PNY 240 GB SSD died after 2 months

robinsonrandy19

I think may have killed my SSD and I don't really understand why because it had 120 mm fan blowing over it! I was stress testing the CPU with CPUZ bench mark and after that Windows started shuddering! I restarted and all my games where shuddering like CS go and Fortnight. My build is an HP 550-153w that I removed it from it's case and added an i5 4690, 500w  psu, 16 GB of sk hynix ddr3 1600 and a GTX 1070 so it's been heavenly modified/upgraded and put in a new case and had been functioning correctly since Decembers rebuild! I was just wondering if anyone might have an Idea of what happened here? I took the drive out put it in a Dell and was able to blank it and re partition the drive using a Ubuntu a boot drive for it's Gparted tool and Dells bios on my sons Dell has a drive testing feature so I tested it and it came back good! I Also before I did all that I uninstalled the 1070's driver and reinstalled! I tried everything before I blanked it including repairing windows with that feature from a Windows boot drive! I kept getting errors that said an expected device was not found! I'm now running off a 250 GB HD! :( So is it dead or does someone know what happened?

It’s not that unusual for SSDs to die that fast if one uses up their write numbers.  It became a serious problem for data center at one point iirc.  It’s I guess theoretically possible given limited data that you just wore it out.  It also might be a cacheless SSD which are sort of famous for reliability problems.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

How can I tell if it's cacheless? I think it might have a Cach but I can't be cretin as I didn't buy it it was a Christmas gift, but it's a PNY model number CS900 240 GB

9 minutes ago, robinsonrandy19 said:

How can I tell if it's cacheless? I think it might have a Cach but I can't be cretin as I didn't buy it it was a Christmas gift, but it's a PNY model number CS900 240 GB

Look it up I guess.  If it doesn’t say it has cache it almost certainly doesn’t.  There is some other stuff too.  Cacheless SSDs work differently than the ones with cache which is what causes the issue iirc.  Perhaps something to do with garbage collection which I remember being sort of a deal with SSDs and why they have weird numbers.  A 256 drive is actually 240 because they need garbage collection space.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I was able to find it online it does have a cach and good reviews, but their not getting one from me!

1 minute ago, robinsonrandy19 said:

I was able to find it online it does have a cach and good reviews, but their not getting one from me!

What was the warranty?  It might still be under one.  SSDs tend to have very short warranties because of abuse by the aforementioned data centers so it might not help.

yep still covered by one year warranty I also contacted best buy and they said i could bring it back and ether exchange it or get a refund so this story has a happy ending after all! thanks for the advice!