GPU market getting worst.

DarylEPerez

Two years ago, "mining" wasn't such a big deal; even though that changed by 2014. AMD does perform better when it comes to calculating equations and getting people their blocks when it comes to mining. That being said, consumers have started to buy up to four GPU's all at the same time. And guys, it's totally messing up the GPU market. 

AMD R9 280X-

With a starting MSRP of $299.99, it's now being sold @ $579.99...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127759

AMD R9 290X-

With a starting MSRP of $550, it's now being sold @ $900...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125499

Personally, these AMD cards are not worth their current prices. Besides the "Green Team" their only pros is Mantle which isn't that big of a deal for me as it only provides a boost on performance on entry-level rigs rather than high-end rigs.

2020:AMD Ryzen 3900X | XFX 5700XT | 2TB m.2 | 32GBDDR4 @ 3200MHz | Corsair CX750M | ASUS X570 Strix | NZXT H100

2013:AMD FX-8350 @ 4.62GHz ~ 5.2GHz | XFX R9 290X 2x Crossfire | (x4) 2TB HDDs in RAID1 | 16GBDDR3 @ 1866MHz | GS800 | NZXT 810

Actually they're going down do to the bitcoin drop.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

It's pretty sad considering it's not AMD themselves raising the price but retailers raising them. Looks like Nvidia will be reaping in the profits instead of AMD considering the inflation of pricing for AMD cards.

It's pretty sad considering it's not AMD themselves raising the price but retailers raising them. Looks like Nvidia will be reaping in the profits instead of AMD considering the inflation of pricing for AMD cards.

Man.. Why would I get a $900 290X when a 780 Ti performs lot better and cooler (speaking of reference cards)... It's just non sense.

2020:AMD Ryzen 3900X | XFX 5700XT | 2TB m.2 | 32GBDDR4 @ 3200MHz | Corsair CX750M | ASUS X570 Strix | NZXT H100

2013:AMD FX-8350 @ 4.62GHz ~ 5.2GHz | XFX R9 290X 2x Crossfire | (x4) 2TB HDDs in RAID1 | 16GBDDR3 @ 1866MHz | GS800 | NZXT 810

Good thing I ordered 3 more before prices jumped again.

afdb94.jpgYo

You forgot to order a new power supply? And please tell me you're into mining or at least eyefinity gaming for this purchase lol

Man.. Why would I get a $900 290X when a 780 Ti performs lot better and cooler (speaking of reference cards)... It's just non sense.

For mining of course. But people buying 290xs for mining are doing it wrong anyway.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

I never even thought of it that way. But you would think that AMD could do something about it.

I been waiting for Maxwell but I'm scared I will wake up one morning and Cudamining (or w/e is called) has gotten big and now Nvidia cards are crazy prices. Mite not be a bad idea to buy now when prices are fine.

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

For mining of course. But people buying 290xs for mining are doing it wrong anyway.

Like I hope their getting enough profit out of mining to pay their electricity bills. There's a guy in my college who runs x6 290's and two 1600W PSU's. Sold his rig because he couldn't afford his bills the followed month. 

I don't play games. That's to go with the 2 H81 Pro motherboards I ordered from NCIX for 12 GPUs.

2r2yssh.jpg

8-Bitcoin-H81%20Pro%20BTC-2.jpg

Hope that the profit you get out of it it's just enough to pay your electricity bill.

At this point I almost feel like I have to sell my 290x + waterblock and backplate. I can get a 780ti, watercool it, and still probably have about $100 left over. 

I never even thought of it that way. But you would think that AMD could do something about it.

They could do something to newly manufactured GPU's to render them useless for mining, it would be a blessing for gamers/non miners who want AMD GPU's but would also be like AMD cutting off their leg since miners are a fairly decent chunk of their customers.

Like I hope their getting enough profit out of mining to pay their electricity bills. There's a guy in my college who runs x6 290's and two 1600W PSU's. Sold his rig because he couldn't afford his bills the followed month. 

You would make a profit but your buddy should have done 280xs instead. They cost less and do about the same amount of work so that is his fault really. He would have made profit if he stuck with it (if it was litecoin)

They could do something to newly manufactured GPU's to render them useless for mining, it would be a blessing for gamers/non miners who want AMD GPU's but would also be like AMD cutting off their leg since miners are a fairly decent chunk of their customers.

That would be dumb because miners now make up 75% of their customer base. 

