Virtualization Technology Can't Be Enabled

Go to solution Solved by Xander CaGe,

Windows 10 Home Doesn't Support Virtualization Technology.

I can't enable virtualization technology. I tried disabling Hyper-V and tried to enable vt-x in BIOS settings, but it won't enable.
Any solutions?

Update your UEFI, that might help. Also, Hyper-V won’t even enable if VT-x is disabled. As it’s required to even get it installed (unless you did it manually via command line, as DISM allows that. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

It was enabled before. It was automatically disabled when I updated my windows and now it won't even enable. I tried using my BIOS to enable it, but it doesn't work.

When you enable it in the BIOS, does virtualisation stay enabled or does it revert to disabled after a reboot?

Did you build your computer yourself, or did you buy it from a shop/online second hand?  What model is it/what company manufactures the motherboard?  What CPU do you have (does it support virtualisation)?

It could be ex-enterprise, as companies upgrade all their IT equipment en-masse every 3-5 years which floods the used hardware market.  If it's a company's ex-asset, the BIOS may be password protected, and will only allow you to read the settings but not write changes.

Some BIOSes in read-only password protected mode will allow you to change settings, but those settings will not persist after a reboot.

Fortunately, there is a fix - you can clear the CMOS by removing the small battery located on the motherboard.  Wait 10-20 seconds, and then replace the battery.  The password on the BIOS will have been removed and you should be able to enable virtualisation.

On 2/17/2020 at 10:42 AM, Tad Bittoomuch said:

When you enable it in the BIOS, does virtualisation stay enabled or does it revert to disabled after a reboot?

Did you build your computer yourself, or did you buy it from a shop/online second hand?  What model is it/what company manufactures the motherboard?  What CPU do you have (does it support virtualisation)?

It could be ex-enterprise, as companies upgrade all their IT equipment en-masse every 3-5 years which floods the used hardware market.  If it's a company's ex-asset, the BIOS may be password protected, and will only allow you to read the settings but not write changes.

Some BIOSes in read-only password protected mode will allow you to change settings, but those settings will not persist after a reboot.

Fortunately, there is a fix - you can clear the CMOS by removing the small battery located on the motherboard.  Wait 10-20 seconds, and then replace the battery.  The password on the BIOS will have been removed and you should be able to enable virtualisation.

it reverts to disabled after a reboot.
My PC is hp gaming laptop...

On 2/19/2020 at 8:06 AM, Xander CaGe said:

it reverts to disabled after a reboot.
My PC is hp gaming laptop...

It might be a little difficult to clear the CMOS with a laptop - did you contact HP support?  They might have encountered this issue before.

On 2/17/2020 at 6:42 PM, Tad Bittoomuch said:

What CPU do you have (does it support virtualisation)?

Best to check this before starting - HP might use a standard BIOS for all its machines, and although you might see an option to enable virtualisation, your CPU may not support it.

• 5 months later...

Windows 10 Home Doesn't Support Virtualization Technology.