looking for a PSU

idwt

Hello, im looking for a new PSU, im from the UK and want to spend no more then £50 GBP, 

i dont mind waiting a week or so for shipping

i need 550-600w, 80+ gold or bronze, and a reptuble brand.

if you have any reccomendations for websites to shop on that ship to UK Mainland, or a brand/PSU reccomendation it would be appariciated, thank you

-idwt

5 minutes ago, idwt said:

Hello, im looking for a new PSU, im from the UK and want to spend no more then £50 GBP, 

i need 550-600w, 80+ gold or bronze, and a reptuble brand.

if you have any reccomendations for websites to shop on that ship to UK Mainland, or a brand/PSU reccomendation it would be appariciated, thank you

-idwt

If you don't mind paying 10 pounds over your budget, I would go for an EVGA power supply, or Corsair. The one I found is 550 W Bronze and fully modular.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-BRONZE-Modular-Compact-220-B3-0550-V3/dp/B071HDP8TQ/ref=sr_1_4?crid=W9W1BYFBRS1I&keywords=evga+600w&qid=1580721506&sprefix=EVGa+6%2Caps%2C471&sr=8-4

If you really need 550-600W, you should have a very high end system with something like a 2080 Ti. If you only have a budget of £50, I'm guessing that's not the case. What are your specs? 

:)

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

If you really need 550-600W, you should have a very high end system with something like a 2080 Ti. If you only have a budget of £50, I'm guessing that's not the case. What are your specs? 

you can find my spec list along with my PcPartPicker link on my profile, my 1070 AMP is extremly hench, and i also want headroom for a few years so when i upgrade heavily i wont have to rush out and grab a new PSU, spending more money

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

I got a 1080 and i5 but I still got a 750 W for efficiency

3 minutes ago, AlexWarFire said:

If you don't mind paying 10 pounds over your budget, I would go for an EVGA power supply, or Corsair. The one I found is 550 W Bronze and fully modular.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-BRONZE-Modular-Compact-220-B3-0550-V3/dp/B071HDP8TQ/ref=sr_1_4?crid=W9W1BYFBRS1I&keywords=evga+600w&qid=1580721506&sprefix=EVGa+6%2Caps%2C471&sr=8-4

wow fully modular aswell, i think thats worth the £10, thank you very much, i will keep it in mind 

2 minutes ago, idwt said:

you can find my spec list along with my PcPartPicker link on my profile, my 1070 AMP is extremly hench, and i also want headroom for a few years so when i upgrade heavily i wont have to rush out and grab a new PSU, spending more money

It's a good idea to have some headroom, you never know when you will upgrade your PC.

3 hours ago, AlexWarFire said:

It's a good idea to have some headroom, you never know when you will upgrade your PC.

750 W for headroom? Electronics imho are getting less power hungry, not more.

3 hours ago, AlexWarFire said:

but I still got a 750 W for efficiency

Efficiency has nothing to do with wattage afaik.

Edited by noxdeouroboros

4 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

750 W for headroom? Electronics imho are getting less power hungry, not more.

Efficiency has nothing to do with wattage afaik.

1: I got a 750 W because I wanted to upgrade later down the line.

2: PSUs are the most efficient at about 70 to 85 % load so I got a 750 W.

1 minute ago, AlexWarFire said:

1: I got a 750 W because I wanted to upgrade later down the line.

2: PSUs are the most efficient at about 70 to 85 % load so I got a 750 W.

1. To what? Some kind of super duper high end hardware?

2. 750 W is a big overkill, there are systems that require more, yes, but your reasoning is highly flawed.

3. I'm not a psu guru so won't be participating in this discusion any more, let's hope someone much more versed in psu's gonna respond to your statements.

2 hours ago, AlexWarFire said:

PSUs are the most efficient at about 70 to 85 % load so I got a 750 W.

Nah.  Wattage doesn't really effect efficiency and the whole "you need to be xx% to get there best efficiency" isn't true, at least not to any degree that actually makes a difference. Might be 1% difference between 30% and 80% load. The only concern is that they're often less efficient at power loads (<20%) so by buying a higher wattage PSU than you need you could be making efficiency worse... Though it probably wouldn't matter that much since with low loads a 5% difference in efficiency might only be the difference of 3-5w.

Here's the efficiency graph for the EVGA G3 (850w, 750w isn't on cybenetics). Pretty much a straight line after 20% load.

