Keyboard build

I am looking to build a keyboard and i am looking at keyboard body kits trying to find one i like. i like the Glorious GMMK-TKL-RGB keyboard body https://www.newegg.com/black-glorious-gmmk-tkl-bare-bones-no-switches-included/p/N82E16823634004 . i also like the look of the Hexgears Gemini Dusk, https://kono.store/products/gemini-dusk?variant=15397902385235 but this is a full keyboard. I want it to be tkl, hotswappable switches, and a similar design style to these. if anyone has any suggestions that would be awesome! 

@sowon interested in this post?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

The Glorious GMMK is probably your best bet. @LukeSavenije owns one per recommendations and he's enjoying his one. He is currently running lubed 67g Tealios V2 inside his GMMK, plus is getting GMK Dualshot keycaps soon.

The GMMK is highly customisable in what keyswitches you want to use, obviously what keycaps you want, and the build quality is great. I can't comment too much on the stabilisers as I haven't read up on those myself, but the GMMK plus a switch of your choice (preferrably not Cherry) plus the fact that you said it's the design you're after, I highly recommend it.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

3 minutes ago, sowon said:

He is currently running lubed 67g Tealios V2 inside his GMMK

almost... they're 65g

4 minutes ago, sowon said:

I can't comment too much on the stabilisers as I haven't read up on those myself

they're plate mounted, factory lubed switches. not the greatest, but far better than offerings inside the general "gaming" market

the sockets itself are MX 3-pin, so any 3 pin or 5 pin with a nailclipper fits in it.

if you have any further questions about the board itself, feel free to ask

1 hour ago, sowon said:

The Glorious GMMK is probably your best bet. @LukeSavenije owns one per recommendations and he's enjoying his one. He is currently running lubed 67g Tealios V2 inside his GMMK, plus is getting GMK Dualshot keycaps soon.

The GMMK is highly customisable in what keyswitches you want to use, obviously what keycaps you want, and the build quality is great. I can't comment too much on the stabilisers as I haven't read up on those myself, but the GMMK plus a switch of your choice (preferrably not Cherry) plus the fact that you said it's the design you're after, I highly recommend it.

Just curious, why not cherry?

You can get the Drop Ctrl as a barebones kit. Essentially the same thing as the Gemini Dusk/Dawn.

7 hours ago, Scooby622 said:

Most options are better and/or cheaper.

Edited by seon123
How did I misspell Ctrl as Control?

:)

6 hours ago, Scooby622 said:

Most Cherry switches are less desirable than their counterparts (Gateron, Kailh, etc.), in tactility/smoothness/wobble. To be honest, the only two Cherry switches I'd consider are vintage blacks and retooled blacks (from an earlier batch).

10 hours ago, Scooby622 said:

I am looking to build a keyboard and i am looking at keyboard body kits trying to find one i like. i like the Glorious GMMK-TKL-RGB keyboard body https://www.newegg.com/black-glorious-gmmk-tkl-bare-bones-no-switches-included/p/N82E16823634004 . i also like the look of the Hexgears Gemini Dusk, https://kono.store/products/gemini-dusk?variant=15397902385235 but this is a full keyboard. I want it to be tkl, hotswappable switches, and a similar design style to these. if anyone has any suggestions that would be awesome! 

Mass Drop CTRL is another one to consider.

1 hour ago, yalox said:

Most Cherry switches are less desirable than their counterparts (Gateron, Kailh, etc.), in tactility/smoothness/wobble. To be honest, the only two Cherry switches I'd consider are vintage blacks and retooled blacks (from an earlier batch).

What are some good switches that you would recommend. I don't like the clicky switches

7 minutes ago, Scooby622 said:

What are some good switches that you would recommend. I don't like the clicky switches

Were you looking for tactile or linear? Also, what's your budget? Decent switches can range from $0.4/switch all the way to over $1 per switch.

1 minute ago, yalox said:

Were you looking for tactile or linear? Also, what's your budget? Decent switches can range from $0.4/switch all the way to over $1 per switch.

I think linear switches. I want something buttery smooth and quiet. Thinking of taking the switches apart and lubing them up. Probably don't want to spend much more than $60 for an 87 key keyboard but my budget isn't quite set yet. Building it With my tax return

6 minutes ago, Scooby622 said:

I think linear switches. I want something buttery smooth and quiet. Thinking of taking the switches apart and lubing them up. Probably don't want to spend much more than $60 for an 87 key keyboard but my budget isn't quite set yet. Building it With my tax return

$60 for the switches or the entire keyboard? Silent/dampened switches, or just regular linears? You may want to consider the Alpaca/ Silent Alpaca, Tealios/Healios and Gateron Ink V2. If you're already taking them apart, you can also consider adding switch films and/or changing the stem for an UHMWPE stem, whenever they become available again. 

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

$60 for the switches or the entire keyboard? Silent/dampened switches, or just regular linears? You may want to consider the Alpaca/ Silent Alpaca, Tealios/Healios and Gateron Ink V2. If you're already taking them apart, you can also consider adding switch films and/or changing the stem for an UHMWPE stem, whenever they become available again. 

$60 for the switches. What is switch film and the uhmwpe stem. Im thinking the silent/dampened switches would work since im looking for quiet and smooth right?

1 hour ago, Scooby622 said:

$60 for the switches. What is switch film and the uhmwpe stem.

Switch film is a small film that sits between the two halves of the housing. It changes the sound somewhat and reduces the wobble. You can get ones from e.g. TX Keyboards. Invyr UHMWPE stems are linear stems made of UHMWPE. They are very smooth. There was a GB a few weeks ago, but they aren't available anymore. You could check if there are GBs for future batches.

1 hour ago, Scooby622 said:

Im thinking the silent/dampened switches would work since im looking for quiet and smooth right?

Depends on how quiet you want them to be and how hard you type. Some may be fine with the noise from regular switches that just aren't clicky.

5 hours ago, seon123 said:

Switch film is a small film that sits between the two halves of the housing. It changes the sound somewhat and reduces the wobble. You can get ones from e.g. TX Keyboards. Invyr UHMWPE stems are linear stems made of UHMWPE. They are very smooth. There was a GB a few weeks ago, but they aren't available anymore. You could check if there are GBs for future batches.

I would advise against filming most switches other than Cherry, if added incorrectly films can do more harm than good. 
Batch 3 of the bumwipe stems are calling soon, https://invyr.com/products/invyr-uhmwpe-linear-stems-110-pack?variant=31295720816715