Macbook Pro 2019 vs Macbook Air 2017

Hey guys,

I bought a Macbook Pro 2019 256GB 12 days ago. After using it all this time I really like MacOS, coming from loving Linux distros like Linux Mint and Ubuntu. Everything works just the way I want it to in terms of the OS and software. I haven’t had a single issue since migrating from Windows. My biggest problem is with the keyboard, even after altering the way I type by pressing the keys lightly I still have pain in my fingertips every time I want to use it, to the point where I’d rather avoid getting on the computer just to avoid having to type on the keyboard it’s that bad. When using the Macbook Pro my typing speed is significantly reduced compared to a regular keyboard. I also don’t like the trackpad I have pain in my index finger from having to hold down to click every time. I love the battery life and the lightness, the high quality aluminium design and high resolution screen but the keyboard and to some extent the trackpad is a dealbreaker for me. So I started looking around online to find the last models of the Macbook without the butterfly keyboard and I found the Macbook Air 2017. I went in store to check it out the screen looks worse but the keyboard seems a lot more usable. So I was wondering compared to the Macbook Pro 2019 which is unusable for me, how much slower is the Macbook Air 2017 and for the people that own one how do you find the keyboard compared to the MBP 2019? I am also open to using some kind of highly popular linux distro assuming it can edit Office files and run the latest version of Packet Tracer and mainstream IT software on a new laptop of any variety as long as it doesn’t have a butterfly-style keyboard and has excellent battery life (10+ hours). 

29 minutes ago, kratosthegodofwar said:

Hey guys,

I bought a Macbook Pro 2019 256GB 12 days ago. After using it all this time I really like MacOS, coming from loving Linux distros like Linux Mint and Ubuntu. Everything works just the way I want it to in terms of the OS and software. I haven’t had a single issue since migrating from Windows. My biggest problem is with the keyboard, even after altering the way I type by pressing the keys lightly I still have pain in my fingertips every time I want to use it, to the point where I’d rather avoid getting on the computer just to avoid having to type on the keyboard it’s that bad. When using the Macbook Pro my typing speed is significantly reduced compared to a regular keyboard. I also don’t like the trackpad I have pain in my index finger from having to hold down to click every time. I love the battery life and the lightness, the high quality aluminium design and high resolution screen but the keyboard and to some extent the trackpad is a dealbreaker for me. So I started looking around online to find the last models of the Macbook without the butterfly keyboard and I found the Macbook Air 2017. I went in store to check it out the screen looks worse but the keyboard seems a lot more usable. So I was wondering compared to the Macbook Pro 2019 which is unusable for me, how much slower is the Macbook Air 2017 and for the people that own one how do you find the keyboard compared to the MBP 2019? I am also open to using some kind of highly popular linux distro assuming it can edit Office files and run the latest version of Packet Tracer and mainstream IT software on a new laptop of any variety as long as it doesn’t have a butterfly-style keyboard and has excellent battery life (10+ hours). 

You’re having pain?  It might be something other than the keyboard.  RSI maybe.  Something else?  This may be an issue for a medial professional.

Is the MacBook you have now butterfly or non butterfly?  My memory is that even the butterfly keyboard didn’t have those kinds of problems.  People didn’t like it because of keyboard feel and reliability.  It wasn’t THAT big a difference.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

You’re having pain?  It might be something other than the keyboard.  RSI maybe.  Something else?  This may be an issue for a medial professional.

Is the MacBook you have now butterfly or non butterfly?  My memory is that even the butterfly keyboard didn’t have those kinds of problems.  People didn’t like it because of keyboard feel and reliability.  It wasn’t THAT big a difference.

nah bro.

Big difference.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I can attest to his pain. I've had the unpleasure of typing on those "keyboards" and my finger tips feel like I've been pressing and holing a button for hours, after mere seconds of typing. It's more like if the keyboard was holographic and your typing surface was solid concrete.

30 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

I can attest to his pain. I've had the unpleasure of typing on those "keyboards" and my finger tips feel like I've been pressing and holing a button for hours, after mere seconds of typing. It's more like if the keyboard was holographic and your typing surface was solid concrete.

Sounds like the problem is the typing style wants a keyboard with a much longer throw.  Preferably one that registers before bottoming out. Such keyboards are made, but not for laptops.  A full sized mech keyboard with long throw keys would be needed.  So an old style 1980’s keyboard twice a as thick as the whole laptop.

They are laptop keyboards.  Very short throw.  I’m not sure any different laptop keyboard would help at all.  Could be wrong.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

10 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Sounds like the problem is the typing style wants a keyboard with a much longer throw.  Preferably one that registers before bottoming out. Such keyboards are made, but not for laptops.  A full sized mech keyboard with long throw keys would be needed.  So an old style 1980’s keyboard twice a as thick as the whole laptop.

They are laptop keyboards.  Very short throw.  I’m not sure any different laptop keyboard would help at all.  Could be wrong.

No no. It has nothing to do with typing style - in fact I hate mech keyboards. I type on an old Chromebook I use for school. That thing has a rather wonderful keyboard, and I can type for hours. It's something with this particular keyboard from Apple. Older Macbooks were fine to type on.

I’ve decided I’ll return the MBP 2019. Compaing I’ll the i7 Macbook Air 2017 and Macbook Pro 2015 3.1ghz i7 the i7 5557U in the Macbook Pro 2015 is faster than the i7 5650U in the Macbook Air 2017. So I’ll buy a Macbook Pro 2015. Both have scissor switch keyboards.

On 2/15/2020 at 1:20 PM, Darkseth said:

Next month, Apple will probably show the 2020 Air, and Pro 13-14", with the "new" Scissor keyboard.

That’s true but it will probably be released in like June or July in Australia and be $3000. I returned the MBP and got my money back and now I’m thinking to myself I have no computer new enough right now to do my uni/college work maybe I should just buy the Air and be done with it or get a cheap Windows laptop while waiting for them to release the new Macbook.

2 minutes ago, kratosthegodofwar said:

That’s true but it will probably be released in like June or July in Australia. I returned the MBP and got my money back and now I’m thinking to myself I have no computer new enough right now to do my uni/college work maybe I should just buy the Air and be done with it or get a cheap Windows laptop while waiting for them to release the new Macbook.

Myself I’m not counting on accuracy for any projected or scheduled releases in the near future. 2019Ncov seems to be upending everything.

On 2/14/2020 at 1:13 PM, kratosthegodofwar said:

Hey guys,

First thing, do you have the 13” or 16”? 

Why are you clicking and holding? Is it for drag and drop because you can right click by using 2 fingers instead. Also you don’t have to press hard you can configure this in settings. 

I had the MacBook Air 2018 (butterfly) and the keyboard is different to the pro 16” I have now but not by much, once you get used to the new pro it’s fine and I personally I can type better on the pro. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?