Small Business - File Sharing

engtechy

I'm in need of a file sharing solution that differs from services like OneDrive & Dropbox, where the storage path is dependent on user (C:\Users\UserName\OneDrive). I collaborate with co-workers (at the moment there's only 3 of us) and we all work from separate locations in our homes. We are planning to hire more employees in the future.

I'm looking for a cloud service that would act like a Windows Server where all  users, while connected to the web, would see a drive as it would any other local-networked drive. The work that we do requires that the file paths stay static once created or things get to be a PITA so that said, that's the reason OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.. won't work for us. We do not want to buy/maintain hardware but do not mind paying for a cloud service as long as the experience would mimic a local network storage solution. Lag Times would be a nightmare. We would need approximately 500GB to 1TB to start with ability to add more storage if needed either by expanding the "drive" or creating a new drive.

Solutions welcome.

Thanks.

Is sharepoint an option for you?

While permissions aren't always ideal, it does work alright for my applications.

So you want a solution that works like a mapped network drive where it gets a drive letter but you don't want to host the server.

Solutions like this might exist but I'll be the first to say I've never heard of them. Closest thing to it that I can think of would be to rent a server in a datacenter and connect to it over a VPN.

Google Drive File Stream maps to a drive letter and keeps your data in the cloud (no sync required).  This requires a Google Apps for Business/Education account.

gfs-example.jpg.0c5fea918375350191767abe7df8a5be.jpg