Actually amd will still be getting profit. The rise is prices means a lot of their cards are being sold just not to the standard consumer.

Using Tapatalk

I think I have to start smuggling european r9 290 (Gigabyte windforce3 is 250$ cheaper here (counting Save 100$ in newegg atm)) :D

Curing shitposts by shitposts

At this point I almost feel like I have to sell my 290x + waterblock and backplate. I can get a 780ti, watercool it, and still probably have about $100 left over. 

Mhhmmm, like pretty much !!!!!!

where would one go to sell their r9 cards? as far as local craigslist goes Im seeing prices pretty normal.

That 280X is $500, not $580.

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Two years ago, "mining" wasn't such a big deal; even though that changed by 2014. AMD does perform better when it comes to calculating equations and getting people their blocks when it comes to mining. That being said, consumers have started to buy up to four GPU's all at the same time. And guys, it's totally messing up the GPU market. 

AMD R9 280X-

With a starting MSRP of $299.99, it's now being sold @ $579.99...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127759

AMD R9 290X-

With a starting MSRP of $550, it's now being sold @ $900...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125499

Personally, these AMD cards are not worth their current prices. Besides the "Green Team" their only pros is Mantle which isn't that big of a deal for me as it only provides a boost on performance on entry-level rigs rather than high-end rigs.

You (and anybody who agrees) obviously do not understand economics and the principles of supply and demand. 

If anything, the rise in price on AMD cards indicate that the GPU market is efficient and reaches equilibrium well. The worth of a product, i.e. its intrinsic value, is determined by its supply and demand. Let's say the R9 290X is priced at $100, there would be MASSIVE demand, much more so than supply, thus, this will naturally push the prices up as people compete for the R9 290X at that price. Now, let's say that the R9 290X is priced at $2000. This is too high, there wouldn't be enough demand and there would be more supply, thus, prices will be driven down to clear stock. 

At the moment, the R9 290X is being sold at $900 or whatever it is because that is the intrinsic value of the card. That is what the market has determined is the equilibrium price, the price at which people would buy just enough of it to clear out the supply. To you, this may be an overpricing. However, to other people, this might be an affordable price. You are coming at it from an emotional perspective (i.e. I am a gamer, I have the RIGHT to have this card at $550) not from an economic perspective, which is that the card is worth $900 as determined by the market. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

You forgot to order a new power supply? And please tell me you're into mining or at least eyefinity gaming for this purchase lol

Look...Minesweep and Purple Palace are gpu intensive...leave him alone...gosh.

Case: Silverstone SG09B Motherboard: MSI Z10 Morter M-ATX CPU: I5-6600K  Ram: Corsair LP 2400 DD4 16GB GPU: MSI RX 480 Storage: Seagate HDD Baracuda 2TB x2, Crucial M200 500GB SSD X2 (Raid 0)PSU: Silverstone Strider Gold 1000W w/PP05E Kit

"When to say :blink: WTF :blink: ....$2K rig only used for Minesweeper and Internet Checkers marathons...."

You (and anybody who agrees) obviously do not understand economics and the principles of supply and demand. 

If anything, the rise in price on AMD cards indicate that the GPU market is efficient and reaches equilibrium well. The worth of a product, i.e. its intrinsic value, is determined by its supply and demand. Let's say the R9 290X is priced at $100, there would be MASSIVE demand, much more so than supply, thus, this will naturally push the prices up as people compete for the R9 290X at that price. Now, let's say that the R9 290X is priced at $2000. This is too high, there wouldn't be enough demand and there would be more supply, thus, prices will be driven down to clear stock. 

At the moment, the R9 290X is being sold at $900 or whatever it is because that is the intrinsic value of the card. That is what the market has determined is the equilibrium price, the price at which people would buy just enough of it to clear out the supply. To you, this may be an overpricing. However, to other people, this might be an affordable price. You are coming at it from an emotional perspective (i.e. I am a gamer, I have the RIGHT to have this card at $550) not from an economic perspective, which is that the card is worth $900 as determined by the market. 

The prices are as such because of a supply shortage. Shortage in supply = not at equilibrium. Nice try, play again. 

The prices are as such because of a supply shortage. Shortage in supply = not at equilibrium. Nice try, play again. 

No, the prices will adjust to equilibrium.

Nice try, play again yourself.

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

No, the prices will adjust to equilibrium.

Nice try, play again yourself.

A market shortage is a state of equilibrium.