Windows 10 PC suddenly unable to connect to certain services (Windows Update, modem settings, Steam game updates, Twitch chat, Discord)

Go to solution Solved by MJG,

try rolling back the last windows 10 update, i had a similar issue when a new patch rolled out... i rolled it back, worked fine, they eventually patched the update and i didnt have the same problems again

So this one is driving me a little crazy.

As of this morning, my PC is unable to connect to certain services and start certain application updates. Everything was working fine before shutdown last night, and now booting up this morning I'm unable to connect to Discord (app and browser), unable to connect to Twitch chats (video stream is fine), unable to begin Steam game updates (though able to open and connect to other Steam services, i.e. Store and Friends). I'm also unable to begin Windows Updates (updates settings page occasionally doesn't even load at all, usually just stays stuck at 0% downloaded) and unable to connect directly to my modem's default gateway IP unless I explicitly connect to it with an https:// prefix and tell Chrome to ignore the "unsafe" connection. All of these things were functioning fine before shutdown.

My confusion is that these seem to be the only things not functioning. I'm typing this from the affected PC right now, with YouTube and Twitch video streaming concurrently. I've opened every Chrome bookmark I've got and these are the only things I could find giving me issues.

I do not run any additional anti-virus or firewall besides Windows Defender, and already tried allowing Discord and Steam through the firewall (and temporarily disabling firewall completely) with no change.

The connection issues persist even when connected to a different network, like my phone's LTE mobile hotspot, and other devices on my home network are able to access these services fine. It's definitely specific to my own PC.

I haven't changed any local network settings or installed anything sketchy lately, and there aren't any programs getting between me and my network that I can tell (no virtual LAN, etc). I'm at my wits end and Google is coming up short.

What am I missing?

Win10 Pro x64 1909, most recent security updates (as of yesterday). Occurring on ethernet and wifi, private and public.

Edited by Potts
formatting

try rolling back the last windows 10 update, i had a similar issue when a new patch rolled out... i rolled it back, worked fine, they eventually patched the update and i didnt have the same problems again

7 hours ago, MJG said:

After digging around a bit this is what I ended up doing, and thankfully it worked.

For anyone that may find this in the future, I did find another potential solution that involved reinstalling IPv4 protocol under my Ethernet adapter properties, but something involving Windows group policy was blocking me from this so I decided to completely rollback.

On 2/11/2020 at 10:36 PM, Potts said:

After digging around a bit this is what I ended up doing, and thankfully it worked.

For anyone that may find this in the future, I did find another potential solution that involved reinstalling IPv4 protocol under my Ethernet adapter properties, but something involving Windows group policy was blocking me from this so I decided to completely rollback.

I actually tried doing that as a fix didnt work for me, I would recommend just rolling back and waiting for them to patch it, its not just you and not just me that this happens too... microsoft patches it out pretty quickly...

or sometimes you can reinstall again and it will work... ive also had where there were so many people pulling the updates at the same time something went wrong and a piece of the download corrupted and so fourth.....