Screenshot_20200204-020831_Drive.thumb.jpg.d61f85729e4fba0be0f4844b8765dc37.jpg

(Source: https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database2&params=1,0,36)

If you're worried about efficiency just get a PSU with a good 80+ rating. The EVGA G3 that you have (according to profile specs) is 80+ gold and as you can see in the graph above it has good efficiency.

6 hours ago, idwt said:

i need 550-600w, 80+ gold or bronze, and a reptuble brand

The be quiet pure power 11 500w might be within (or close to) your budget. It's often pretty cheap in the UK. 500w should be plenty for a system with a GTX 1070.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

5 hours ago, Spotty said:

Nah.  Wattage doesn't really effect efficiency and the whole "you need to be xx% to get there best efficiency" isn't true, at least not to any degree that actually makes a difference. Might be 1% difference between 30% and 80% load. The only concern is that they're often less efficient at power loads (<20%) so by buying a higher wattage PSU than you need you could be making efficiency worse... Though it probably wouldn't matter that much since with low loads a 5% difference in efficiency might only be the difference of 3-5w.

Here's the efficiency graph for the EVGA G3 (850w, 750w isn't on cybenetics). Pretty much a straight line after 20% load.

Screenshot_20200204-020831_Drive.thumb.jpg.d61f85729e4fba0be0f4844b8765dc37.jpg

(Source: https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database2&params=1,0,36)

If you're worried about efficiency just get a PSU with a good 80+ rating. The EVGA G3 that you have (according to profile specs) is 80+ gold and as you can see in the graph above it has good efficiency.

The be quiet pure power 11 500w might be within (or close to) your budget. It's often pretty cheap in the UK. 500w should be plenty for a system with a GTX 1070.

That's the entire reason I got a 750 W gold, it fitted my budget, might be overkill, but indeed future proof.

18 minutes ago, AlexWarFire said:

That's the entire reason I got a 750 W gold, it fitted my budget, might be overkill, but indeed future proof.

Generally, you're better off getting a higher end PSU than a higher wattage one. Why pay for something you might use in the future, instead of something you will benefit from, both now and in the future?

:)

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

Generally, you're better off getting a higher end PSU than a higher wattage one. Why pay for something you might use in the future, instead of something you will benefit from, both now and in the future?

I agree, but I got mine because I've heard from my friends it was a descent unit, but thank you for your advices.

23 hours ago, noxdeouroboros said:

1. To what? Some kind of super duper high end hardware?

2. 750 W is a big overkill, there are systems that require more, yes, but your reasoning is highly flawed.

3. I'm not a psu guru so won't be participating in this discusion any more, let's hope someone much more versed in psu's gonna respond to your statements.

you never know whats coming out next. you never know that in a year or two Nvidia will drop some crazy 16gb VRAM card that is cheaper then graphics cards have ever been before.

dont get me wrong its highly unlikely, but there is a chance

14 minutes ago, idwt said:

you never know whats coming out next. you never know that in a year or two Nvidia will drop some crazy 16gb VRAM card that is cheaper then graphics cards have ever been before.

dont get me wrong its highly unlikely, but there is a chance

Just gonna ignore this statement.

People who know about psu's advised you what to get, but you go ahead and listen to the one person who has even less knowledge about psu's than me. That's odd thing to do imo.

Edited by noxdeouroboros

There's not really any harm in buying a higher wattage PSU than you need. Only hurts your wallet in spending more for something you aren't going to be able to take advantage of. The only problem is when you have a set budget and choose a worse quality higher wattage unit instead of a better quality power supply. Some people think they need to get a 750W power supply so they buy the cheapest one they can when they would have been better off with a good quality 450W.

Since you have a budget of 50 pounds then any high wattage power supply (that isn't garbage) is out of the question. The Corsair CX550 is currently 53 pounds on Amazon.co.uk which would be a good option around your budget.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 hours ago, Spotty said:

There's not really any harm in buying a higher wattage PSU than you need. Only hurts your wallet in spending more for something you aren't going to be able to take advantage of. The only problem is when you have a set budget and choose a worse quality higher wattage unit instead of a better quality power supply. Some people think they need to get a 750W power supply so they buy the cheapest one they can when they would have been better off with a good quality 450W.

Since you have a budget of 50 pounds then any high wattage power supply (that isn't garbage) is out of the question. The Corsair CX550 is currently 53 pounds on Amazon.co.uk which would be a good option around your budget.

everyone is saying 550-600w is way too much, but my graphics card minimum sais 500w or higher, im not tryna scrape the 500w, i want to know my pc is healthy and has enough wattage, i feel like people here are silly,

thank you for the reccomendation though :)