Can I mix two different brands of ram? Is this stick compatible with my laptop?

I have an asus laptop (TUF-FX504) with stock 8 gigs of ram in a single slot. I am planning on buying a 16 gig module (1x16 because that's the cheapest option) to fill the free slot. So my question is, can I leave the old module in so it doesn't go to waste? Would my laptop function properly with 24 gigs of ram from two completely different brands and models of ram? Or should I just throw the old module out and go with 16 gigs? 

Also, while I'm here, I also want to make sure that the stick that I want to buy is compatible with the laptop. Here are the differing specs: (format: current / new)

Model: Hynix HMA81GS6CJR8N-VK / Kingston KCP426SD8/16

Size: 8GB / 16GB

Rank: Rank 1 / Dual Rank (whatever that means, maybe channel?)

I have no idea about the second question, but the first one: As far as I know, there should be no problem with the different makes - it will however run at the speed of the slowest module. As regards to the size of the modules, if you're buying a 16gb anyway, I'd say, leave the 8gb in and see what happens, why not? If it doesn't work (as far as I know it should), then you've wanted the 16gb anyway - but there's no reason to not test if you can get the full 24gb, if the speed of the modules doesn't matter to you. 

You can mix two different brands of RAM but make sure they have the same timings/speeds or else you'll run into issues.

As much as possible, it would be a good practice to use the same RAM from the same brand/model to avoid compatibility issues.

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

1 minute ago, Kasper_MC said:

I have no idea about the second question, but the first one: As far as I know, there should be no problem with the different makes - it will however run at the speed of the slowest module. As regards to the size of the modules, if you're buying a 16gb anyway, I'd say, leave the 8gb in and see what happens, why not? If it doesn't work (as far as I know it should), then you've wanted the 16gb anyway - but there's no reason to not test if you can get the full 24gb, if the speed of the modules doesn't matter to you. 

The two modules have matching speeds.

Yeah, the second one might be a stupid question, but I mainly asked because of the different "ranks". I don't know what that means or whether it matters or not.

Thanks for the quick answer!

Upgrading RAM in a laptop can be a much harder job because of the sparse BIOS.  I'd do everything you can to find a matching stick to what is already in there.  Open it up and see if there are identifying stickers or other markings.  And while more capacity alone is nice -- two sticks is gonna give you dual channel performance so I'd really try to match the stick you already have to add to it.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

1 minute ago, nick name said:

Upgrading RAM in a laptop can be a much harder job because of the sparse BIOS.  I'd do everything you can to find a matching stick to what is already in there.  Open it up and see if there are identifying stickers or other markings.  And while more capacity alone is nice -- two sticks is gonna give you dual channel performance so I'd really try to match the stick you already have to add to it.  

Ok, I don't have much experience with laptops, besides the HDD->SSD upgrade... but couldn't Thaiphoon be used to check the RAM type?

In this case 16GB RAM will run in dual channel speed, 8GB in single channel. Flex mode, they call it

memory rank is a different thing, basically a rank has 8 memory chips so dual rank memory has 16 in total

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

14 minutes ago, Kasper_MC said:

Ok, I don't have much experience with laptops, besides the HDD->SSD upgrade... but couldn't Thaiphoon be used to check the RAM type?

You won't know unless you try.  It doesn't work on my laptop.  Fingers crossed that it works on yours.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

one of my computers that i built in 2008 and still use today basically just as a media server for my home network and is hooked up to my bedroom is an Asus Sabertooth x58 with a 6 core 990x i7, gtx 1050ti and 16 gb of ram. This old motherboard holds 6 sticks of ram and i am running 2 of one brand and size and 4 of another brand/size. I'd have to look at it to remeber what i eventually put in it but i tried a few different combinations of what i had sitting around at the time and what currenty is in there was the most Gb i could get to work with out going out and buying more. the manual said there is a combo that would get 24gb of ram on that  x58 but I've never had an issue with that 16gb mix and match i had thrown in it and ran daily for a good part of the last 12 years. that board was  but picky about ram though when finding 6 sticks it would run with.

11 hours ago, SparkFox621 said:

I have an asus laptop (TUF-FX504) with stock 8 gigs of ram in a single slot. I am planning on buying a 16 gig module (1x16 because that's the cheapest option) to fill the free slot. So my question is, can I leave the old module in so it doesn't go to waste? Would my laptop function properly with 24 gigs of ram from two completely different brands and models of ram? Or should I just throw the old module out and go with 16 gigs? 

Also, while I'm here, I also want to make sure that the stick that I want to buy is compatible with the laptop. Here are the differing specs: (format: current / new)

Model: Hynix HMA81GS6CJR8N-VK / Kingston KCP426SD8/16

Size: 8GB / 16GB

Rank: Rank 1 / Dual Rank (whatever that means, maybe channel?)

Should work fine.