PC won't boot into BIOS or OS with GPU installed, but still shows POST screen

7idge

Hi,

I am helping my friend with his PC. Its not actually a PC its a Dell PowerEdge SC1430. So he was having some problems and we decided to put a new GPU in because there were loads of artifacts on the screen and it slowly started crashing more and more on higher resolutions. So the "new" GPU is a GT 740. 

With that GPU installed, the PC boots to the Dell logo and the bit where it tells you about the SATA ports and stuff you don't have plugged in.

After that point, if you try to go into the BIOS, the screen just goes blank. Same with if you try to boot into an OS (From the hard drive or a USB).

If you use the integrated graphics, it lets you into the BIOS and the old broken graphics card does too.

Do you have any ideas as to why it would not be working.

Thanks,

Harry

Sounds like the GPU may be dead, often when GPUs die they only work in one graphics mode, its likely that the POST stuff is in text mode, while the bios runs in some graphical mode, same with the OS. If you have another graphics card try that, its also possible that its not compatible for some other reason

System Stability? More like system unstability

Hmm possibly. I'll take the new GPU home with me and test it in a PC there to see if it actually works. If it does then it is just some sort of compatibility thing.