Coil Whine RX 580

Lelouch Lamperouge

Coil whine is caused by current being drawn by your GPU. The only potential way to reduce the whine is to lower the current draw of the GPU, so undervolt the GPU or underclock the GPU or both. Obviously, this may lead to performance decline.

Realistically speaking, headphones or insulating your case are more reasonable solutions.

I used to own an msi rx 580 that had loud coil whine. I tried putting it in someones else's case that had sound dampening panels. It did very little if anything to stop the high pitched squeal. I also tried other strange fixes I read online like changing out the power supply, or even changing the processor. At the end of trying all this stuff I bought some good closed back headphones and turned the volume up a little more. The only thing that is going to work is getting a different graphics card all together.    

23 minutes ago, AaronThomas said:

Coil whine is caused by current being drawn by your GPU. The only potential way to reduce the whine is to lower the current draw of the GPU, so undervolt the GPU or underclock the GPU or both. Obviously, this may lead to performance decline.

Realistically speaking, headphones or insulating your case are more reasonable solutions.

I'm using a overclocked bios. So I should switch it to default?

1 minute ago, That90sKid said:

I used to own an msi rx 580 that had loud coil whine. I tried putting it in someones else's case that had sound dampening panels. It did very little if anything to stop the high pitched squeal. I also tried other strange fixes I read online like changing out the power supply, or even changing the processor. At the end of trying all this stuff I bought some good closed back headphones and turned the volume up a little more. The only thing that is going to work is getting a different graphics card all together.    

I just got new PSU. I got Ryzen 3 3200G
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A320M SH2
Should I try replacing motherboard?

I really wouldn't throw money at the problem. You could try using the non overclocked bios and see if it helps any. The problem is the graphics card itself. The coils on the card are physically vibrating causing the noise. 

Running less wattage through the card is the only chance you have to reduce the coil whine. I'd try the default BIOS, and maybe try installing MSI Afterburner and setting a reduced power limit on the card, maybe 80%.

If any of this reduces the coil whine enough, and you still get acceptable performance, then you win. Otherwise, you're stuck with the noise, or buying a new GPU.

5 minutes ago, That90sKid said:

I really wouldn't throw money at the problem. You could try using the non overclocked bios and see if it helps any. The problem is the graphics card itself. The coils on the card are physically vibrating causing the noise. 

Yea but it's so loud.. 
The video is old few days. I bought new powersupply and both connectors are plugged in.

Wow... That's some really loud coil whine. I would honestly try contacting Sapphire about that and see if than can replace the gpu. Coil whine usually isn't covered under warranty. But, it's worth a try at this point. However, if you bought the card from a retailer and it's within 30 days I would suggest returning it for another card. 

23 minutes ago, That90sKid said:

Wow... That's some really loud coil whine. I would honestly try contacting Sapphire about that and see if than can replace the gpu. Coil whine usually isn't covered under warranty. But, it's worth a try at this point. However, if you bought the card from a retailer and it's within 30 days I would suggest returning it for another card. 

Alredy did.

8 minutes ago, Lelouch Lamperouge said:

Alredy did.

Are you returning it or waiting for a reply from sapphire? 

1 hour ago, That90sKid said:

Are you returning it or waiting for a reply from sapphire? 

Waiting a reply from sapphire.

6 minutes ago, Lelouch Lamperouge said:

Waiting a reply from sapphire.

I wish you the best that's some of the worst coil whine I've ever heard. 

17 minutes ago, That90sKid said:

I wish you the best that's some of the worst coil whine I've ever heard. 

When I hear that sound I'm afraid that it's going to blow up xD

3 hours ago, That90sKid said:

Coil whine usually isn't covered under warranty.

Depend on the OEM... Sapphire does cover it, as do MSI and ASRock.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

On 2/11/2020 at 5:44 PM, Lelouch Lamperouge said:

When I hear that sound I'm afraid that it's going to blow up xD

Let us know what happen. Really interested to hear what Sapphire does about it. 

3 hours ago, That90sKid said:

Let us know what happen. Really interested to hear what Sapphire does about it. 

Theye said this:
The noise is coil whine that it is an electrically characteristic function when the choke on the card working. Due to the life cycle of the GPUs is very short and factory side won't not able to keep related components or GPUs to repair it.

16 minutes ago, Lelouch Lamperouge said:

Theye said this:
The noise is coil whine that it is an electrically characteristic function when the choke on the card working. Due to the life cycle of the GPUs is very short and factory side won't not able to keep related components or GPUs to repair it.

That's interesting, are you going to try one of these methods to try and fix it yourself? 

2 hours ago, That90sKid said:

That's interesting, are you going to try one of these methods to try and fix it yourself? 

I don't dare to open it myself, I'll probably contact a pc repair shop 

12 hours ago, That90sKid said:

I bought it for 150 eurs, I'll test the card on other motherboard that might be the cause. I'll probably get a better card next year.
Coil whine happens when I play Kingdom Come Deliverance and few latest games. 

I found two suspects. What should I put to reduce that choking sound? Should regular glue or something like that work

Capture.PNG

On 2/14/2020 at 10:58 PM, That90sKid said:

@That90sKid
I sent my card to pc local repair shop and everything is working smooth there. Probably my cheap Gigabyte A320M-SH2 motherboard is the cause (55$) xD

29 minutes ago, Lelouch Lamperouge said:

@That90sKid
I sent my card to pc local repair shop and everything is working smooth there. Probably my cheap Gigabyte A320M-SH2 motherboard is the cause (55$) xD

They plugged it into a test system and it didn't have any coil whine?

46 minutes ago, That90sKid said:

They plugged it into a test system and it didn't have any coil whine?

Exactly, theye tested with few power supplies and dvi d display ports and hdmi. Theye also told me that motherboard is the culprit here or my monitor. I'll test it with hdmi on my TV. 

I hope motherboard isnt the cause 

2 minutes ago, Lelouch Lamperouge said:

Exactly, theye tested with few power supplies and dvi d display ports and hdmi. Theye also told me that motherboard is the culprit here or my monitor. I'll test it with hdmi on my TV. 

I hope motherboard isnt the cause 

Well I'm glad you finally found out what was wrong. Pulling out the motherboard and replacing it would be a real pain.