Office Video Server

Go to solution Solved by Jarsky,
9 hours ago, Joe James said:

So my plan is to have my poweredge configured as a nas running raid 10 or something similar with two 10gb cat7s running to a switch that is running two cat7s to my main work station and is also connected to my encoding server. I want to dump my new footage onto my encoding server and have that encode it, then send both the original files and encoded ones to my nas where I can edit off of them. Yeah 20gbs is overkill for now, but I will likely outgrow this if i dont future proof it a little.

Not overkill at all when it comes to connecting storage to application services, just make sure you get a managed switch so you can create a LAG/Port-Channel for the connection. 

My questions... Can I add storage to the 510 in the same data pool?

It depends on your setup but for a hardware RAID10 yes you can. If you require more disk space and have a spare PCI-E slot you can also use an external HBA to connect a diskshelf (Dell have a range called PowerVault) to extend the number of supported drives. 

What cheap rack would you recommend, i have the 2u r510, my 1u r200 firewall, my 1u cyberpower ups, my 2u encoding server, i also want to be able to add more storage later, plus I need a switch.

The advantage to your R510 over my R710's is that its only something like 26" deep, so assuming thats your deepest server, you have a wide range of cabinets in that depth. 

So thats 7U plus possibly space for a PDU, KVM, etc...i'd be looking at a 12RU-18RU cabinet. Personally I think an open rack like this one from StarTech is great: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Open-Frame-Server-Rack/dp/B00P1RJ9LS

That brings me to my next question, anyone have switch recommendations? I have heard ubiquiti is good.

For a rack it's really hard to go past a Arista DCS-7050S-64 second hand. 48 x SFP+ ports which you can use 10gbe copper tranceivers, 4 x QSFP+ ports for 40Gbps (e.g Infiniband), and managed so you can create LAG's (LACP), do VLAN's, etc.....

Last, software or better raid recommendations? Ill probably throw a hypervisor on them and mess around, but I would love some input on where to start. Thank you!

Personally i'd keep the PowerEdge as storage and use it either as a hardware RAID with Linux or if you wanted to go Software, consider using an HBA card and going ZFS on FreeNAS. The other advantage of FreeNAS is if you wanted to use a Hypervisor like ESXi, then you can easily create iSCSi targets through the FreeNAS GUI for creating your VMWare Datastores. If you create say 5 disk RAIDZ2 vdev's, then you can easily expand your zpool 5 disks at a time also. If you do 4 disk Striped mirror vdev's, then you can expand your zpool 4 disks at a time. 

Hello, so im new to the server side of the tech world, but realized im really missing out on some workflow optimization by doing so.

My setup is a dell Poweredge 510 a custom built encoding server running a 3950x and my main work station. I do video editing btw. So my plan is to have my poweredge configured as a nas running raid 10 or something similar with two 10gb cat7s running to a switch that is running two cat7s to my main work station and is also connected to my encoding server. I want to dump my new footage onto my encoding server and have that encode it, then send both the original files and encoded ones to my nas where I can edit off of them. Yeah 20gbs is overkill for now, but I will likely outgrow this if i dont future proof it a little. My questions... Can I add storage to the 510 in the same data pool? What cheap rack would you recommend, i have the 2u r510, my 1u r200 firewall, my 1u cyberpower ups, my 2u encoding server, i also want to be able to add more storage later, plus I need a switch. That brings me to my next question, anyone have switch recommendations? I have heard ubiquiti is good. Last, software or better raid recommendations? Ill probably throw a hypervisor on them and mess around, but I would love some input on where to start. Thank you!

microtick has some models. I'd probably go 40gb

MikroTik CRS354-48G-4S+2Q+RM would give dual 40gb quad 10gb sfp+ and 24 1gb

MikroTik CRS317-1G-16S+RM 16 port sfp+ unit. CRS309-1G-8S+IN is an 8 port

CRS312-4C+8XG-RM 8 cat, 4sfp+/cat

theres others but most of these are sub 500$ and manged Level 2

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

So my plan is to have my poweredge configured as a nas running raid 10 or something similar with two 10gb cat7s running to a switch that is running two cat7s to my main work station and is also connected to my encoding server. I want to dump my new footage onto my encoding server and have that encode it, then send both the original files and encoded ones to my nas where I can edit off of them. Yeah 20gbs is overkill for now, but I will likely outgrow this if i dont future proof it a little.

Not overkill at all when it comes to connecting storage to application services, just make sure you get a managed switch so you can create a LAG/Port-Channel for the connection. 

My questions... Can I add storage to the 510 in the same data pool?

It depends on your setup but for a hardware RAID10 yes you can. If you require more disk space and have a spare PCI-E slot you can also use an external HBA to connect a diskshelf (Dell have a range called PowerVault) to extend the number of supported drives. 

What cheap rack would you recommend, i have the 2u r510, my 1u r200 firewall, my 1u cyberpower ups, my 2u encoding server, i also want to be able to add more storage later, plus I need a switch.

The advantage to your R510 over my R710's is that its only something like 26" deep, so assuming thats your deepest server, you have a wide range of cabinets in that depth. 

So thats 7U plus possibly space for a PDU, KVM, etc...i'd be looking at a 12RU-18RU cabinet. Personally I think an open rack like this one from StarTech is great: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Open-Frame-Server-Rack/dp/B00P1RJ9LS

That brings me to my next question, anyone have switch recommendations? I have heard ubiquiti is good.

For a rack it's really hard to go past a Arista DCS-7050S-64 second hand. 48 x SFP+ ports which you can use 10gbe copper tranceivers, 4 x QSFP+ ports for 40Gbps (e.g Infiniband), and managed so you can create LAG's (LACP), do VLAN's, etc.....

Last, software or better raid recommendations? Ill probably throw a hypervisor on them and mess around, but I would love some input on where to start. Thank you!

Personally i'd keep the PowerEdge as storage and use it either as a hardware RAID with Linux or if you wanted to go Software, consider using an HBA card and going ZFS on FreeNAS. The other advantage of FreeNAS is if you wanted to use a Hypervisor like ESXi, then you can easily create iSCSi targets through the FreeNAS GUI for creating your VMWare Datastores. If you create say 5 disk RAIDZ2 vdev's, then you can easily expand your zpool 5 disks at a time also. If you do 4 disk Striped mirror vdev's, then you can expand your zpool 4 disks at a time. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Awesome info! Two questions now. So I put an hba in my 510 and use that to connect to a diskshelf? Will i still get higher raid speeds using this method? Second I use rj45, what is the best way to convert the sfp ports to rj45?