My review of the Madcatz/Cyborg F.R.E.Q 5

Lazmarr

I purchased this pair of headphones just over a month or two ago and so far they have been absolutely stunning.

First off the build quality, it feels extremely sturdy and, to me quite light considering it uses metal construction.

The Rubber grip pad on the headband, is very soft and comfortable, but at first use it grips tightly and pulls on the hair however after it's broken in, ~ 1 - 2 weeks it's extremely comfortable.

The ear cups fit snugly to the sides of my head and block out most noise, when playing music/games you can't really hear anything other than the sound coming from the headphones; in addition the cups fit around my ears and are VERY comfortable.

Mic quality is also excellent, almost crystal clear, one of the best mics that have been used.

Another thing, NO in-line controls :D Makes everything look tidy and has an excellent braided cable.

Sound quality is extremely good almost excellent, it has 3 EQ's; 1. Game 2. Music 3. Voice

The game EQ is basically all levels set to normal

Voice EQ has the treble put higher and the others lowered slightly - works very well in Skype

Music - now this has to be one of the best EQ settings I have tried, bass is extremely tight, without compromising the audio from the other audio sources.

The only couple of quirks that I have are;

The price was a little high, but well worth it; I think I bought it for aroud £80

The EQ's have no visual indicator to which you have selected, however it is quite easy to tell them apart once you've listened to them all :)

The volume wheel changes the system sound levels, but is very loud when turned all the way up, I have mine set to between 22% and 40% depending on the application. Furthermore it doesn't usually have a visual to see what the sound levels are when you adjust the volume, however if you use windows 8 and set the application to fullscreen borderless windowed mode a nice little popup appears when changing the volume that shows what setting it is on and you can also finely adjust it by clicking it :P

I give this headset 9/10 :D

----------------------------------------------------------

Pictures to come later

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

does it have with detachable cable, replacable ear pads or even replacable driver? if yes I might consider one. For what price did you get these?

Good review!

I had this same headset and I loved it so much, however it broke after one year of use. The headset is rock solid, because it's mostly made of metal, however it has a weak spot - the plastic part of the headband, where the rubberized grip is glued on. After a few falls, that plastic begins to crack and finally the whole bottom part falls down. 

Other than that the sound quality is indeed excellent as stated in the review. The 50mm drivers really do flex their power.  

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

does it have with detachable cable, replacable ear pads or even replacable driver? if yes I might consider one. For what price did you get these?

Forgot to mention in my review, yes the mic is detachable, it comes with two cables; 1. for the PC 2. for your mobile phone/mp3 player.

I'm not entirely sure, it looks like the ear pads come off, but I'm not going to try and remove them xD and it looks as though it has a removable panel on the back of the driver case - so maybe you can :P

Will upload some photos

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

The ear pads are removable, but not replaceable. They are glued to the plastic frame. The drivers are not really replaceable, because if you open them once, it's extremely difficult to close them back together. I have tried it and it is quite hard, believe me.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here