eGPU

Jah347

Good evening everyone.

I’m in the market for eGPU dock, but can’t seem to find one thats compatible with R9 Fury X. Does anyone know a compatible dock? I plan on pairing it with Razer Blade Stealth. 

Thanks.

I don't think anyone has made an eGPU dock that can accomodate a 120mm rad, you probably need to make something yourself, or find a different gpu.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

7 hours ago, Theguywhobea said:

I don't think anyone has made an eGPU dock that can accomodate a 120mm rad, you probably need to make something yourself, or find a different gpu.

Actually just found eGFX Breakaway Box 650 which allows you to fit one 120mm rad and is compatible with Fury X. Thanks tho

On 2/19/2020 at 1:10 AM, Jah347 said:

Actually just found eGFX Breakaway Box 650 which allows you to fit one 120mm rad and is compatible with Fury X. Thanks tho

Oh hey you're all set then, glad to see I was wrong.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

@GabenJr Anthony just reviewed one on Short Circuit

One question I have, can you VR off an eGPU from a thin and light laptop? And if so does it suck?

5 hours ago, Brad Man said:

@GabenJr Anthony just reviewed one on Short Circuit

One question I have, can you VR off an eGPU from a thin and light laptop? And if so does it suck?

There will be a bottle neck and it won't be the best but its good enough for light vr 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

On 2/19/2020 at 8:10 AM, Jah347 said:

Τhis box costs 300$ you already have the Fury at hand? 

I mean it doesnt make much sense to get an eGPU sounds cool but you wont get the full performance and there might be compatability issues/bugs....

instead of spending 300$ on a dock I would build like a cheap desktop put the fury in and have better performance in games 

5 hours ago, Brad Man said:

to put it into other words if you spend the same amount of money for a desktop build you will get SIGNIFICANTLY better performance. 

e,g 

I7 4790k (cheap old CPU)

RTX 2070 (non super) 

And you get better framerate on 1440p than the egpu RTX2080ti which had ~30FPS on 1080p

On 3/5/2020 at 3:53 AM, TofuHaroto said:

There will be a bottle neck and it won't be the best but its good enough for light vr 

That is what I thought.  Would be interesting to quantify but I am assuming the limited number of PCIe lanes in thunderbolt would limit how far you can push it.

On 3/5/2020 at 4:17 AM, papajo said:

Τhis box costs 300$ you already have the Fury at hand? 

I mean it doesnt make much sense to get an eGPU sounds cool but you wont get the full performance and there might be compatability issues/bugs....

instead of spending 300$ on a dock I would build like a cheap desktop put the fury in and have better performance in games 

to put it into other words if you spend the same amount of money for a desktop build you will get SIGNIFICANTLY better performance. 

e,g 

I7 4790k (cheap old CPU)

RTX 2070 (non super) 

And you get better framerate on 1440p than the egpu RTX2080ti which had ~30FPS on 1080p

The reason for the external GPU vs a tower is portability and presentation at a conference or tradeshow.  Flying and show up to a conference with a "gaming" or "RGBaf" system is a big negative (except for LTX or consumer shows of course).

I will have to see if I can locate one and test it out