Fan control

Jamesgames99

I have too many fans for my desktop, I looked online and found Y splitters, my fans draw 0.3 amps, my concern is the splitter is a 4 pin to a 4 and 3 pin, will the missing pin mean it will be on full blast at a time?

4th pin is for pwm control if u dont use the 4the pin the fans will be controlled over voltage so u still have some control left but not the full range 

do you mean that the third pin out 4 is missing? fan splitter cables always leave out the PWM pin on the second header (either not connected, or physically missing) because it is a signal that is produced by the fan, and combining the output of two fans may have "unknown" results.

On 1/27/2020 at 1:26 PM, manikyath said:

do you mean that the third pin out 4 is missing? fan splitter cables always leave out the PWM pin on the second header (either not connected, or physically missing) because it is a signal that is produced by the fan, and combining the output of two fans may have "unknown" results.

The 3rd pin is the for rpm and not pwm. The 4th pin is for pwm which can still be used for control / modulating the signal. The rpm is only read from one fan. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

The 3rd pin is the for rpm and not pwm. The 4th pin is for pwm which can still be used for control / modulating the signal. The rpm is only read from one fan. 

thats what i meant, i must've been tried the other day.. ?