w.o.w internet

MartinIAm
Go to solution Solved by schizznick,

Mail servers us SMTP to send and receive mail... so as was already stated it's not unusual for an ISP to block 25/465/587 which will prevent email from getting to the server. It often requires a business class service to get that to work.

I have wow internet and I have the 200mbps package with tv and I want to setup a mail server at home. I can send mail using googles smtp relay but I can’t receive any and I checked my firewall logs and nothing went through but on the other end it says it’s not able to send it. Does wow block pop3 and imap? If they do how can I make a virtual machine that forwards all my mail from aws to my mail server at home?

No internet provider blocks pop3 or imap.

If you use gmail, open the setup guide for imap.

If you use your own server, learn how to setup an imap server.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 hour ago, SupaKomputa said:

If you use gmail, open the setup guide for imap.

If you use your own server, learn how to setup an imap server.

Well I have mailcow-dockerized and I can’t receive any mail and I don’t know really what to do. 

On 1/25/2020 at 12:29 PM, SupaKomputa said:

That would be for checking external mail.  Most residential providers block inbound TCP 25/465/587 which will break inbound mail to you.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

Mail servers us SMTP to send and receive mail... so as was already stated it's not unusual for an ISP to block 25/465/587 which will prevent email from getting to the server. It often requires a business class service to get that to work.

You provided zero details on how this is even setup.  Static IP, DNS entries, mail server, etc?

There's also another pitfall, reverse DNS.  Some e-mail providers will simply not deliver if the reverse DNS entry (which can only be changed by your ISP) doesn't match your DNS MX entry for the mail server.

You also might run into issues where you have to whitelist your IP address with various e-mail providers, as the previous person who had it was a spammer and got it blacklisted.

Once you've jumped those hoops you have to make sure you aren't an open relay, setup spam filters on the server, etc.

Its basically a royal PITA to host your own e-mail server at home compared to just renting a VPS where you can setup a lot of this stuff more easily and your e-mail wont bounce if your broadband goes down.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 1/27/2020 at 8:49 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

You provided zero details on how this is even setup.  Static IP, DNS entries, mail server, etc?

There's also another pitfall, reverse DNS.  Some e-mail providers will simply not deliver if the reverse DNS entry (which can only be changed by your ISP) doesn't match your DNS MX entry for the mail server.

You also might run into issues where you have to whitelist your IP address with various e-mail providers, as the previous person who had it was a spammer and got it blacklisted.

Once you've jumped those hoops you have to make sure you aren't an open relay, setup spam filters on the server, etc.

Its basically a royal PITA to host your own e-mail server at home compared to just renting a VPS where you can setup a lot of this stuff more easily and your e-mail wont bounce if your broadband goes down.

I see. I was gonna use gsuite’s relay to deal with the blacklist, but the IP address changing was a problem that I kept in mind. I use a dynamic ip currently so it most likely won’t work anyway. And as schizznick and beerskyin’s said they mostly likely block incoming ports which also would not make it an option.

Renting a vm for me is a option for me, but I tried doing this so I can get as much storage as I please at my own cost instead of paying someone like amazon per gb of storage. 

I think I might stay with gsuite for now until I switch to a business account or get a static ip and ask for incoming ports to be opened for me.