750w PSU for a 2060 Super & Ryzen 3600 = Overkill?

Tomsta

I'm trying to see where i can save some money off my new build (without compromising on performance) i originally had a 750w PSU (80+ Gold) pegged for my build, but after reading up some information turns out i might have gonna a bit overboard

I'm not planning on overclocking or adding in any more GPUS (planning on keeping this machine for like 8 years like my current setup; which has components from 2012). Is a 750w PSU overkill for what i'm gonna be putting in it? If so what Wattage should i be looking at?

PSUs and monitors tend to be something a lot of folks carry over from old to new builds.  If you're getting a good price on the PSU then I don't see a problem with using it.  You don't need that much, but if you aren't paying extra for it then I won't argue against it.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Yes, 750W is overkill for a ~250W PC. You should be looking at a decent 400-550W PSU, depending on what's available and the pricing.

:)

PSU is one of the very few components that IS futureproof...you'll upgrade and rebuild your computer over time and chances are you will want to keep your PSU if it's a good one...and you'll never know how much power you might want in the future...so my suggest is indeed to buy something that carry more than you need for piece of mind and upgradability in the future.

At some point in the future maybe you'll be rocking a RTX 4080ti Super with a 64 core Ryzen 5900X on a custom loop with 12 fans and leds everywhere and you'll be glad you didn't buy a 500W POS :)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

13 minutes ago, nick name said:

PSUs and monitors tend to be something a lot of folks carry over from old to new builds.  If you're getting a good price on the PSU then I don't see a problem with using it.  You don't need that much, but if you aren't paying extra for it then I won't argue against it.  

PSU i currently have isn't the most efficient (being 8 year old technology) don't think it was 80+ rated at the time. I can't recall as i'm not near my machine right now

1 minute ago, Tomsta said:

PSU i currently have isn't the most efficient (being 8 year old technology) don't think it was 80+ rated at the time. I cna't recall as i'm not near my machine right now

Well I made mention not as an argument to keep you're old PSU, but that if you had a good one then it's not uncommon to use that good PSU in several machines.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

1 minute ago, Tomsta said:

PSU i currently have isn't the most efficient (being 8 year old technology) don't think it was 80+ rated at the time. I cna't recall as i'm not near my machine right now

Also, in 8 years from now the RTX 2060 will be useless i'm sure...with new generation of consoles coming out and everything, i feel games are about to make a nice jump...i wouldn't be surprised at all if in 2 years from now you'd want to upgrade it really bad...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

23 minutes ago, Tomsta said:

I'm trying to see where i can save some money off my new build (without compromising on performance) i originally had a 750w PSU (80+ Gold) pegged for my build, but after reading up some information turns out i might have gonna a bit overboard

I'm not planning on overclocking or adding in any more GPUS (planning on keeping this machine for like 8 years like my current setup; which has components from 2012). Is a 750w PSU overkill for what i'm gonna be putting in it? If so what Wattage should i be looking at?

If you watch jayztwocents then you'll notice he uses 1000W or higher PSUs for systems that only require around 300W - he explicitly said that having too big of a power supply doesnt matter since your components only draw the necessary power from it - if you already have a 750W PSU then dont worry about common beliefs which roam the internet. It's also good to prepare for the future when you get parts like threadripper or a 2080 ti that are power hungry.

2 minutes ago, Warren Hanson said:

If you watch jayztwocents then you'll notice he uses 1000W or higher PSUs for systems that only require around 300W - he explicitly said that having too big of a power supply doesnt matter since your components only draw the necessary power from it - if you already have a 750W PSU then dont worry about common beliefs which roam the internet. It's also good to prepare for the future when you get parts like threadripper or a 2080 ti that are power hungry.

I'm aware of the videos you are referring to when he mentions that PSUs are always most efficient at around half load, i'm just seeing if i can save some money by changing the PSU i'll get and not compromise too much on performance or efficiency

1 minute ago, Warren Hanson said:

If you watch Jayztwocents, you should also notice that he has no clue whatsoever about anything when it comes to PSUs. He can create some beautiful builds and entertaining videos, but do not trust anything he says about PSUs.

7 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

PSU is one of the very few components that IS futureproof

21 minutes ago, nick name said:

Intel recently released a spec for 12VO PSUs. Changing the 24-pin connector and getting rid of the 3,3V and 5V rails, instead moving them to the motherboard. It may be worth keeping that in mind when choosing a PSU.

:)

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

If you watch Jayztwocents, you should also notice that he has no clue whatsoever about anything when it comes to PSUs. He can create some beautiful builds and entertaining videos, but do not trust anything he says about PSUs.

Intel recently released a spec for 12VO PSUs. Changing the 24-pin connector and getting rid of the 3,3V and 5V rails, instead moving them to the motherboard. It may be worth keeping that in mind when choosing a PSU.

I agree with the jay sentiment.

However, that new Intel spec isn't meant for custom builds.  It's meant for pre-builts and small form factor and I believe it was also spurred by California legislation.