Is new RAM detected instantly?

Ditzing

Hi, I decided to upgrade my RAM a little since I do a ton of multi-tasking and my computer is starting to feel a bit slow, and I have only one question before I buy some new RAM, I have replaced multiple computer parts in the past but never have I replaced RAM, so my knowledge falls a bit short.

I only have two slots on my motherboard, they are both currently filled with 3GB RAM sticks, so the question is; If I replace both sticks with two sticks of 8GB, will it be detected as soon as I start my computer? Will my computer be able to start?

Thanks. Please let me know if this doesn't fit the forum, I don't want to waste anyone's time.

If you have RAM settings to auto the RAM settings will automatically be detected on startup.

No 3GB sticks on the market though.

I edit my posts more often than not

Look up the specifications of your mother board to make sure it can support 16GB RAM. If it does, when you boot up it may say "Hardware change detected" but press any key and it will boot up like normal. However there is no guarantee that will speed up your pc

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i9 12900K

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i Elite Capellix

Mother Board: MSI z690 carbon WiFi

RAM: TeamSport Elite DDR5 2x16 4800mhz

Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe, 240 SanDisk SSD Plus, Crucial MX300 750GB SSD

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

PSU: Cosrair RM850X 80+ Gold

Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p @ 165hz

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Chroma

Mouse: Logitech G502

Sound: Sony MDR 1000x Headphones, Blue Snowball Microphone

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

CPU: Intel i7 10875H

RAM: 16gb DDR4

Storage: 512gb NVMe, 1TB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q

3 minutes ago, Ditzing said:

will it be detected as soon as I start my computer? Will my computer be able to start?

Yeah, the motherboard will need to do a few things to initialize it

You'll have to make sure you get the right memory, that your operating system supports the amount of ram you want and that your motherboard supports the amount of ram you want

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

4 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Yeah, the motherboard will need to do a few things to initialize it

You'll have to make sure you get the right memory, that your operating system supports the amount of ram you want and that your motherboard supports the amount of ram you want

I just checked and it is compatible, the ram I want to buy is compatible with every component in my computer I believe, I'll triple check just to be sure. I compared my ram to the one I want to buy and it has the same characteristics except for the memory, which is bigger on the one I want to buy.

2 minutes ago, Ditzing said:

I just checked and it is compatible, the ram I want to buy is compatible with every component in my computer I believe, I'll triple check just to be sure. I compared my ram to the one I want to buy and it has the same characteristics except for the memory, which is bigger on the one I want to buy.

What motherboard, memory, cpu and os (version)?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

12 minutes ago, A Silver said:

Look up the specifications of your mother board to make sure it can support 16GB RAM. If it does, when you boot up it may say "Hardware change detected" but press any key and it will boot up like normal. However there is no guarantee that will speed up your pc

Alright, I looked up the specs for a computer that has exactly the same characteristics as mine (same motherboard, cpu, graphics card) and it says that it can support 32GB RAM at most.