Buy a High End Used Machine Question-Worth

Helltech

So, a guy in my area is selling this machine for 800 dollars. 

https://www.amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC-GXiVR8080A3-Overclockable-i7-8700K-Motherboard/dp/B07GG6286Y

Seems to be worth quite a lot more, unless I'm mistaken. I want to ensure I'm not getting screwed over on anything, like if he switched the GPU out for something else that looks similar and I don't know. What should I look for, we are meeting at a police station and I don't think I will have a way to power the machine on and look into task manager.

29 minutes ago, Helltech said:

https://www.amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC-GXiVR8080A3-Overclockable-i7-8700K-Motherboard/dp/B07GG6286Y

Seems to be worth quite a lot more, unless I'm mistaken. I want to ensure I'm not getting screwed over on anything, like if he switched the GPU out for something else that looks similar and I don't know. What should I look for, we are meeting at a police station and I don't think I will have a way to power the machine on and look into task manager.

Thats a pretty good deal for $800, unless it is a scam.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

2 minutes ago, VEXICUS said:

If I can bring power and boot into Bios with keyboard mouse and monitor, that should be all i need to do right?

3 minutes ago, VEXICUS said:

that item is not even for sale.
oapxu2kl.png

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

33 minutes ago, Helltech said:

Task manager is not the way to check specs. to check specs you open Run box, type dxdiag, and press ok. regardless, if you want to check internals you would need to open it and check everything. if you dont know how to do this, you cant really buy a used PC safely.

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

35 minutes ago, Helltech said:

see if you can get the side panel open, there should be stickers on the GPU and RAM that says what it is. check those and see if they match. With the CPU though, you'll need to remove the heatsink and clean out the thermal paste to check if you can't power it up.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, LamoidZombieDog said:

that item is not even for sale.
oapxu2kl.png

I know. Someone in my area has one. It's used. Not new. But this is the machine that he has.

1 minute ago, LamoidZombieDog said:

Task manager is not the way to check specs. to check specs you open Run box, type dxdiag, and press ok. regardless, if you want to check internals you would need to open it and check everything. if you dont know how to do this, you cant really buy a used PC safely.

Oh I do. I just know that i have a 1070 strix and a 1080 strix and they look exactly the same.... for example. I don't think I could realisticly look at a 2080 that someone hands me and go "Oh yeah thats a 2080 100 percent". 

4 minutes ago, Helltech said:

Oh I do. I just know that i have a 1070 strix and a 1080 strix and they look exactly the same.... for example.

6 minutes ago, LamoidZombieDog said:

I just want to make sure the GPU is the correct one. Task Manger/Bios/Dxdiag/systeminfo/get-computerinfo in powershell. I know how to check it those way. I just mean if I don't have a way to power the machine... and I'm really just talking about the GPU I guess. Easy to check the CPU, though I'd rather not tear his machine apart if I end up not buying it..

6 minutes ago, Helltech said:

Oh I do. I just know that i have a 1070 strix and a 1080 strix and they look exactly the same.... for example. I don't think I could realisticly look at a 2080 that someone hands me and go "Oh yeah thats a 2080 100 percent". 

gotta look at the model stickers and everything as well. my MSI ARMOR GTX 1070 8GB has a Sticker for that, all GPUs do.

VGJ6JkZESeq2x2-2UhhBWeOUXoZY_AnAiREdJmG5T5j6VsumjBo073g1kGImvhnG60Rza-kqal8zX6Pprwi16CSW5IgsGAAMUMFlv18iqF9Z52c6zHwMdInztVorlqvv5KQKc0_Quh0uWdwkTdAGaFu7zN_Xw8xmIw2nYC_fTMDkY7PI5UMNLpL352Sov_v13O72EjPhKT-tontli_Nb6bemT1gxiImd5Bm8f9o9nW0bt-yzuw76KL9j0t2FB9pNMFsyNXw8nNYDYyBva8ndcP7pj_FaIVECNBsObWpkw7L_7inN2vk_Z5kzMpp7TGBlxDtZf7Qai4AzXwAOts6Ch4vjRpShvGJvdH3vtE0j18V4hFiOnLmhkNNko-7-ZHBowo_sLxjoeCwGVzOw82caigZOJZt3Yq5zZT37lIeF_l5cdR7Zuf3BQoMeCz7EScHL_39618c0ibaqMpW85zTPtnRDQvPJSc663ul47oHsl6IvO9FGC0Wm4UdJa7s2Ie7SnEt5Oi491I0JxZcG8Ll32FQdFbNzKUlLNcYclvPg4mfWTIxsEIpT-d6Hv2rUomnhWJFor2DTq9WrZB_igOH47WFJO9HW0sV0q-_TS82aJu192pBKQVyicXtmelRI7fXkTpMDIRfiN9_d8B_KRBpqZwNkn-ol5rA25HqBR3l4FKPyvTKDzyR0G30=w1921-h909-no

it is quite dumb that some GPUs look almost exactly the same, but one way to tell is a 1070 strix has one 8pin Power, and the 1080 strix has more then 1.

xxbcgvn6.pngw89ylyes.png

8 minutes ago, LamoidZombieDog said:

gotta look at the model stickers and everything as well. my MSI ARMOR GTX 1070 8GB has a Sticker for that, all GPUs do.

