RTX 2070 & i9 for C4D Bad or best idea? (Laptop)

Realmagine

Hi there, Looking to upgrade my laptop with a Quadro K3000m and a i7-4790 for C4D (Redshift & XParticles) and After Effects work mostly....

Shuffling around details about the RTX 2070 and i9 with 8 cores sounds fun... 

But will I get better render performance with a i7 6core and RTX 2070 or bite the bullet for a RTX 2080 and i9 or so? 

Anyone who could shed some light on the issue? Much appreciated :) 

Do you need it to be mobile? If not you could build a rendering rig and keep your current laptop for on the go stuff?

If you do need a laptop, I'd get as many cores as you can and stick with a 2070, when rendering there won't much time saved when the 2080 starts to heat up.  It might also be worth looking at a laptop with a 1660 or something and getting a GPU enclosure with a desktop gpu.

*edit - spelling

8 minutes ago, kieguru said:

Do you need it to be mobile? If not you could build a rendering rig and keep your current laptop for on the go stuff?

If you do need a laptop, I'd get as many cores as you can and stick with a 2070, when rendering there won't much time saved when the 2080 starts to heat up.  It might also be worth looking at a laptop with a 1660 or something and getting a GPU enclosure with a desktop gpu.

*edit - spelling

Hi there, good points. Being more mobile is better. But if the workload needs ramping up, will definitely look at a separate desktop and GPU.

And thanks on the 2080 point too.

42 minutes ago, Realmagine said:

Hi there, good points. Being more mobile is better. But if the workload needs ramping up, will definitely look at a separate desktop and GPU.

And thanks on the 2080 point too.

No worries :)

Just one more thing to note, I'd wait for the Ryzen 4000 mobile CPUs to ship with laptops, 8C16T on a 7nm chip will work wonders for what you need.

1 hour ago, Realmagine said:

Hi there, Looking to upgrade my laptop with a Quadro K3000m and a i7-4790 for C4D (Redshift & XParticles) and After Effects work mostly....

Shuffling around details about the RTX 2070 and i9 with 8 cores sounds fun... 

But will I get better render performance with a i7 6core and RTX 2070 or bite the bullet for a RTX 2080 and i9 or so? 

Anyone who could shed some light on the issue? Much appreciated :) 

Get a Ryzen 3950x, and a Quadro if all you need to do is creative work like editing and rendering. If you also need to game on it, you should get an RX 5700xt because those provide better editing and rendering performance while still being good voor gaming.

Edit: nevermind, just saw you need a laptop.