi

I recently upgraded my system with a 3700x and use the stock Wraith Prism cooler. Idle it hovers at 40°C to 50°C with the occasional spike to around 55°C, this seems fine to me.

When I'm gaming however it seems to get pretty hot. Then it reaches 77°C - 80°C fairly quickly and stays there, with spikes of up to 88°C. Ambient temperature is 21°C.

Is this normal for the 3700x? I only have A-XMP enabled, with no other overclocks. Windows power plan is on "better performance".

Things I already did to lower the temperature:

- Installed extra top exhaust fan.

- Updated BIOS to most recent version. (this lowered the stock idle temps by about 10°C)

- Set a custom fan curve for the CPU fan.

- Tried undervolting 0.1V (had no effect on performance or temperature, tested with Cinebench R20).

Full system specs:

CASE: Corsair Graphite 230T (2 stock intake fans, 1 stock rear exhaust and 1 extra top exhaust)

SSD: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1000GB Toshiba 7200RPM + Western Digital Black WD2003FZEX 2TB

PSU: Corsair VS Series VS650

MOBO: MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX

RAM: Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3600

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC

Are these temperatures fine?

Is there anything else I can do to try and reduce the temperature without spending to much money (on like a new cooler or case)?

Would replacing the stock cooling paste to something like Arctic Silver 5 help?

Thanks in advance!

Had the same problem, thing that helped immediately was switching to OC mode fór the procesor to raise All cores and temp went immediately Down to 70 C while gaming, Also AMD Power plan Has 99 Power on low and 100 on high