VGJ6JkZESeq2x2-2UhhBWeOUXoZY_AnAiREdJmG5T5j6VsumjBo073g1kGImvhnG60Rza-kqal8zX6Pprwi16CSW5IgsGAAMUMFlv18iqF9Z52c6zHwMdInztVorlqvv5KQKc0_Quh0uWdwkTdAGaFu7zN_Xw8xmIw2nYC_fTMDkY7PI5UMNLpL352Sov_v13O72EjPhKT-tontli_Nb6bemT1gxiImd5Bm8f9o9nW0bt-yzuw76KL9j0t2FB9pNMFsyNXw8nNYDYyBva8ndcP7pj_FaIVECNBsObWpkw7L_7inN2vk_Z5kzMpp7TGBlxDtZf7Qai4AzXwAOts6Ch4vjRpShvGJvdH3vtE0j18V4hFiOnLmhkNNko-7-ZHBowo_sLxjoeCwGVzOw82caigZOJZt3Yq5zZT37lIeF_l5cdR7Zuf3BQoMeCz7EScHL_39618c0ibaqMpW85zTPtnRDQvPJSc663ul47oHsl6IvO9FGC0Wm4UdJa7s2Ie7SnEt5Oi491I0JxZcG8Ll32FQdFbNzKUlLNcYclvPg4mfWTIxsEIpT-d6Hv2rUomnhWJFor2DTq9WrZB_igOH47WFJO9HW0sV0q-_TS82aJu192pBKQVyicXtmelRI7fXkTpMDIRfiN9_d8B_KRBpqZwNkn-ol5rA25HqBR3l4FKPyvTKDzyR0G30=w1921-h909-no

it is quite dumb that some GPUs look almost exactly the same, but one way to tell is a 1070 strix has one 8pin Power, and the 1080 strix has more then 1.

xxbcgvn6.pngw89ylyes.png

Yeahh i know they have subtle difference for sure. I'll take a look for the sticker. Thanks! If he has pulled it off and I can't get power to the machine I think I'll just back out.

sounds like a very good deal a little bit too good to be true

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

55 minutes ago, LamoidZombieDog said:

gotta look at the model stickers and everything as well.

Anyone can removed a sticker from one video card and put it on another.   

After looking at a few of those computers on Amazon, I would pass on it.  The components are the cheapest ones available including the power supply.  The CPU cooler, power supply and case would need to be swapped out and that's $300 - $400 dollars right there.   

Just now, BobbyPdue said:

After looking at a few of those computers on Amazon, I would pass on it.  The components are the cheapest ones available including the power supply.  The CPU cooler, power supply and case would need to be swapped out and that's $300 - $400 dollars right there.   

Thanks for the headsup. I WOULD just be using this to replace my guest computer and not my own computer however. My current main computer is sli 1070s, and a 8600k so I was just gonna do a switcharoo on the CPU/GPU with my main computer and then use the other as a guest computer with a single 1070. My guest computer is extraordinary old and needs an update anyway. Thought that would be a decent deal, in that regard. Though why would the case need to be swapped? Seems like an ok case.

2 minutes ago, Helltech said:

Though why would the case need to be swapped? Seems like an ok case.

I can't be 100% sure and am just going by how the case looks, but it looks like there is little to no air flow with that case. I think ibuypower spends more on looks than function, because that's what sells pre-builds. 

3 minutes ago, BobbyPdue said:

I can't be 100% sure and am just going by how the case looks, but it looks like there is little to no air flow with that case. I think ibuypower spends more on looks than function, because that's what sells pre-builds. 

Gotchya, thanks I'll just put it in my old Switch 810 case then. Thank you.

13 minutes ago, BobbyPdue said:

That would be way less then 300-400.

On 1/21/2020 at 10:46 AM, LamoidZombieDog said:

That would be way less then 300-400.

It depends on what kind of a CPU cooler, power supply and case.  I wouldn't spend less than $200 on those three things since they can move from one built to the next and the next. 

7 hours ago, Helltech said:

It was a legit deal, and everything was in amazing condition. 

Even if the PSU needs a swap, a used 8700K and MOBO with an RTX 2080 probably covers the 800. 

Any other usable components are a throw in.

Good to see things worked out for you!

On 1/21/2020 at 3:42 AM, Helltech said:

Yeahh i know they have subtle difference for sure. I'll take a look for the sticker. Thanks! If he has pulled it off and I can't get power to the machine I think I'll just back out.

if part stickers and model numbers are pulled off any part thats sketchy.