Should I buy an aftermarket cooler or stick with the Wraith Prism?

Planning to upgrade to AMD Ryzen 7 3800x which comes with Wraith Prism cooler. I want to pair it up with Gigabyte GamingX X570 and a 5700xt in the future. I am not planning to overclock the CPU at all. I am building to use the PC for gaming and work.
I want to know If the wraith prism cooler is enough for daily uses. What idle temperature can I expect? How high can the temperature rise to?
Should I get an AIO or another aftermarket aircooler?
Thanks 

3 minutes ago, Omar812 said:

Planning to upgrade to AMD Ryzen 7 3800x which comes with Wraith Prism cooler. I want to pair it up with Gigabyte GamingX X570 and a 5700xt in the future. I am not planning to overclock the CPU at all. I am building to use the PC for gaming and work.
I want to know If the wraith prism cooler is enough for daily uses. What idle temperature can I expect? How high can the temperature rise to?
Should I get an AIO or another aftermarket aircooler?
Thanks 

Aftermarket cooler, a noctua or the sorts.

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

Just now, InnerBeast Gaming said:

Aftermarket cooler, a noctua or the sorts.

can you explain why, please? I am quite fixated on keeping the wraith prism as it is a competent cooler. thanks

1 minute ago, Omar812 said:

can you explain why, please? I am quite fixated on keeping the wraith prism as it is a competent cooler. thanks

Better thermals, overclocking and noise... A higher end aftermarket cooler will increase the lifespan of the CPU, making it so that the temperature of the CPU is lower, and therefor there is less wear...

A higher-end cooler will also be quieter. To get the same cooling preformance is much easier for the aftermarket cooler than it is for the stock cooler, so the stock cooler will have to work alot harder, and use a more agressive fan curve,

and... Overclocking preformance because of the above. BUT if you plan to not really use the cpu heavily, E.G: Games that demand high preformance, or video editing, Ignore everything I just said.

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

If you don't want to overclock, the included cooler will do just fine. That being said, the CPU can indeed get quite toasty even when running at idle, putting out temps around 50°C and up to 70°C when under load according to my own experience with the 3700X. Given the higher clock speeds, the 3800X might run a little hotter, but still nowhere near throttling. 

Also, the cooler can get a bit noisy, which I personally don't really have a problem with at the moment, but I'm still planning to upgrade to an AIO later on. So far though, the Wraith Prism is a good enough cooler for daily use. 

I would buy an aftermarket cooler if your going to OC it. Stock cooler isn’t the best but should do the job if it is not OCed, if it starts hitting high temps with it I would get a Noctua or something of the sort. The wraith prism doesn’t have many good reviews as I’ve heard in the past and doesn’t cool it super good.

The stock cooler will be fine. It's more than adequate for daily use. And fair if you want to put a small oc on your chip someday.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Better thermals, overclocking and noise... A higher end aftermarket cooler will increase the lifespan of the CPU, making it so that the temperature of the CPU is lower, and therefor there is less wear...

A higher-end cooler will also be quieter. To get the same cooling preformance is much easier for the aftermarket cooler than it is for the stock cooler, so the stock cooler will have to work alot harder, and use a more agressive fan curve,

and... Overclocking preformance because of the above. BUT if you plan to not really use the cpu heavily, E.G: Games that demand high preformance, or video editing, Ignore everything I just said.

It is true that you will lower the temps with an aftermarket cooling solution, but the thermals will have no more than a marginal effect on lifespan. Your CPU will long be outdated before you run into problems that were caused by too much heat, especially since the CPU is not running at throttling temps, which help to protect the CPU from thermal wear.

Just now, Morco said:

It is true that you will lower the temps with an aftermarket cooling solution, but the thermals will have no more than a marginal effect on lifespan. Your CPU will long be outdated before you run into problems that were caused by too much heat, especially since the CPU is not running at throttling temps, which help to protect the CPU from thermal wear.

If you run heavy-duty applications, and for long periods of time constantly, it will matter a lot. It depends on what you do

If you run heavy-duty applications, and for long periods of time constantly, it will matter a lot. It depends on what you do

Even in that situation, the wraith prism is a more than adequate cooler.

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, Slottr said:

Thanks good sir. I think I will take the prism.

Just now, Slottr said:

Okay. Ask one of linuse's video editors to edit videos on a 120mm  AIO cooler with a threadripper 3960/70x for 1 year. 

Okay. Ask one of linuse's video editors to edit videos on a 120mm  AIO cooler with a threadripper 3960/70x for 1 year. 

This isn't a threadripper. This is a 3800x.

1 minute ago, InnerBeast Gaming said:

That is a whole different scenario and not compareable. We're talking 3x to 4x the core count here. That's why AMD does not include coolers with Threatripper.

Just now, Slottr said:

This isn't a threadripper. This is a 3800x.

I know that. It's an example. I'm trying to keep the same idea, becusae I'd be dammed it some who worked for linus edited 8k raw on a 3800x

Just now, Morco said:

That is a whole different scenario and not compareable. We're talking 3x to 4x the core count here. That's why AMD does not include coolers with Threatripper.

there is also a larger area to disapate heat. a MUCH larger area 

I’m going to lock myself in a cupboard if you actually thought we were talking about a Threadripper. Never cool a Threadripper with an air cooler, please.

I know that. It's an example. I'm trying to keep the same idea, becusae I'd be dammed it some who worked for linus edited 8k raw on a 3800x

Comparing processors doesn't work like that though. The threadripper is an entirely different chip, with a different socket and with different requirements.

Apples != Oranges

If this was a Threadripper with an air cooler I would definitely say change to AIO, but it’s not, you can’t compare them because of TDP, much higher core count, and different sized die, causing higher heat. Not good to compare them because of these factors and different cooling solutions need for each one.