Random keyboard and mouse disconnects

Hey guys!

I just built myself a new PC and I'm running into first minor issues, which are pretty annoying. 

At some point, when my pc is running for a bit, my mouse and keyboard will just disconnect randomly at the same time. The funny thing is that the LEDs are still lit up, but I can neither move my cursor nor type anything. After I physically disconnect/reconnect them, they work fine again. I also have an audio-interface and a webcam connected which don't seem to be affected by this, except the fact that I have to reconnect my audio interface after boot for my PC to actually power it. 

I'm using a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite, SteelSeries Apex M750 keyboard and a SteelSeries Rival 600 Mouse. I didn't have these issues with my old PC so I suppose it is because of the motherboard. Are any of you guys familiar with this? I have mouse and keyboard connected to the USB 2 ports on the motherboard btw, if that makes a difference.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

I have the same Motherboard as you and i had the same Problems.

The only Thing that worked for me ( so far ) is to plug in all your USB Devices to the USB 3.0 and 3.1 Ports.

Some People told me, that there isn't enough Voltage on the USB 2.0 Ports so it randomly disconnects.

Hope this Helps :)

On 1/25/2020 at 2:45 PM, Morco said:

Hey guys!

I just built myself a new PC and I'm running into first minor issues, which are pretty annoying. 

At some point, when my pc is running for a bit, my mouse and keyboard will just disconnect randomly at the same time. The funny thing is that the LEDs are still lit up, but I can neither move my cursor nor type anything. After I physically disconnect/reconnect them, they work fine again. I also have an audio-interface and a webcam connected which don't seem to be affected by this, except the fact that I have to reconnect my audio interface after boot for my PC to actually power it. 

I'm using a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite, SteelSeries Apex M750 keyboard and a SteelSeries Rival 600 Mouse. I didn't have these issues with my old PC so I suppose it is because of the motherboard. Are any of you guys familiar with this? I have mouse and keyboard connected to the USB 2 ports on the motherboard btw, if that makes a difference.

Cheers!

are there any softwares that control these? have you tried driver updates? just thought i would ask 

On 3/8/2020 at 3:44 AM, TUGiF said:

I have the same Motherboard as you and i had the same Problems.

The only Thing that worked for me ( so far ) is to plug in all your USB Devices to the USB 3.0 and 3.1 Ports.

Some People told me, that there isn't enough Voltage on the USB 2.0 Ports so it randomly disconnects.

Hope this Helps :)

I actually did this myself a couple weeks ago and I haven't had problems since. It's still weird though, because they were being connected to USB 2.0 ports on my old system. It's w/e now I guess, but it certainly was super annoying. Thanks for your help anyway. :)

On 3/8/2020 at 4:50 AM, Luna.exe said:

are there any softwares that control these? have you tried driver updates? just thought i would ask 

I updated all the drivers and apart from that, there are no other softwares that actually control or influence the periferals. It was probably the problem @TUGiF mentioned above I guess and it is fixed for now, thanks for you help though. :)

Quick question.  In the event you don't want to monopolize your faster USB ports with keyboard and mouse -- what happens when you only move one to another USB port and leave the other in the 2.0 port?  This is purely to satisfy my own curiosity.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Interesting question... I'm not sure, I guess the one in the 2.0 port would just disconnect at times and the other one would just stay connected. 

Another fun thing though: My mouse and keyboard exclusively disconnected at the very same time, and when I would pull them out and plug them back in the same port, only the mouse would work and the keyboard would stay disconnected. I actually had to switch up the respective ports in order for both of them to function normally again.