Xfinity Manufacture

SHG_Marsh

I am trying to set up a local minecraft server for me and my friends but the only thing in my way is trying to port foward. I typed in my address into the browser and now I have to sign into xfinity. but I can't figure out my login. I looked at the back of my router and I tried going on https://www.routerpasswords.com/ but I csn't figure out the manufacture. Also i don't really know what i am loking for. I typed in my email/password, username/password, even the name on the router and that password

First things first: who is your ISP. Are you allowed to offer a server service on your connection? If not, you'd probably best off hosting it on AWS or similar instead. After all, you don't want your connection hacked because of your simple, but unprotected local minecraft server being exposed to the world. If you are allowed to host your own server, be pretty d&mn sure you know what you're doing, because if your server gets compromised, you are the one held accountable!

Yeah yeah, I see them screaming bl00dy murder, that you do nothing wrong, they should leave that simple server alone 'cuz you're just playin minecraft and it's totally unfair yabbadiyabbadi blah. But truth of the matter is, there are literally thousands of botnets all over the world, made up of all those nice, unprotected, under-the-radar little servers nobody has got the faintest idea they're actually commanded by someone other then the owner and can be used in cyber attacks against anyone and anything connected to the web at the push of a button for next to no money.

Sure, make that nice little minecraft server to play with your friends, but keep it constrained to your LAN and off the internet at all cost.

Sorry to be the messenger of Doom here, but given your question I strongly doubt you have enough knowledge to be a responsible server owner. (no offence, nothing personal!)

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

1 minute ago, Dutch_Master said:

First things first: who is your ISP. Are you allowed to offer a server service on your connection? If not, you'd probably best off hosting it on AWS or similar instead. After all, you don't want your connection hacked because of your simple, but unprotected local minecraft server being exposed to the world. If you are allowed to host your own server, be pretty d&mn sure you know what you're doing, because if your server gets compromised, you are the one held accountable!

Yeah yeah, I see them screaming bl00dy murder, that you do nothing wrong, they should leave that simple server alone 'cuz you're just playin minecraft and it's totally unfair yabbadiyabbadi blah. But truth of the matter is, there are literally thousands of botnets all over the world, made up of all those nice, unprotected, under-the-radar little servers nobody has got the faintest idea they're actually commanded by someone other then the owner and can be used in cyber attacks against anyone and anything connected to the web at the push of a button for next to no money.

Sure, make that nice little minecraft server to play with your friends, but keep it constrained to your LAN and off the internet at all cost.

Sorry to be the messenger of Doom here, but given your question I strongly doubt you have enough knowledge to be a responsible server owner. (no offence, nothing personal!)

I called and got the Login. But is my server going to be that bad if i just share my IP with 2-3 of my friends? I just want to play with my friends without buying a realm. 

I totally understand your position, but hackers scan the Web constantly to discover new, unprotected machines for them to take control over. So it would only be a matter of time before they discover your little server and if its not thoroughly secured, effectively you lost it.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

23 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

snip snip

Don't scare the guy awe with this BS talk. yes even do it can happen but you make it seam like their are people crawling for targets. If you have a up to date machine the chance of this happening is small to non existing. And also you say he has to little experience yet your gone recommend to use AWS are a other cloud offering witch will be more difficult and expensive.

maar als mede holland weet ik dat we we er van uit gaan dat het een nuclear explosie was maar het bleek uit eindelijk een rotje te zijn :P 

27 minutes ago, SHG_Marsh said:

I called and got the Login. But is my server going to be that bad if i just share my IP with 2-3 of my friends? I just want to play with my friends without buying a realm. 

even if you get 1000 people on the Ip that das not metter what metters is the benthwith so your upload and dowload speed. Please don't be discouraged by Dutch_Master, as someone how has hosted many servers before (web and game servers) it's not that hard or unsave.

Port forwarding is not a scare thing its just a wee of routing internet trafic with in a LAN sagment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_forwarding

"i reject your reality and substitute my own"

--- Workstion --- GamePc ---   

"College great Dropout Engineering"

7 hours ago, SHG_Marsh said:

I am trying to set up a local minecraft server for me and my friends but the only thing in my way is trying to port foward. I typed in my address into the browser and now I have to sign into xfinity. but I can't figure out my login. I looked at the back of my router and I tried going on https://www.routerpasswords.com/ but I csn't figure out the manufacture. Also i don't really know what i am loking for. I typed in my email/password, username/password, even the name on the router and that password

First of all Xfinity(Comcast) is your ISP. The username and password is generally on the bottom of the unit. If its not there, you can try calling them and asking. Be careful about how many people you have on that server. Because running internet facing servers on residential Xfinity connections is not allowed. If they figure it out, they might bitch at you or cancel your service. Generally if its just a small number of people they would never know, but if you get enough people and your pulling down massive amounts of bandwidth they will figure it out. ALSO be sure your area is not under the 1TB cap, most areas in the US are, the only exceptions I know of is the North East of the US and bulk agreements with apartment complexes and HOA's. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2020 at 1:23 PM, SHG_Marsh said:

In my case when we had Xfinity the ip login to the router configuration page was 10.0.0.1 instead of 192.168.1.1 usually the default username is username or admin and the default password is usually password sometimes its 1234 Although we were using the ISP provided router so this all changes between makers of your router.

Figured I'd post my experiences here.