Overclocking an i7-9700k

I overclocked it successfully with a preset overclock profile in my asus bios to 5.0mhz.

Tested on everything and it looks good and it looks stable.

My question is, the cpu voltage is set to auto, should I leave that or should I change it to a custom setting.

I don’t know if I trust it but it’s telling me the current voltage in bios is .97.

Thanks

6 minutes ago, Midwest32 said:

I overclocked it successfully with a preset overclock profile in my asus bios to 5.0mhz.

My question is, the cpu voltage is set to auto, should I leave that or should I change it to a custom setting.

I don’t know if I trust it but it’s telling me the current voltage in bios is .97.

Thanks

For the 9700k you are fine up to 1.4v I'd say. I manually set my 9900k at 1.26 or 1.27v if I remember well. I particularly don't like going beyond 1.3v, but again, it's still safe. The higher the voltage, the faster the degradation, and the higher the voltage needs to be set to keep it running at set clock speeds. 0.97 is handling only its base clock, not boost.

Edited by HumdrumPenguin

2 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

For the 9700k you are fine up to 1.4v I'd say. I manually set my 9900k at 1.26 or 1.27v if I remember well. I particularly don't like going beyond 1.3v, but again, it's still safe. The higher the voltage, the faster the degradation, and the higher the voltage needs to be set to keep it running at set clock speeds. 0.97 is handling only its base clock, not boost.

Ok got ya, thanks I’ll test it with something like 1.3 and go from there.

10 minutes ago, Midwest32 said:

Thanks

The auto overclocks are almost always way to aggressive on voltage. That said, if your temps are ok, its likely "fine". You can use something like CPUz to monitor voltage and AIDA64 stress test to see what volts its actually hitting in a full CPU load situation.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

5 minutes ago, Midwest32 said:

Ok got ya, thanks I’ll test it with something like 1.3 and go from there.

I use manual instead of adaptive (where the voltage goes up and down depending on clock speed) because of higher stability. It also avoid spikes. If you use your pc all day long every day, in about 2 years of usage you start seeing cpu degradation at about 1.3v to 1.35v, where to keep up the clock speed higher voltage becomes a requirement. Take a look at a few YouTube videos. There's a bunch of people teaching you to manually overclock Intel cpus on Asus boards. Others may disagree, but auto overclock is never good based on my own experience, even with recent gear.

Edited by HumdrumPenguin

7 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

The auto overclocks are almost always way to aggressive on voltage. That said, if your temps are ok, its likely "fine". You can use something like CPUz to monitor voltage and AIDA64 stress test to see what volts its actually hitting in a full CPU load situation.

Will do thank you for input.

8 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Yeah I have seen that they are fairly aggressive and I have tried a custom setting overclock but found the preset profile to be one that worked stability wise but definitely want to change the voltage manually.

Just with that tiny tweak I was able to get 2 degrees off my highest temp when running cinebench. 

Thanks guys I’ll keep looking and seeing any other way to tweak the preset!

1 minute ago, Midwest32 said:

Just with that tiny tweak I was able to get 2 degrees off my highest temp when running cinebench. 

Thanks guys I’ll keep looking and seeing any other way to tweak the preset!

For stability testing, use something like AIDA64, and use CPUz to see the volts its actually pulling under load.

From there, you just have to play the tweak settings, test, tweak again, test again. It usually takes me 3-4 days to get a stable OC validated and optimal. I test for 15 minutes in aida64 to get a "this seems fine ish" level of assurance, then drop volts in small increments until it doesn't stay stable for 15 mins. Then I bump the volts back up to where it was good for 15 mins, then I start testing for 24 hours. As soon as it passes a 24 hour AIDA64 test, I up the volts by .005 and call that 100% stable, and as optimal as possible (optimal being as low volts as possible).

Good luck, happy overclocking!

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air