amd first build problems

FirestarThunder

sooooo, I tried to build my first amd cpu tower today, but for some reason it wont post, even with just ram in, and if I use my 1000 watt power supply,it just blinks then nothing, I know the motherboard is fine, please help

4 minutes ago, Worstcaster said:

What are your full specs?

Putting my money on B450 motherboard with Ryzen 3000 CPU

Alternatively, 9th gen Intel in B360/Z370 motherboard

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

amd ryzen 5 3600

amd r9 390 8gb

1000watt psu

16 gb ddr4 3600

256 sabrent m.2 nvme ssd

Just now, FirestarThunder said:

amd ryzen 5 3600

amd r9 390 8gb

1000watt psu

16 gb ddr4 3600

256 sabrent m.2 nvme ssd

wich mobo? Could be a old bios issue 

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

1 minute ago, FirestarThunder said:

amd ryzen 5 3600

amd r9 390 8gb

1000watt psu

16 gb ddr4 3600

256 sabrent m.2 nvme ssd

Gotta quote people so we can see your replies

Use a pcpartpicker.com link, way more helpful. We don't know what power supply you're using even

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, FirestarThunder said:

msi x570 A pro

What light is blinking on the motherboard? Have you tried with half the ram in it?

Edited by Fasauceome

Primary PC:

Also double tripple checked all the connections and cables, reseated CPU,RAM etc?

12 minutes ago, FirestarThunder said:

it just blinks then nothing

Does this mean that even the fans don't spin?

Primary PC:

Yeah, no fans or anything, although I can unplug the cpu power and get the gskill tidentzneos to light up and all the fans to spin with the cpu light on telling me the cpu isn't working

Just now, FirestarThunder said:

Yeah, no fans or anything, although I can unplug the cpu power and get the gskill tidentzneos to light up and all the fans to spin with the cpu light on telling me the cpu isn't working

then its likely some sort of plugin problem. As stated above: replug everything. Else you might have a DOA board or something.

12 minutes ago, Worstcaster said:

Any bent pins on the CPU?

No

12 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

then its likely some sort of plugin problem. As stated above: replug everything. Else you might have a DOA board or something.

I dont believe a doa motherboard would work all personally, although I dont havenmuch experience with brand new parts either

20 minutes ago, FirestarThunder said:

none, not even a debugging light

32 minutes ago, FirestarThunder said:

and if I use my 1000 watt power supply,it just blinks then nothing

is it blinking or not?

also

32 minutes ago, FirestarThunder said:

I know the motherboard is fine

how do you know?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Well, when I have the cpu out the cpu light comes up, that's why I believe the motherboard is working

Only when I use my 1000 watt power supply does it light up, if only for a moment, when I use a 650 watt it doesn't do anything at all

Based on what you have said I would lean towards the MOBO or CPU.  The failure rate on MOBOs are higher than CPUs, so if I had to guess blind I would lean towards that.  My boards flashes for a second too, when I first power up the PSU, so that seems normal.  That being said, that just shows power is getting to the board.  You CPU socket could be faulty for example.  If you have a friend with another AM4 chip you could give that a try.

I actually found out by accident that both the motherboard and cpu might me doa, mostly because the last time I tried to boot it shot sparks and everything, so I'm having a new cpu and motherboard sent. I was on the MOBO box when this happened, so I didn't ground it