Windows 10 Student

PyroTheWise

So I am researching building a new computer and I will need a windows license.  I know I can buy a Home/pro license but my kids are in college and can get a free Windows 10 student license.

I was wondering if anybody has used that license before and was there any restrictions that  I should worry about.  The research I have done does not show any possible issues but I prefer to hear from folks that might have used it in the past.

Here is one of the articles I read on the subjeect:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/get-windows-10-free-or-cheap,5717.html

Any thoughts/advice you have will be greatly appreciated.

NOTE:  Please do not suggest the 5/10 dollar cheap keys.   I am really just looking for information about the Window 10 student license and any issues/restrictions.  

You can buy an OEM MS 10 Pro key for like $5 off fleabay...it has all the bells and whistles...just you can't call up Microsoft if your OS crashed cause it doesn't come with a warranty.  Personally I couldn't care less cause it gives me a reason to do a fresh install of the OS...

7 minutes ago, Rancidpunk said:

I don't know how the licence works but this post might be relevant 

Get a key for about $10 if you google it.

Thanks for the link but I actually do know about group policies and how you can try to get around them, but every reboot (if you company is good, will just reforce the settings).   I don't try to get around them because I don't want to lose my job.

Also, I won't support piracy with the 10 dollar keys. If Windows 10 student doesn't work, then I will buy a full license from places like Amazon, New Egg, Microsoft

1 minute ago, PyroTheWise said:

Also, I won't support piracy with the 10 dollar keys. If Windows 10 student doesn't work, then I will buy a full license from places like Amazon, New Egg, Microsoft

It's not piracy...if it was you think Microsoft would activate your OS ?  The "key" you submit...get's sent to a MS server that authenticates it...then the MS server sends back an "approval" to activate your OS...

1 minute ago, Stu_Bear said:

It's not piracy...if it was you think Microsoft would activate your OS ?  The "key" you submit...get's sent to a MS server that authenticates it...then the MS server sends back an "approval" to activate your OS...

Where do you think that key comes from?   I don't believe you can make up any key and just use it.  Somebody is making keys off an Enterprise license agreement (which is then charged back to that company), used a stolen credit card, using their oem license and reselling keys....

Show me where MS will willingly sell those keys and I will then believe it is not piracy.  

So please, I really want this thread to be about the Windows 10 student license and not how to get cheap keys fast (as there are quite a few web-sites for that).

8 minutes ago, PyroTheWise said:

Where do you think that key comes from?   I don't believe you can make up any key and just use it.  Somebody is making keys off an Enterprise license agreement (which is then charged back to that company), used a stolen credit card, using their oem license and reselling keys....

Show me where MS will willingly sell those keys and I will then believe it is not piracy.  

So please, I really want this thread to be about the Windows 10 student license and not how to get cheap keys fast (as there are quite a few web-sites for that).

Sorry not trying to hijack the thread, but MS will sell keys all day long in large volumes to the highest bidder...or lowest bidder...just so long as they are making money.  They will sell 1,000 keys to my Anatolian Shepherd lovingly named "Piggy" if I could train her to speak and register her name on a business license.  Those would be OEM keys...meaning Piggy may or may not use them to activate MS 10 on the 1,000 laptops her brother, lovingly named "Booboo", is building in his dog house.  If Booboo happens to urinate on, and ruin, say 100 of those laptops before installing MS 10 on them...they are free to put those 100 keys on the open market for sale.  No law is broken in that scenario.  Not sure how you would use stolen credit cards to buy keys from Microsoft...

4 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

Sorry not trying to hijack the thread, but MS will sell keys all day long in large volumes to the highest bidder...or lowest bidder...just so long as they are making money.  They will sell 1,000 keys to my Anatolian Shepherd lovingly named "Piggy" if I could train her to speak and register her name on a business license.  Those would be OEM keys...meaning Piggy may or may not use them to activate MS 10 on the 1,000 laptops her brother, lovingly named "Booboo", is building in his dog house.  If Booboo happens to urinate on, and ruin, say 100 of those laptops before installing MS 10 on them...they are free to put those 100 keys on the open market for sale.  No law is broken in that scenario.  Not sure how you would use stolen credit cards to buy keys from Microsoft...

Interesting scenario.  I don't believe they could make money on 1000 keys at 5 bucks a license.  That means MS sold them at 1 dollar a license or less otherwise you would not be making enough money for it to be useful (in my opinion).

I appreciate your comments/suggestions, I really do.  However, I am not comfortable buying one of those license.  I have found in my life that whenever I buy something that makes me even slightly uncomfortable always bites me in the arse later. 

I am still working out the parts and money to build this computer.  It will be my first time actually building a computer since the 286 processor computers with dual floppies that I used to put together and the first time back into PC gaming in 20 years.   I want as few surprises/variables as possible.  Yes I am old....

6 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

Not sure how you would use stolen credit cards to buy keys from Microsoft...

There have been cases of that occurring where a partner sells a given volume of licenses and stolen cc's were used to complete the purchase. Normally these licenses would end up locked out of the activation database once the scam is deleted. Unsuspecting end users who buy these licenses end up failing to authenticate but the original criminal purchaser has already skived off with the money.

1 minute ago, Blai5e said:

There have been cases of that occurring where a partner sells a given volume of licenses and stolen cc's were used to complete the purchase. Normally these licenses would end up locked out of the activation database once the scam is deleted. Unsuspecting end users who buy these licenses end up failing to authenticate but the original criminal purchaser has already skived off with the money.

Ah...that is f'ed up!  I'm happy I've not had those experiences, but guess it could happen to anyone.  Here's a video of cheap keys...think it's informative.

Thanks, but still not comfortable.   i will stick with a standard retail key or windows 10 student (which will be free since I have a kid in college).