Most VPN's are blocked in my school. Any advice?

Overtime

I've tried every single option on NordVPN and Windscribe (which both respectively have a ton of ports/options to choose from), SoftEther, OpenVPN/Tunnelblick (with as many configs/ports I could find), and every single free VPN you could possibly find on the first 5 pages of Google. The ONLY vpn that works is somehow Hotspot Shield (free) which only connects to the US servers, and is very slow.

I'm on a mac and I need any (preferably Canadian, I am using it to stream games and I do want to keep it low latency) VPN suggestions that could work in my school. I could also make my own VPN/VPS on my home computer if thats possible?

Thanks!

EDIT: If there is any PC streaming programs like Parsec that directly connect to my PC at home it would probably work too, I've tried most and they don't work like that.

LTT recently made a video about making your own VPN. 

Also, not sure if this would work but maybe using 1.1.1.1?

Just now, GeoHandle said:

LTT recently made a video about making your own VPN. 

Also, not sure if this would work but maybe using 1.1.1.1?

My main concern about making my own VPN is that it would probably be blocked along with all of the other VPN's ive tried, would it not?

Also, 1.1.1.1 doesn't unblock anything for me.

Just now, Misly said:

do you use a laptop or a pc at school

I use a mac, but worse case I can dual boot to Windows if there is a windows-only solution.

It's either Layer 4 filtering or there is a default lockdown on VPN sites through the router. 

How are you accessing them? Just going to their site? 

Just now, Mbowen said:

It's either Layer 4 filtering or there is a default lockdown on VPN sites through the router. 

How are you accessing them? Just going to their site? 

VPN sites? The sites are blocked, but I download the VPN's at home and try it out at school, that isn't the issue.

Just now, Misly said:

you could try setting up a hotspot and connecting to that

Hotspot like your phone data or a private VPS at home? Again I would be able to do that but wouldn't it get blocked along with every other VPN i've tried?

Just now, Misly said:

on your phone

I have around a 1gb limit on Data, in Canada this stuff is really expensive.

2 minutes ago, Overtime said:

VPN sites? The sites are blocked, but I download the VPN's at home and try it out at school, that isn't the issue.

Layer 4 is packet filtering. Basically it matters which router/firewalls you're going through. At home you wouldn't have that kind of limitation unless for some reason all the students had an "always on" school vpn. 

Go oldschool. Swing around the filter using a Proxy site. Whenever we wanted to get around blacklist filtering at our schools we'd connect to a site (proxy.com hypothetically) and it would let you brows through their domain.

IE. Proxy.com/cornhub/singles-looking-to-get-husked-in-your-area.html.

Obviously I made up the name of a riske site and link but you get the gist from that. You could take a really long route around and access the VPN through that.

These topics are not allowed in this forum. The polices are in place for a reason. The school wants to block traffic and it's ultimately up to them

Just now, Mbowen said:

Layer 4 is packet filtering. Basically it matters which router/firewalls you're going through. At home you wouldn't have that kind of limitation unless for some reason all the students had an "always on" school vpn. 

Go oldschool. Swing around the filter using a Proxy site. Whenever we wanted to get around blacklist filtering at our schools we'd connect to a site (proxy.com hypothetically) and it would let you brows through their domain.

IE. Proxy.com/cornhub/singles-looking-to-get-husked-in-your-area.html.

Obviously I made up the name of a riske site and link but you get the gist from that. You could take a really long route around and access the VPN through that.

I want to play games in class and that wouldn't really work. I just want a vpn-type solution to allow everything to work

Microsoft created SSTP VPN's which use port 443 by default. This allows VPN access that is rarely blocked. It does have Linux/Unix support as well as windows support. It does support MAC but i've never used it on Mac personally. 

Just now, Overtime said:

I want to play games in class and that wouldn't really work. I just want a vpn-type solution to allow everything to work

Theoretically. But there are several different ways that we sort out internet traffic in businesses and schools. I use packet filtering and black listing. They generally cover all methods. Exactly what game are you trying to play? 

Just now, schizznick said:

Microsoft created SSTP VPN's which use port 443 by default. This allows VPN access that is rarely blocked. It does have Linux/Unix support as well as windows support. It does support MAC but i've never used it on Mac personally. 

Is there any vpn's that use SSTP that I can download? I'm not sure I understand if SSTP itself bypasses everything or if it's the specific port it's using, but I've tried port 443 with UDP/TCP/everything and it doesn't work.

Just now, GodSeph said:

use school internet to study?

Think how much more information he's learning right now trying to get around the rules ;)

Just now, Mbowen said:

Theoretically. But there are several different ways that we sort out internet traffic in businesses and schools. I use packet filtering and black listing. They generally cover all methods. Exactly what game are you trying to play? 

I use Parsec to stream my PC to my mac, so it just opens up everything.

1 minute ago, Overtime said:

I use Parsec to stream my PC to my mac, so it just opens up everything.

Well, depending one what kind of setup your school is running, the only two options I see are either rdp into a PC and use it to play the game, or setup your own VPN using a protocol that the school uses as well. That way they can't block it without targeting you specifically. (When I say setup your own VPN, I mean to your home network)

Just now, Mbowen said:

Well, depending one what kind of setup your school is running, the only two options I see are either rdp into a PC and use it to play the game, or setup your own VPN using a protocol that the school uses as well. That way they can't block it without targeting you specifically. (When I say setup your own VPN, I mean to your home network)

Sounds good, is there any unblockable VPN types/protocols, or is there any way I can check specifically what type of VPS i can make? It would suck to have to make like 10 different types to find one with the right ports/etc.

*** Thread locked ***

VPNs are bit tricky subject here. We usually don't allow discussion on how to bypass school/workplace network settings as those are in place for various and acceptable reasons.

Discussion about bypassing regional restrictions instead is fine. Mainly as the forum follow Canadian laws, and this would fall under free speech (in case of countries which limit access to websites). LTT also frequently endorses using VPNs in this manner.

Also, backseat moderation isn't allowed. I find it really funny how people tell others what is or isn't allowed without knowing better themselves. Report and move on. Anything else is not required.

The following is not an exhaustive list of the rules and guidelines that must be followed when participating on Linus Tech Tips. The moderation team reserve the right to terminate any and all accounts or remove any content at any stage without prior notice. The rules outlined below are only the minimum expectations of members and not every issue can be predicted and addressed here, so conduct could still be considered out of line even if it isn't explicitly covered here. The instructions of the moderation team must be followed at all times.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv