Why To Choose 120hz Instead Of 60hz

Hello everyone.I couldn't find another topic about it that is why i create new.I need advice why to choose 120hz monitor for pure gaming.I don't know exactly what is tearing and how to avoid it,so please help me with that.Also I am looking to buy good 24'' monitor and I will be very happy if you suggest me one.Thank you a lot

When the frame rate exceed the monitors refresh rate you get screen tearing. So 100fps on a 60hz monitor = screen tearing. 100fps on a 120hz monitor = no screen tearing. Being able to display 120fps makes the games and more feel more smooth (windows 7 also feels more smooth). Some people cannot tell the difference, but some people can as far as 60fps vs 120fps looks. I can definitely tell the difference, and 120hz was more than worth it for me and I suggest you get one also if you enjoy gaming. It would also be worth looking for a display that has 1ms response time.

Asus has a 144hz monitor with 1ms response time that may be worth checking out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

It's 24inch and supports nvidia 3d if you fancy that.

Well it depends on your graphics card mostly. If you have some good card at least like 660 ti or up (or HD7870 and up if you're into AMD) then you should bother.

So if we get that away, there is a lot of room to think of is it worth it. Pure gaming and other non colour dependent tasks (like  internet surfing) would be much more satisfying on a 120hz+ monitor, because the TN matrix type wouldn't bother you as much, but movies and any even medium level photoshop\light effects experiences would not be as pleasant as standart 60hz but IPS panels. Just the ability to lie back a little on any chair is mostly unachievable with TN monitors, because of the colour shift.

The next part of the question is tearing. So basically the Villain described it correctly, thou he forgot to tell about the V-sync option. Turning it on on a high level graphics card will stop tearing by fixing fps to constant 60 (as 60hz refresh of a monitor). But again, if you have poverful GC you are throwing away some performance because it can do more frames then you let it to do. 120hz monitor brings the top amount of frames you can see to 120, and it makes games much more satisfying.

Well it depends on your graphics card mostly. If you have some good card at least like 660 ti or up (or HD7870 and up if you're into AMD) then you should bother.

I will get at least 2 high end gpus very soon so the horsepower will not be a problem.Thanks

When the frame rate exceed the monitors refresh rate you get screen tearing. So 100fps on a 60hz monitor = screen tearing. 100fps on a 120hz monitor = no screen tearing. Being able to display 120fps makes the games and more feel more smooth (windows 7 also feels more smooth). Some people cannot tell the difference, but some people can as far as 60fps vs 120fps looks. I can definitely tell the difference, and 120hz was more than worth it for me and I suggest you get one also if you enjoy gaming. It would also be worth looking for a display that has 1ms response time.

Asus has a 144hz monitor with 1ms response time that may be worth checking out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

That is very very helpfull.Thank you

It will really only be noticable if your playing FPS games

I just got the monitor you mentioned above (ASUS VG248QE), and it is AWESOME.  I had been pulling my hair out trying to solve terrible screen tearing with my previous 60Hz panel.  Capping frame rates didn't always work, and Vsync helped sometimes, but caused lag problems and other weirdness.  I was spending more time in nVIDIA inspector than actually playing games.

This thing runs at up to 144Hz, so I turned off all framerate caps and Vsync and the tearing has disappeared.  I did turn the rate caps back on at 60FPS in some games to smooth things out (I suspect that has something to do with my SLI setup?)

I also got the nVIDIA 3D vision kit to play with and it works very well with this monitor (it supports the light boost feature to help make 3D brighter and more colourful.)  It bumps the refresh rate down to 120Hz for most 3D games, but some stay running fine at 144Hz.

Ultra-in-depth review here:    http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/asus-vg248qe

Only complaints are that the higher the refresh rate, the less contrast there is and the colors start getting washed out.  However, the guys who wrote the review above provide an ICC color profile to help with that problem (worked for me.)

Amazing display, good price, and the contrast issues are manageable IMO.

AMD FX8350 • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula Z • GeForce GTX 780 + 660 Ti x3 • Cooler Master HAF X • ASUS VG248QE 144Hz LCD+GSYNC • Corsair AX860i

Logitech G19 / MX518 • G.Skill RipjawZ 1866 4x4GB • Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD • WD 1TB Black SATA IIIx2 • Noctua NH-D15

PC gamers are more sensitive to the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz. The reason for that is because we sit so close to our screens and use the mouse as a pointing device. We tend to take for granted how precise our use of the mouse is. But we use it for very subtle movements in ps games which 120Hz renders more smoothly.

Having said that I would pick a 60Hz IPS.

Tearing generally occurs when an LCD monitor receives a signal that exceeds its refresh rate. In theory, a 120Hz monitor won't have this issue as much as a 60Hz monitor would (at least with current hardware), and this seems to be the case, at least for me.

I highly recommend choosing a 120Hz+ panel if you don't mind having worse colors and want to maximize your gaming experience (in terms of your score). The difference is very noticeable, it's a must-have for any extremely competitive player, but I don't recommend using it for all purposes.

I have the 27" Asus VG278He 144hz monitor and I can NOT go back to 60hz, NEVER.

My second monitor is 60hz and whenever I drag a window around on it, it just feel so slow, it is unreal. And yes, that is just because of the low refresh rate, i have tested my 144hz monitor at 60hz vs my other one at 60hz, they were both about equally fast.

It does not only make a difference for FPS gaming, but any application where accurate mouse movements are critical, like moving the mouse on the desktop, or for example in the game audiosurf(Here a little vid if you don't know the game:http://youtu.be/n96ukoG1-kQ?t=34s)

I can not play audiosurf, shooters or most other fast pace games on a 60hz monitor anymore, I just can't, I am far too used to such a low latency, if I use a 60hz monitor I play really bad, after an hour or so it gets better, but then going back to 120hz afterwards is like opening your eyes for the first time..again. 

Also, all of my friends who I showed this monitor and let them play for ~15min, after than short period of time, having never used a 120hz monitor before, they could tell the difference. I set the refresh rate, while they look away from the monitor and they can tell wether the monitor is set to 60hz or 120hz, noone ever got it wrong once.

Why should you choose a 120hz monitor?

-It will improve your gaming performance

-Your eyes will be less strained

I think these are my main thoughts on the topic :)

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Sorry creating own thread

I have the 27" Asus VG278He 144hz monitor and I can NOT go back to 60hz, NEVER.

My second monitor is 60hz and whenever I drag a window around on it, it just feel so slow, it is unreal. And yes, that is just because of the low refresh rate, i have tested my 144hz monitor at 60hz vs my other one at 60hz, they were both about equally fast.

It does not only make a difference for FPS gaming, but any application where accurate mouse movements are critical, like moving the mouse on the desktop, or for example in the game audiosurf(Here a little vid if you don't know the game:http://youtu.be/n96ukoG1-kQ?t=34s)

I can not play audiosurf, shooters or most other fast pace games on a 60hz monitor anymore, I just can't, I am far too used to such a low latency, if I use a 60hz monitor I play really bad, after an hour or so it gets better, but then going back to 120hz afterwards is like opening your eyes for the first time..again. 

Also, all of my friends who I showed this monitor and let them play for ~15min, after than short period of time, having never used a 120hz monitor before, they could tell the difference. I set the refresh rate, while they look away from the monitor and they can tell wether the monitor is set to 60hz or 120hz, noone ever got it wrong once.

Why should you choose a 120hz monitor?

-It will improve your gaming performance

-Your eyes will be less strained

I think these are my main thoughts on the topic :)

It's not just refresh rate, but also response time as well. A good analogy is at a start of a race, the response time is comparable to the delay before the runner starts running after they are allowed to begin.

It's not just refresh rate, but also response time as well. A good analogy is at a start of a race, the response time is comparable to the delay before the runner starts running after they are allowed to begin.

Be careful, response time is not input lag.

Response time is the 1ms, 2ms or 5ms you see on most monitors, it ist jetz the response time of the panel, so just how long the ppixels take to change to the next frame.

Input lag is the time between you moving your mouse and the camera moving and there are many components in that chain and it is not very easy to measure, but usually in those tests, 120hz monitors do the best (around 8ms for the best ones I think, not sure tho)and TVs do the worst(up to around 120ms is not rare) ;)

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

• 3 months later...

With 120hz you get half the amount of tears per refresh of the monitor compared to 60hz at a set framerate, so if you don't use v-sync, that's a plus. Also, in response to something Villain said, tearing happens on all refresh rates at any FPS, a tear is simply the end/beginning of a frame, I'm pretty sure that's true anyway, there is a chance I could be wrong.

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

I have both the ASUS 24" 144Hz and the 27" 2560x1440 monitor.  I use both dependent on which games.  FPS is best on the 144Hz.  But, non-FPS games like RTS look best on the 2560x1440....this particular monitor also has the best color reproduction on anything I've seen for under a grand.

My Stuff:  Corsair Obisidan 550D - Phobya Nano-2G 120mm x 5 - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming - Intel 3570K - G.Skill 8GBx2 1866 - EVGA ACX GTX 780 3GB SuperClocked(Step Up to 780 Ti) - Samsung 840 500GB SSD - WD Black 1TB x 2 - LG Blu-ray - ASUS VG248QE + ASUS PB278Q - Corsair M65 with MM400 Pad - Ducky Shine II MX Brown with Gray/White Keycaps - Corsair K70 MX Red - CoolerMaster Quickfire TK MX Brown - Ducky Pro2 MX Blue with Gray PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Clears with Gray/Blue PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Browns with Light Gray and White PBT Keycaps

Pretty much nailed that right on the head...

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

120Hz

-> Smoother animation

-> No tearing (unless you have the computational power to play your games over 120 or 144 (depending on the monitor you have) fps, which I doubt, as already 120fps is pushing a fairly powerful rig already.

-> Ideal for FPS games in competitive environment.

60Hz

-> Option to select IPS panels, which give you visibly better colors and contrast. Improved sharpness, as well. All by giving you wide view angle of 178 degree in all directions. Making it that you perfectly see your screen, no mater how and where you sit (beside behind the screen, obviously), and the improve colors, makes games more immerse, and make you appreciate more the art style of the game, and the hard work by the graphic artists.