Help with circuit

KillerTortoise1
Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,

Go with a higher voltage, because this means less amps are required to drive the thing at the rated power you want. More amps means you need beefier cables.

You can find 12V power supplies with the typical barrel connector, so use that as your power input to the system. And while the minimum amount of current you need for a 12V power supply to produce 100W is about 8.3A, you should get something that produces more as a buffer. So something more like 10A or 12.5A.

Going with USB will not work because it's typically 1A-2A at 5V. You could up the power output by going with USB-PD, but this requires some know-how to safely tell a USB-PD based charger to increase said power.

This is my first post so hi all, I need some help and I thought this would be the forum to get it. I’m doing a home project where I’m wanting to make an induction heater, I have the parts and that but I need a way to power it, it’s been a while since engineering school and I’ve forgotten mostly everything. The device takes between 5-12v with a max of 100w. Initially I thought a 9v battery would be enough but although it can heat, it’s not to and sufficient temperature, needs more amps. Does anyone know how to supply this power, I was thinking usb but I don’t think that has enough power I know there are mains to 12v connectors but I’m not sure how to wire that up. I know another option would be to use a variable power supply but those are huge and the aim is to fit this into a small box eventually. 

Go with a higher voltage, because this means less amps are required to drive the thing at the rated power you want. More amps means you need beefier cables.

You can find 12V power supplies with the typical barrel connector, so use that as your power input to the system. And while the minimum amount of current you need for a 12V power supply to produce 100W is about 8.3A, you should get something that produces more as a buffer. So something more like 10A or 12.5A.

Going with USB will not work because it's typically 1A-2A at 5V. You could up the power output by going with USB-PD, but this requires some know-how to safely tell a USB-PD based charger to increase said power.