Building a PC with minimum knowledge

Alistaire

As the title suggests, I have minimum knowledge about PC building. I've never done it or never studied for it.

I've assembled a PC with parts that seem good in my eyes. I've looked up a lot of reviews about the parts I picked. It's supposed to be somewhat futureproof, so I don't have to upgrade it every year, but I would really like some opinions from people who know more about the subject. My budget is €2000,- (2050 max).

https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/KLWP8M

I know the graphics cards could be better, but it's not in my budget to upgrade it, unfortunately. My goals with this PC are purely gaming. I only play RPG/adventure games, so I don't think I need anything higher for that anyway.

I agree with the remarks above. What resolution and refresh rate are you gaming at?

A 9900K with an 2060 Super is not exactly a perfectly balanced build. If you don't need more GPU power than a 2060S, chances are you don't need a 9900K. There's no need for 32GB ram if you are just gaming. 750W is not too overkill, but it's still a lot for that build. Windows can be had for €10-15 elsewhere. 

I would probably recommend an AMD build, pair that with a beefier GPU, skip the CPU cooler and use the stock cooler, 16GB ram are plenty and maybe consider a different case with a better front intake (Meshify C, Corsair 275R Carbide). That'll probably save you 300-400€ even if you go with a 2080 Super (!).

There are other places to purchase Windows keys but I recommend buying from a proper site or re-seller. Depending on if your going to be overclocking I would say save some money on a motherboard and purchase one that has the ports you require and the features you are going to use. Motherboards made by reputable brands will all be able to run the parts the life of the computer more expensive will usually have better reviews as they have many more features but not everyone will use them. Hope you get some good deals and get a nice computer that will stay for a long time. 

7 minutes ago, Alistaire said:

As the title suggests, I have minimum knowledge about PC building. I've never done it or never studied for it.

I've assembled a PC with parts that seem good in my eyes. I've looked up a lot of reviews about the parts I picked. It's supposed to be somewhat futureproof, so I don't have to upgrade it every year, but I would really like some opinions from people who know more about the subject. My budget is €2000,- (2050 max).

https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/KLWP8M

I know the graphics cards could be better, but it's not in my budget to upgrade it, unfortunately. My goals with this PC are purely gaming. I only play RPG/adventure games, so I don't think I need anything higher for that anyway.

Everything looks ok for the most part if you're going with Intel. Its perfectly fine for gaming. If we're talking future proofing though, at the moment I would go with AMD only for their recently released motherboards and CPU's. And like gloop said, the CPU cooler is unnecessary. 

Link: X570 AORUS MASTER

Link: Ryzen 7 3700X

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

9 minutes ago, ShinRamen said:

What resolution and refresh rate are you gaming at?

Currently, 1920x1080, 60Hz. During my research I found out 144Hz is the way to go.. right? I'm going to purchase a new monitor after the PC. 

25 minutes ago, gloop said:

I really like this build. May I ask why the CPU cooler is unnecessary? And did you mean the cooler isn't needed for my build or yours as well?

What a beautiful monster you are planning to build! 

My recommendations are the following:

• Try going for a cheaper Case. There are plenty of cases that look good and are way cheaper than that one. Recommend NZXT cases and Cooler Master.
  • Do you really need a 1TB SSD? The SSD is very good for the OS but for gaming (in general) the performance can be achieved with a Firecuda Drive. I would purchase a 500 GB SSD for the OS and some other programs I would like to have there and purchase a 2TB Barracuda (or Fire cuda).
  • The CPU cooler is no necessary. You can puchase it later in case you need but if you are not planning to Overclock your cpu, you dont need it. Also, this CPU at stock speeds will be more than enough to suit your needs.
  • I recommend going for a RX 5600XT instead of a RTX 2060, it has better performance (with the new BIOS update) and is some $ cheaper than the RTX 2060.
  • Do you really need 32 GB of RAM? 16 GB of RAM for gaming is more than enough and you will save a lot of money there. You can always leave those 2 free slots for later in case you need the extra 16 GB RAM.

Everything else looks fine to me. Buying a good PSU is always a good idea for real future proof rigs.

33 minutes ago, Alistaire said:

Currently, 1920x1080, 60Hz. During my research I found out 144Hz is the way to go.. right? I'm going to purchase a new monitor after the PC. 

I really like this build. May I ask why the CPU cooler is unnecessary? And did you mean the cooler isn't needed for my build or yours as well?

For the 9900K, it doesn't come with a stock cooler so you will need an aftermarket one. The 3700x comes with the Wraith Prism and the Prism will handle the CPU on base clocks and some moderate overclocking. I'd put the money for the cooler into something else.

29 minutes ago, Rackso said:

The CPU cooler is no necessary. You can puchase it later in case you need but if you are not planning to Overclock your cpu, you dont need it. Also, this CPU at stock speeds will be more than enough to suit your needs.

The 9900K doesn't come with a stock cooler so an aftermarket one is needed.

3 hours ago, gloop said:
 You can get Windows 10 Licenses for cheap on Ebay.

Forgive me for asking but, how legit is this? Paying 5 euro instead of 150 seems almost too good to be true.

2 hours ago, gloop said:

For the 9900K, it doesn't come with a stock cooler so you will need an aftermarket one. The 3700x comes with the Wraith Prism and the Prism will handle the CPU on base clocks and some moderate overclocking. I'd put the money for the cooler into something else.

Gotcha. I wasn't planning on overclocking. I think I'll go with the 3700x with the 2080 super as you suggested. With the money I save from not getting the cooler and decreasing my RAM to 16GB (which apparently is enough for my needs and I can always buy more if/when it's really needed), I think I'll get the AORUS MASTER.

Does that sound any good?

I don't think you really need the Aorus Master and it's quite a bit more expensive (at least where I'm from). I would personally stick with the Elite and enjoy the extra money that I have left over ;) 

You can easily stay 300€ under budget. Of course it's your choice, but I doubt you will benefit enough from the Aorus Master to justify the purchase. I could be wrong though.

After taking everything said here into consideration, I think I'll go for gloop's build, but instead of 32GB ram it'll be 16GB. And minus the CPU cooler. Getting a 2080 instead of a 2060 is convincing me a lot to go for this build.

Thanks everyone!