M.2 windows 10 question

CB_J_IRacing

Would installing an m.2 SSD on my Mobo make me need a new Windows key? Is that considered a hardware upgrade?

Ryzen 9 3900x & Ryzen 7 3700x 120 AIO / MSI 2070 Super Ventus OC / MSI B450 Tomahawk Max & MSI x570 Gaming Pro / Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600mhz 2x8gb / 970EVOplus m.2 NVME 250gb / Adata sata SSD 250gb/ 2TB Hard drive / 9x Noctua Redux 120mm fans / (spare Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200mhz 2x8gb) / Fanatec CSLE+ F1 / V3 Pedals / Next Level Sim Rig / LG Ultra Gear 34" curved ultrawide 144hz / Oculus Rift S / Asus 27" 144hz / crappy keyboard / crappy mouse

2 minutes ago, CB_J_IRacing said:

Would installing an m.2 SSD on my Mobo make me need a new Windows key? Is that considered a hardware upgrade?

So you have an activated Windows on your current machine already and you're now installing Windows on a new SSD, but on the same system otherwise?

If so, it will likely pick up the code right away and work. In my experience Windows is tied to the motherboard, but your mileage may vary.

Otherwise in the past I have just clicked the 'I changed my hardware' button and the code worked again.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

as far as i've seen, as long as you dont swap motherboard or cpu, your key wont deactivate.

at work we replace boot drives all the time, go trough the install process with the "i dont have a key" option, and when i windows click 'troubleshoot activation' and it'll just activate itself by magic.

Even if you completely change your hardware you can use the same windows license or key, depending on which you used you may need to do different things to reactivate.

Look at this for steps: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Basically like people before me said you might have to go for troubleshooting activation route, if you used a key to activate it you might just have to enter your key instead.

I recently changed motherboard, cpu, ram and ssd. When I looked it up in my old windows install it seemed like it was a windows license linked to my microsoft account. So I said I didn't have a key while installing and logged into my account, but then the troubleshooting route didn't work. I just entered my old key again afterwards though and it worked just fine.

I've already got my windows reactivated when I upgraded my motherboard and RAM a couple weeks ago but I was needing some more storage

Ryzen 9 3900x & Ryzen 7 3700x 120 AIO / MSI 2070 Super Ventus OC / MSI B450 Tomahawk Max & MSI x570 Gaming Pro / Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600mhz 2x8gb / 970EVOplus m.2 NVME 250gb / Adata sata SSD 250gb/ 2TB Hard drive / 9x Noctua Redux 120mm fans / (spare Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200mhz 2x8gb) / Fanatec CSLE+ F1 / V3 Pedals / Next Level Sim Rig / LG Ultra Gear 34" curved ultrawide 144hz / Oculus Rift S / Asus 27" 144hz / crappy keyboard / crappy mouse

Depending on the type of license you have it might be either bound to a PC you have (a common thing with laptops where the license is flashed inside BIOS) or it's a dedicated license key that can be reactivated any time if needed. All you have to do if required is following this guide https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change and you will be fine.

All good, didn't ask for a key. Thanks