Benchmarks show good score, but performance is poor + Bad frames and stutter.

Hi there!

i7 6700k, GTX 1080, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 @3200Mhz - I have been having stuttering and bad performance for a long time, I've done absolutely everything to try and fix it. I've messed with bios settings, reset them, changed them, followed instructions from other enthusiasts etc, I've re installed windows countless times, I've replace EVERY SINGLE PART of my system, I purchased an entirely new system on credit, to which I had to return as even that still had worse performance than it should have and a stuttering problem, I was pretty convinced it was my powerline, so recently I got a UPS so then I'd have surge protection, AVR and be running off of batteries. Of-course, this made absolutely no difference. I am at my wits end, really close to quitting PC all together. 

It's in a majority of games I play, even movies lag sometimes, here's a few game examples: PUBG, CS:GO, Beat Saber, Pavlov, Boneworks, GTA V. All of these have a weird stutter and after playing for a bit, my performance absolutely dies and frame rates drop more often than they should, for example I'll turn Boneworks down to the lowest settings, play for a bit with the weird stutter, then my system will half my frame rate to 45, from 90 (This tends to happen in VR when under load) as if it's getting tired, which doesn't happen to my friend who has a very similar system, he only really gets frame drops when under very intense loads, no stutter though. Here is a userbenchmark I ran earlier for reference, where all seems normal: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/23793960

Any help would be massively appreciated.

(The worst part is, I'll be getting a Valve Index in March and I fear my experience will be shit due to poor framerates, despite my good specs)

Can you use msi afterburner or similar to check cpu/gpu usage and temperature? Might be throttling.

You pitted your computer against a UFO and 2 war ships. No wonder you're getting bad performance. reee.thumb.PNG.ec5d52c6fbcaa8a308307479970b3ed5.PNG

Try the PC in another part of your home.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

34 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

You pitted your computer against a UFO and 2 war ships. No wonder you're getting bad performance. reee.thumb.PNG.ec5d52c6fbcaa8a308307479970b3ed5.PNG

Try the PC in another part of your home.

Tried this I'm afraid, didn't help. Also tried in a different house and with a UPS as stated in the post, no improvement.

36 minutes ago, Arika S said:

what temperatures are you getting on CPU and GPU when it drops?

They go up, but nothing too bad. GPU can go to 85 and I've seen the CPU go to 85+ but it's not often, normally hovers at 65-75 when gaming. Temps should be fine, as my CPU is water cooled and the thermal paste was applied correctly.

38 minutes ago, TheEpicDuck said:

Can you use msi afterburner or similar to check cpu/gpu usage and temperature? Might be throttling.

Temps are okay I'm pretty sure,  GPU can go to 85 and I've seen the CPU go to 85+ but it's not often, normally hovers at 65-75 when gaming. As for usage, that's normal from what I can tell

1 minute ago, Fedzor said:

Temps should be fine, as my CPU is water cooled and the thermal paste was applied correctly

85+ on water is definitely not normal

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

7 minutes ago, Arika S said:

85+ on water is definitely not normal

You're right, usually it doesn't go that high but yeah, it can do. Mostly fine though.

ok first my 6th gen i7 would start throttling at 80 so i have never let it get above 70. saying you have watercooling and that it wont throttle because of it is dumb. i have always had better performance with good air coolers than an h100i triple rad or any water cooler. if i were you i would undervolt the CPU to drop temps until i could get a good air cooler. but yes at 85 you are definitely thermal throttling.