Jump to content

Poor InDesign & PDF Viewing Performance

Hi.

 

I'm a graphic designer by trade, and have noticed a significant drop in performance recently when working in InDesign files and viewing PDFs that contain numerous large graphics.
My PC is a Windows 10 machine with a 7700k (OC'd to 4.5ghz), 32GB DDR4 Ram, a GTX1080, a Samsung 970 Evo boot drive, Samsung 850 Pro drive for files and 850 Evo drive for cache.


I also use a 2014 i5 iMac when working from certain locations, and my Windows machine has always demolished this. However, recently the Windows machine's ability to cope with these files seems a lot closer to the iMacs.

 

I've monitored Task Manager and HWMonitor while working in these files and it doesn't seem like anything in the system is being overloaded or driven very hard, with the exception of a CPU utilisation spike to 96% on one thread while InDesign was attempting to load a page full of assets.

 

Is this simply poor multi-threaded support from Adobe or is there something I can do to improve performance in this area?

 

Help is greatly appreciated!

Annotation 2020-02-03 235210.jpg

Annotation 2020-02-03 235227.jpg

Graphic Designer & Video Editor, Professional Musician & Music Producer:

i7 7700k, GTX1080, 32GB DDR4 Ram, 970 Evo, 850 Pro, 850 Evo, 840 Evo

Macbook Pro 16 2.3ghz i9

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think thats pretty normal for all computers, doesnt matter what windows PC I use when I view a PDF with a large graphic my system bogs down until I have scrolled past it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

you can try affinity in cores to resolve stuttering viewing large pdf+s. or check hardware acceleration of nvidia graphics card updting your drivers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are your graphics rasterize to a single layer in the PDF. Multiple layer cause extreme lag as it load the bitmap for the full size in memory and it get's worst as you zoom the pages. The fastest rendering is setting Adobe Reader to no scrolling at 1 page per view. Also if your images can be interpreted as vectorial by the implementation of the PDF renderer the page will contain vectorial data and this is extremely slow to compute especially as this is CPU bound and not GPU bound.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Franck said:

Are your graphics rasterize to a single layer in the PDF. Multiple layer cause extreme lag as it load the bitmap for the full size in memory and it get's worst as you zoom the pages. The fastest rendering is setting Adobe Reader to no scrolling at 1 page per view. Also if your images can be interpreted as vectorial by the implementation of the PDF renderer the page will contain vectorial data and this is extremely slow to compute especially as this is CPU bound and not GPU bound.

Unfortunately I don't always have control over the PDFs. Often they are supplied. However, I'll try changing the viewing options to load only a single page.

 

10 hours ago, aaradorn said:

I think thats pretty normal for all computers, doesnt matter what windows PC I use when I view a PDF with a large graphic my system bogs down until I have scrolled past it.

That's fair. It's mainly InDesign that is the cause for concern, but I suppose this is just how it is. I'm certain that performance has gotten worse since the Creative Cloud 2020 update but it's hard for me to corroborate that with any evidence!

 

10 hours ago, muito_gostoso said:

you can try affinity in cores to resolve stuttering viewing large pdf+s. or check hardware acceleration of nvidia graphics card updting your drivers.

Hardware acceleration is definitely enabled and graphics drivers are always kept up-to-date. However, I'll look into processor affinity. Have never tried this but if it works, it might be worth doing. Thanks!

Graphic Designer & Video Editor, Professional Musician & Music Producer:

i7 7700k, GTX1080, 32GB DDR4 Ram, 970 Evo, 850 Pro, 850 Evo, 840 Evo

Macbook Pro 16 2.3ghz i9

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Only thing I can recommend is to make sure you have checked all the performance settings in InDesign and Acrobat so that they are hardware accelerating and using the dedicated GPU. But in general I think they just run poorly on any system

The Daily Driver:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC  |  48GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600  | Corsair 750D Case
AsRock X570 Pro 4 mobo

iRacing Sim Rig:

i5-10600k @ 5.0 GHz  |  EVGA GTX 1080ti Hybrid  | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600  |  Corsair Air 540 Case
ASUS Z490-E ROG Strix mobo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Melbourne_Creative said:

Unfortunately I don't always have control over the PDFs. Often they are supplied. However, I'll try changing the viewing options to load only a single page.

Indesign is a very advance software that let you do tons of things. Most people output their catalogs with tons of layers and i deal with them often. You can if you use a lower end PDF printer open the document and print into another PDF. This will 99% of the time use a rasterizer which doesn't support layers and will then generate a single layer image at "typically" 600 dpi which i have seen 4-5 page PDF of 30 mb size going down to 2 mb in size.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×